Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiandbike View Post
    I actually picked up that head in a 75mm bowl mount with a set of tripod legs off Amazon recently. All metal except for a switch or two. Not bad for the price ($150 for the kit, looks like it is discounted down to $140 now) and the Chinese company that makes these (Ningbo/Weifeng/Fancier/ePhoto...all the same) is the largest tripod manufacturer in the world. Tilt drag is adjustable. Pan drag seems to be set at a fixed resistance.

Is it a Sachtler? Absolutely NOT. Will it work if you're considering a 701/501 and already in the budget realm? So far signs point to yes. No stickers though.
    I'm thinking about buying that kit: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fancier-Professional-Heavy-Camcorder-Tripod/dp/B003UOHPQU"]Amazon.com: Fancier Professional Heavy Duty Video Camcorder Tripod Fluid Drag Head Kits by Fancier WF717 Black: Camera & Photo[/ame]. It doesn't say anything about the weight though. I want to be able to carry it on my Burton Zoom pack.

I was thinking about building that Cheesycam DUI rig for follow shots. But I'm torn on whether I want a cage or a cage w/ detachable shoulder mount (like the viicolor, rigstek, indisystem). Any suggestions? It seems like if I want to add follow focus and a bunch of accessories a cage rig is going to be hard to use.

It's not the lightest thing around, which on the one hand is good for stability. At least 10 lbs total. Haven't tried throwing it on a pack for extended distances, but it does get relatively small. I'm considering a monopod for the bigger hikes.

I'm considering this one...anybody know the difference between the WF717 and WF 718? Misprint maybe?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UOMX08/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2ISCC5HPW8KU9"]Amazon.com: Fluid Drag Head Video Tripod Camcorder Tripod Video Tripod Heavy Duty Professional Tripod By Francier WF718: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Looks like a flat mount versus a 75mm ball head on the 717. The 717 head also has a different quick release plate. Legs are different from the kit I picked up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That head Dipstick posted is for pros, not Dentists. Keep in mind they're not marketing it to you guys, but for the dudes who are showing up at press events with multi-person crews including audio, DSLRs rigged with matte boxes, and producers.

Jeebus help us all.
    People are shooting pressers on the 5D? What happens when they hit the 12 minute recording limit?

They shoot cuts. Seriously.

BRIDGER.DEION Guest
    Rememeber, compressing to these means reducing the quality & resolution. The original file cannot be reproduced exactly from these files.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They shoot cuts. Seriously.
    What does that mean?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

When you shoot a press conference (unless you're live) you don't need to roll on the whole thing head-on. Your reporter/producer will tell you when to roll and when to shoot cuts (cutaway shots - used for editing.)

In the 12min. scenario Dipstick asked about you are limited by the 5DMkII (actually by the card, I think - not sure) to only shooting a continuous 12 minute chunk before you need to stop the recording, let the buffer clear, and shoot some more. To mitigate this the shooters will stop recording the head-on shot of the person giving the presser and will go off sticks to shoot cutaways, by necessity starting and stopping the continuous recording.

Cutaways are usually shots of the audience (wide and tight) and wide shots, off-angle, and other detail shots of the podium (let's say there are multiple senators speaking - a detail of the podium would be the other senators listening.)

This is very similar to the old film days when you were limited to the amount of film in a magazine. The terms A-roll and B-roll are from that - the A-roll would be the head-on shot of the person talking, the B-roll the shots you'll use in editing the package together.

Gotcha. Thanks!

The 12 minute rule actually comes from this very intentional function that canon programmed in so that the DSLRs aren't in the category of 'video cameras'. Had something to do with extra licensing or some stupid shlt. It's not the card at all. Pretty dumb though.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by deciblast View Post
    I'm thinking about buying that kit: Amazon.com: Fancier Professional Heavy Duty Video Camcorder Tripod Fluid Drag Head Kits by Fancier WF717 Black: Camera & Photo. It doesn't say anything about the weight though. I want to be able to carry it on my Burton Zoom pack.

