TR: Go Ride Fernie! Lots of crapy pics

I have to start by saying this was one of those trips that you come home a better rider. Not only the riding but the area far exceeded my expectations. We ended up staying at Mount Fernie Provincial Park. Which was a great home base for riding, you can access a lot of trails right from the campground. Get there early to get the first come first serve sites (there are 20).

The first thing we did after setting up camp was head to town and bought the guide book as recommended. Even if I rode there for a year I think I would still want one of these things. There only $20 and $5 of that goes to the club. Their trail ratings seemed to be pretty on but just because it was labeled downhill you didn't need a DH bike. Most of these trails would be more fun on a DH but who in the hell would wanna push 40 pounds that far...

Ok some pics, It kinda drizzled all day Friday which made for bad pics and hard riding. Since this is my TR not yours you get to look at the bad pics as well as the good ones.... if there are any.

We found the trail names were fairly accurate to what was going on. Prior to this we were on a trail called Roots... lets just say we were cussing so much from the wet roots we didn't get any pics.

We rode up to castle rock, then turned back and went down Hyper Extension, It was too much fun and impossible to come to a stop so we just went for it, Adam came out with a little reminder of how hard it was. Post clean up....

For our Second ride we decided to start from the campground and went up to The Slunt. It was a hard climb with hike a bikes galore, but man totally worth it. It was my favorite ride of the whole trip even though it was a sweatfest to get up there. It connects in to brokeback ridge which is pretty awesome in its own regards, though there were lots of cowboys in daisy dooks frolicking through the forest.
    The forest was so thick you needed a selection of lenses. I promise the shit eating grin was from The Slunt not the cowboys.
    after that we crossed the river and went into Sheer Woody Forest

Saturday it started to clear up and we were able to see the whole valley and Wow.

We did the morning over in Ridgemont, again there were tons of options of where to go and trail types to ride. Here is a little sampling of ride which included Sidewinder, Eco-terrorist, Kids stuff, Deadfall and Oh Dear.

After a lunch and a nap we went to tackle Project 9. This was a top three for sure. The climb was doable but steep.
    Like all trails in Fernie you are rewarded for you your hard work.

All the riding was starting to make us hungry and Thirsty. We had 4 growlers of fine montana beer to drink but what to do for food.

I had a man size idea

Sunday we met up with waxman and he showed us how to get to up to Swine flu which was was another amazing downhill with a great view at the top

Unfortunately I was to busy taking turf samples to take picture on this ride. I got back to car to realize my talas was pissing oil out the seals. You'll have to ask waxman about the screams and divots, or go ride swine flu I am sure you will find an imprint of face.

I want to thank all you for the tips and waxman for his hospitality. If you haven't been to Fernie I suggest you make the trip. Be ready to stress your gear and your body. You'll probably piss off the Albertans because they already know about it. I swear there are more Alberta plates than BC plates.
    Maybe its from the recent adrenaline high but I put it as my number one MTB trip so far. Putting it above, Fruita, Moab, Mackenzie River, and Durango. Once you get use to funny accents its pretty cool, ehhh.
    Last edited by rludes025; 08-16-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

looks like fun, I like the trail signs.

Thumbs up

Cool TR. I haven't been biking down to Fernie for years, but this makes me want to go again real soon.

Nice work! Hobo dinner looks tasty and I like the Bridger schwag(sticker and hat). Looks like cool riding.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Thanks for the TR; brought back great memories from a few summers back.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Looks like a sweet trip. You sampled some fine trails IMO. I too love the slunt.

No Dirt Diggler? Microwave Tower shuttles? Three Kings? Brad's Gay? Bring the big bike next time and you'll get to some of the good stuff!

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    Glad you guys had fun...also glad you like my trail signs! Next time your here you gotta check out Porky Blue it is truly epic.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels