Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sorry in advance for this...

but i need some help. 7-8 buddies that have hit either Whistler or Jackson the last 7 years for ski trips are looking to go elsewhere. Thinking about Vail/Beaver Creek or Telluride. 8 day trip taking into account mountain, town, night life, etc - where do we go? Thanks a ton - Koko

Quote Originally Posted by koko85 View Post
    but i need some help. 7-8 buddies that have hit either Whistler or Jackson the last 7 years for ski trips are looking to go elsewhere. Thinking about Vail/Beaver Creek or Telluride. 8 day trip taking into account mountain, town, night life, etc - where do we go? Thanks a ton - Koko
    GO somwhere besides the i-70 corridor...unless you like crowds,expensive lift tickets, and little snow...Both Whistler and Jackson get gobbs more snow than i-70 stuff...So I would say for the prices you are paying in whistler or jackson you guys could stay at a hostel in nelson, b.c. and cat ski...fuck the crowds. And you still get the night life that is so very important,.,,

Why would you travel to CO from out of state and go to an I-70 resort?

How about Aspen or Utah? For a trip of that length it seems like you'd want to go some place with some options.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    I believe the standard reply is: Have you thought about Lebanon, NH. ? Whaleback is about 20 minutes away, there is all kinds of shops and restaurants in White River Junction and they serve those dope pop-overs at that place just over the border in Vermont.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    How about Aspen or Utah? For a trip of that length it seems like you'd want to go some place with some options.
    Go to Utah. Where do you live? What about accessibility? Is this a consideration? If not, then maybe a ski touring trip like this: http://www.bearmountaineering.ca/ A buddy of mine did it and loved it. They jacked the prices up this year from last though, so maybe there are better deals out there.

Utah has many options and no traffic. But the nightlife isn't epic. If you need to get stupid at a ski town bar/restaurant every night, then don't waste your time in Utah. The snow is too good to slog through it hungover.

I think Aspen, T-Ride, Crested Butte and Silverton are really the only resorts I would come from out of state to go to in Colorado. All of those (except Silverton) have pretty good town's with good vibes. Shit, I would hit up T-Ride, Crested Butte and Silverton all in the one trip if you have 8 days.

You can find some great terrain at all three of these places. Aspen is obviously great as well, but will cost you a little more.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are coming from sea level and are not in good shape, skiing Silverton, th Butte and T-Ride for 8 days might kill you. That needs to be a consideration.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 08-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I think Aspen, T-Ride, Crested Butte and Silverton are really the only resorts I would come from out of state to go to in Colorado. All of those (except Silverton) have pretty good town's with good vibes. Shit, I would hit up T-Ride, Crested Butte and Silverton all in the one trip if you have 8 days.

You can find some great terrain at all three of these places. Aspen is obviously great as well, but will cost you a little more.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are coming from sea level and are not in good shape, skiing Silverton, th Butte and T-Ride for 8 days might kill you. That needs to be a consideration.
    If you wanted to go to Crested Butte or Telluride, might be best to watch the weather. Both mountains inbounds are smaller than Vail and snow less reliable. I'd book Telluride before CB, since it's just an amazing place in general. I do love the old town part of CB, but Telluride is hard to beat for surroundings. CB is small and needs snow for the good stuff to open I think. On the other hand, Vail is a forest and meadow mountain which doesn't require that much snow before 80% of the resort is open and fun. Average snow is enough to open 99% or more of Vail.

From my perspective, if I had to choose ahead of time and was hoping for good snow, I'd pick Aspen. It seems like if you took 5 years, Vail and Aspen would have 3 or 4 good years, while Telluride and CB would only be good 2 or 3 out of 5 years. Remember, the best mountain is always the one that's received the most snow recently.

Great info guys - i really appreciate the feedback...good advice PowTrees - thanks...

coming from jackson/whistler and thinking about i-70? damn. telluride sounds awesome though. not gonna snow in utah this year, still in the 90's everyday. i hear it's snowing in MT and AB though!

Mammoth hands down.

Vail. Def Vail.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

how often do road closures happen or is it really a non-issue cause mammoth was tops on the list until then... its the only concern we had as we cant really afford to miss flights back to our respective cities...

Road closures are not really a big problem at Mammoth...It happen but not usually an issue..rent a 4wd. On the other hand the airport can and will close more often and then you would have drive to fly out of Reno or LA or Ontario.

How about North Lake Tahoe (Squaw, Alpine, etc.)? We'd love for you and your friends money to be spent here.

La Nina year = go back to Whistler or Jackson again.

La Nina year = stay the hell away from SW CO (and maybe Mammoth and Tahoe, though it depends).

General rule of thumb if you want good snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

If you go to Tahoe, stay here -

http://www.seansontheshore.com/

Worked for 20 of us
    Where am I?

Dude, screw I-70. Coming from Whistler and Jackson you'll be severely disappointed. I would say go with Telluride. After coming from trips to JH and Whistler, you'll be happiest there. That being said, it could be a tough winter for Telluride, so I would be open to make a somewhat last minute call. I know that's easier said then done, but if you want the best skiing that's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

La Nina year = stay the hell away from SW CO (and maybe Mammoth and Tahoe, though it depends).

This.

The I-70 corridor is only for weekend warriors from Denver!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Thirded. In a good La Nina season, the PNW and northern Rockies see around three times as many powder days as do the southern tier of states which tend to languish for weeks under storm deflecting domes of high pressure. The MT Baker crew is already talking about their record Nina season.

FYI - I had fucking ICE! on my truck this morning. Yes, the Tetons were below 32 degrees at 6100 ft in the middle of August and we've been getting fairly consistent rains for most of the summer. I don't think it has broken 85 degrees all summer. Bodes well for the winter, I think, as the sub 400 inch seasons seem to be preceded by hot summers. I fell in the river yesterday and I was shivering my ass off for awhile.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Second Squaw with side trip to Alpine Meadows

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post

Utah has many options and no traffic.
    No traffic? You've never sat on Wasatch Blvd for hours even when the LCC is open?
    Calmer than you dude

+1 more for paying attention to La Nina

other than that i pretty much agree with PowTrees on Colorado, except i'd probably base out Vail for easier access to other resorts for snow chasing.

Interior BC.