Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    2,022

    Ear wax plugged up?

    Kinda gross, but I woke up last night with absolutely no hearing in my left ear. It feels like something is lodged in there - q tipping just pushed it deeper into my ear - I'm sure it's wax. Tried a long hot shower, and more q tipping, helped a bit, but I pushed the remainder deeper, and still can't hear.

    Really starting to mess with my inner ear and balance.

    I've read everything from these ear candle thingamajigs that you light and let ooze into your ear (kinda freaked out by that) to dumping a few drops of olive oil in, to sucking it up and going to the doc and having them pull it out.

    Anyone?
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

    - Owl Chapman

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Posts
    4,346
    Big syringe with warm water (salt if you like) maybe even some vinegar in there. Squirt it in there and either flush it out or at least dissolve it smaller until it will flush out. Of course if it's actually a cockroach that crawled into your ear this may not help.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    2,022
    Nice, will try that, thanks. Thought it was ocean water at first from an earlier session yesterday, but it gives no indication that it is liquid.

    Maybe it's a scarab and will eat my brains.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

    - Owl Chapman

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    268
    During a physical, a doctor used a syringe and a giant gob of wax came out. Then I was like holy crap I can hear again, I had no idea that everything was muffled probably for years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    1,027
    The swell was swell up my way yesterday. Lots of fun on the outer sandbar by Fox Island, growing through the day. We got out at 2 as the tide came in to the dunes -- and then it came in for 2 more hours.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,797
    Mineral oil and then the syringe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    leadville
    Posts
    595
    Forget the oil douche and syringe trick, use tongs this will even remove the cockroach.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,564
    Carbamide peroxide, generic version of this stuff:


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,227
    This happened to me once. Went to the doc because I thought I punctured my eardrum. He had a nurse squirt warm water in my ear for a few minutes and some HUDGE chunks of wax came out. Biggest one was the size of the end of my pinky. That'll be $200 bucks please....

    Moral of the story, get some of the wax softener and a large syringe. Let the softener soak in your ear for a while. Then get someone to squirt hot water from the syringe into you ear for a while until hudge chunks of wax and shit fall out. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,056
    the syringe works every time

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    colace (liquid stool softener) also works
    picador

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    2,022
    Wow, didn't expect so many responses...sounds like syringe is the trick.

    Maybe a pictorial TR to follow?

    Yeti, how were the winds up your way? hard south and sucky here....we need to get in the water sometime.

    colace (liquid stool softener) also works
    Stupid question: You mean pour it in the ear?
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

    - Owl Chapman

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,265
    As I've gotten older, I've become more prone to ear infections. I'm in and out of the water all the time, everyday.
    I use a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% alcohol every evening and it helps a lot!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,695
    One of the most continuously painful experiences I've had was after I dove into Lake Powell and the pressure pushed wax deeper in. We were in the middle of a trip and for 3 days there was a constant pounding ear and headache.

    When we got home, I couldn't wait to get to the ER where a jaw breaker size wad of wax was scooped out and more was apparent. I then went to a specialist where he worked for 45 minutes scooping dousing and, yes, vacuumed out the stuff.

    Just cut to the chase and Shop Vac your ears once a month.

    You can get a rubber, round bulb with a spot you can use with soapy water (or other remedies mentioned) to flush out your ears.



    Here is a good link
    .
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    7,187


    do NOT do ear candling. it's bogus. but whatever you do, be careful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    268
    no comment
    Last edited by bsideindy; 08-10-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: none

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,056
    i thought ear candling was a crock of shit, but my last girlfriend really wanted to try it so i did. not sure how much it actually did, but i felt pretty good after.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,132
    Having had my eardrum punctured by a doctor in the ER when I went there for this very thing, I have some experience with ears after also having gotten a tympanoplasty (eardrum reconstruction) twice. Best advice my ENT had was...if you have one of those removable shower heads, tilt your head to the side and run warm water in your ear every so often when you shower. You should be able to hear and feel it hitting your eardrum. That takes the wax out before you get a buildup (also know as swimmer's ear).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •