An Old-Schooler Enters the 21st Century of Mountain Bikes

I've been a suspension Luddite. Didn't saw the need for FS, maybe 'cause there was no suspension when I started riding MTB.

So my '92 S-Works M2 and I have had a good relationship over the years. A fast and sturdy mount - It fell off the top of a friend's car on the freeway at 55mph (f***ing Thule racks!), and went off a 50' cliff, with nothing more than a broken bar end in one case and a bent front wheel in the other. It served me well in Vet Sport XC until I gave up racing in '98. Everything but the front derailleur was replaced at least three times, with the current setup reflecting durability over weight:

Bomber MX Comp with a whole 85mm of travel.
    Thudbuster "rear suspension"
    LX hollowtech crank (couldn't justify the $1/gram uplift to XT).
    XT derailleurs, pedals, hubs
    Gripshift (Attack)
    V-brakes - XT in back, Avid SD7 in front with XT levers
    Rhinolite rear rim and a Mavic m317 front, running a 2.1 Nevegal in back and a 2.2 Veloceraptor in front.

Alas, my surgically repaired back and shoulder no longer absorb the punishment inflicted by this mount - even with the Thudbuster . With the fork starting to leak, I finally went looking for something from this century, and ended up with this

A 2010 Stumpy FSR elite. Seller's fiance just moved in with him, and didn't think bicycles should be hanging from their dining room ceiling. With orders to thin the herd, he opted to sell this after what he claims were four rides.

It's stock except for the wheels and hubs - he changed to Ringle disc jockey hubs and equalizer rims when the stock DT 420SL rims separated after two rides. Thanks to Missiongravity, Rludes and ScottyB for the input on the wheels.

Not wild about the wheel color, but at a price ~60% MSRP, I couldn't resist. Switched out the craptastic SLX thumbshifters for Gripshift, the stock grips for Ergons G2's, the saddle from the M2, and took it out for a 2hr shakedown ride yesterday - by myself, so no action shots

Holy shite, what a difference! It's less than 1 lb heavier than the M2. I climb faster. I can bang through roots, rocks, etc rather than constantly which line won't hurt me. My forearms don't ache from braking. My back & shoulders don't feel like I've boxed for 10 rounds with 16oz gloves. The saddle isn't 4" above the bars, so steep, rough descents are a whole lot less exciting. I'm in luv!

So, now the question becomes what I do with the M2. It's a classic, fits really well, and deserves a nice retirement after serving me faithfully for so long. Been thinking about going rigid SS or 1x9 for putzing around. Any other ideas?

[/blog]

1x8 = better than 9. SS is for masochists that don't want to admit they are actually wanna be hipsters

Nice bike BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    So, now the question becomes what I do with the M2. It's a classic, fits really well, and deserves a nice retirement after serving me faithfully for so long. Been thinking about going rigid SS or 1x9 for putzing around. Any other ideas?
    SS but not rigid, keep that Bomber MXC on there.

If you have the $$ I would suggest trying this setup with a more modern crank. You can find an old LX or Hone Hollowtech II on eBay etc for cheap.

Or you can just use a singleator etc.

I would turn the old bike into a bitchin' commuter.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    So, now the question becomes what I do with the M2.
    My '93 M2 Stumpjumper (first nice mountain bike I ever had):

Carbon fork, Mary bars, 3x7 drivetrain (XT w/ thumbshifters), Avid BB7 front disc & Arch Rival rear V-brake.

Like your Thudbuster, I went with a titanium seatpost years ago, to take some of the edge off. It helped a little, but that bike rides very stiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I dunno if you have or want a road bike but IMO old highend hardtails that get put out to pasture because their owners want a fully make great touring/road bikes

Before he could freeride it into trash ,I converted my kids old steel framed kona into a great road bike ,I mounted lightweight slicks or 1.9's ,I found a solid fork in the LBS's junk bin for 20$ which makes it easer to mount racks and also lighter ,great for smooth trails/fun riding with the GF who doesnt REALLY mtnbike /toured in france & alaska

or just sell it

Thanks for the input folks

My road bike ('02 Spesh carbon frame with ultegra gruppo) doesn't get much use - kinda tough to turn my head to see behind since the cervical spine fusion, and I refuse to use a mirror. And since I work from home now , a commuter bike doesn't make a lot of sense at present.

That said, I really like what El Chup did with his old stumpy - that is one stylin' ride! Would be a bulletproof commuter. What crankset are you running? Are they 180's or do the skinny crank arms just make them look long?

Creaky, that bottom bracket is interesting. Will def look into it if I go SS. Probably a winter project, along with a fork rebuild. I do like El Chup's carbon fork though...

Thanks again for the ideas. Much to contemplate...

FYI- This thing plugs into your bar end on your road bike and is pretty inconspicuous
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...Removable.html