I was thinking about building that Cheesycam DUI rig for follow shots. But I'm torn on whether I want a cage or a cage w/ detachable shoulder mount (like the viicolor, rigstek, indisystem). Any suggestions? It seems like if I want to add follow focus and a bunch of accessories a cage rig is going to be hard to use.
    Ended up with the above WF717 package. Couple thoughts.

1) Its almost all metal. Only the knobs are plastic.
    2) It "feels" like something that should have cost more than it did
    3) It is not light---but very sturdy.
    4) This is my first ever legit tripod, so keep that in mind, but the fluid head is as good as I'll need for my purposes. Period. It's very (very) smooth and holds my 550D w/70-200 F4L without any issue.

I'll probably pick up some lighter sticks to put this head on eventualy but for now, I'm impressed.

Does anyone have any experience with the Manfrotto 701HDV Mini fluid head?

I'm looking for a decent fluid head in the <$200 range (maybe it doesn't exist but I'm poor). Weight and durability are the most important things to me. It will be going on a carbon fiber vanguard tripod and will be hiked far into the BC so the lighter the better. I will be using it with a 7D, the largest lens would be a 70-200, most if the time its a 28-135.

Any other suggestions?
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

701 still my best option for under $200? I broke a few parts on my ghetto fluid head, time to replace it. I do not have a ball leveler on my tripod.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I like the weight of the 501 better (3.5lbs). The 701 is really light (1.8lbs), which might be beneficial in a hike setting, but not beneficial if you want a stable tripod. The 501 couterbalance seems to be perfect for my camera and standard zoom lens as well. But yes, they are both great fluid heads for the money.

And if you want a light head you could go with this monopod for a bit more money and swap the head back and forth. That way you would have sticks and a monopod you could use and one head. I swap this light head off this monopod and put it on my skate dolly.
    Last edited by gameface; 03-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    manfrotto 501 head
    Love this.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    701 still my best option for under $200? I broke a few parts on my ghetto fluid head, time to replace it. I do not have a ball leveler on my tripod.
    HELL NO

Add to cart for price yo. Wish they were that cheap when I bought one.

And then buy a half bowl tripod

Will that 501 fit on this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9804.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	94428
    ?

And is there a ball head I should order to go with it, or do I save up for a new tripod with one-o-those?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Maybe with a lot of duct tape and jb weld.

What is that?

Center pole from my tripod.... it's hexagonal and an inch across.... for what its worth.

Good thing I just picked up a new roll of duct tape

I'm guessing I need to get a tripod with a circular center pole...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

No, different legs have different poles. Some Manfrottos have round, others have triangular hexagon. That pole should have a plate at the other end that secures to the head.

Look at this example. The pole is a part of the tripod system and the plate should remain on the pole and you mount the head to that. They should have a standard size 3/8" screw mount.

Copy, it does at the other end, I'll figure out dimensions... Cool, probably will pull the trigger before I need to have that money for my down payment
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    The pole is a part of the tripod system and the plate should remain on the pole and you mount the head to that.
    Yeah this...you need to fix your tripod first, then worry about a video head.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yeah this...you need to fix your tripod first, then worry about a video head.
    It's the part of the fluid head that locks the camera on that broke... now I can't get the head off of the plate and center pole (now that I'm trying to get it off to see if the 501 will fit on it)... I'll give it another hour then I'm over it.... It looks like I may need the whole kit and caboodle. I'm guessing I don't want bottom spreaders on the new tripod if I'm going to be shooting in snow

Any recs, there are like 20 combos with the 501 on B&H? I want to spend around $300 or under.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Dude, spreaders are your best friend in deep snow.......seriously. Maybe not floor spreaders vs mid section spreaders but it's better than nothing. I bought my libec tripod mostly because I could put a spreader on it for retarded deep snow.

Just man up and throw one of those sections in a vice. Probably the part you don't want

Set the tripod up, brace 2 of the legs with your legs and spin the head counter-clockwise. It should loosen up. That is why those type of poles aren't cylindrical.

This is what I have and works fine for what I use it for.