Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AK Heli Trip

AK Heli Trip

Ok, before everyone yells, use the search. I have and I have found lots of information.

I am leaning toward PNH or Alaska Backcountry Adventures. I have read some reveiws, and found a lot of info on PNH but not much on ABA.

Here is what I am looking for: (in order of highest priority to lowest)
    Killer Terrain
    Likelyhood of getting out
    backup plan (catski) if we dont get out
    low key lodge
    hot tub would be nice though

Here is what I have already found out:

PNH - Sounds perfect, but worried about no fly days, being in cordova. No backup plan

ABA - Like the idea of being on thompson pass, interested to learn more about the new cabins, sounds like a "no frills" operation

CPG - Easier to fly in, but sounds like the terrain isnt as good. Dont like the idea of staying at the hotel alyeska. Much prefer a small lodge feel

Valdez Heli - recommended from a friend with a connection. Seems pricier though.

What am I missing? Anyone have any more insight for me?

Thanks!

I can only vouch that ABA is really fun. The no frills has its advantages. The guides are old school bad mofo's and they pioneered Thompson for the most part so thats my take.

Ive heard PNH is dope, ive just never been. I would do Haines before Cordova based on ski movies
    Hello darkness my old friend

A friend of mine goes every year to PNH for the month of April. I am always suprised at how few fly days he gets, and what is considered a good number of fly days. I have seen a lot of his movies, a bunch of helmet cam stuff, and I have to say it looks completely awesome.....the terrain is the shit you read/dream about.....one of his best friends has gone up the past two years for 7-10 days. He usually gets 2-3 fly days while he is there. he says its mentally taxing but absolutely incredible.

Two great trips with VHC. Their cat backup is a huge plus. GM Matt White and his crew are great. Their new lodging setup is good. Can't miss with VHC, even if the weather is not as cooperative.

I am interested in PNH, and will be heading there at some point. Kevin seems to run a tight op and terrain looks $$.

Fill your bird with your peeps, is all I will say.

FWIW, had a great day trip with the ABA guys. They were hustling the group along to get in more runs, even though we were paying a flat rate.

Even with the new lodging I suspect it's pretty basic. They were looking to bring a cat up from Cali, don't know if that is still happening. If so, all the better.

If you are not set on Valdez, as a lot of posts here will tell you, Alaska Heliskiing in Haines is a great, if barebones, op and probably gives you a bit better chance at getting out. Not scientific, but we got 5.5/7 in mid March.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

As far as towns go Cordova takes the win. I want to move there but my wife won't just because there's no road. Considering you can get terrain thats over your head in just an hour or two hike from Anchorage I don't think the terrain will be the limiting factor in your heli trip. Plus on down days at CPG there's Turnagain, Alyeska, or you could drive 2 hours and get to Hatcher Pass.

My trip report from ABA last season is in my signature line... I can say that they are brotastic.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

the silverton crew...good times.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

FYI, there's VHC and VHSG.

I was with Matt White's VHC.

Quote Originally Posted by WICS View Post
    Two great trips with VHC. Their cat backup is a huge plus. GM Matt White and his crew are great. Their new lodging setup is good. Can't miss with VHC, even if the weather is not as cooperative.

I am interested in PNH, and will be heading there at some point. Kevin seems to run a tight op and terrain looks $$.

Fill your bird with your peeps, is all I will say.
    Is VHC Valdez heli?

PNH terrain is killer, the vibe at the lodge is cool, and the guides are great.
    The back up plan there involves hiking up behind the lodge for some turns or going to Mt. Eyak to ride the chair.

Getting out is really luck of the draw. You might score a great week or you might sit in the lodge at either ABA or PNH. ARG claims to fly more days than the other ops in the Valdez area, so you should consider checking them out as well.

Like WICS said, fill the bird with your peeps.
    Last edited by RiderX; 08-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.

I prefer Haines over Valdez and Cordova personally

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

never skied up there but i do know that jerry hanse with aba is one of the top guides up there. i knew him from my old bridger days he started out with coombs and has worked up there for a long time, they call him "king of the chugach" i think he does a lot of private heli stuff thru aba. hes the man and would put you into awesome skiing.

VHC = valdez heli camps (where I went twice)

VHSG = valdez heli ski guides

different companies

No matter where you go, if you get the weather it will be a trip of a lifetime for you.

We would obviously love to have you. The weather topic is always the big topic. We love it when folks think that Cordova gets all the weather. We are only 30 miles from Valdez. We dont count "days" when an operation gets out for a road run at 630pm. Yeah you may get 1 or 2 extra "630pm runs in Valdez, but you have spent the entire day in the parking lot waiting for that....and thats ok, just different.

We have a chair lift with some really good touring options and town is 2.5 miles away, not 30 miles or a 45 minute drive...again not that we are better than anyone else.

We also have 3 aircraft with fuel caches in the field. We dont share our terrain with anyone as we are just far enough away to have it to ourselves.

If your loking for a cat ski back up, CPG is the only operation with true "cat skiing". A white out in Valdez is a white out....no trees in the VHC cat terrain...Cannot comment on the cat back up in Haines as I have just not seen there cat terrain. I am betting its good, but just dont know.

Again, as you do your research, you will find the company that best suits your needs. Everyone has there own "nitch" and will do there best to make certain you get it when the weather is on! Remember, the Chugach holds the world record for snowfall! There is no such thing as our weather is better than yours. All of us are 30 miles apart from one another. If they have a "blue hole", well hmmmm....sure

Our return rate, that we are extremely thankful for is close to 80%.

Anyhow great thread! Just ask lots of questions and you will find what your looking for.

...I would rate our guides with some of the best skiers / guides in the world! We often tell folks to be careful what they wish for! We make it our mission to give you the best ski runs of your life and you get 8-12 runs a day. That equals around and hour and twenty minutes of fly time or $1000 for a big day. 4 heli hours (3 big days), all your meals, lodging, transportation, Access to 3 A Stars (means not much waiting) $4,775. Only $3300 of that is for your heli time. Odds are you will not go over that...it just does not happen often. If it does, your stoked and you really got it good!

Quinner

cordova has a chair lift... seems like a good backup plan to me
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorth View Post

If your loking for a cat ski back up, CPG is the only operation with true "cat skiing". A white out in Valdez is a white out....no trees in the VHC cat terrain...Cannot comment on the cat back up in Haines as I have just not seen there cat terrain. I am betting its good, but just dont know.
    We think it's pretty good in Haines. But then again.....some cat skiers aren't into spine lines!

Old Faithful in all her glory

big ol' trees

fat stacks

dropping into Ewok Village......old growth hemlock skiing (2300' vert of it)

everything you see here

an easy five minute ridge hike from the upper cat drop off
    Last edited by stalefish3169; 08-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.

PNH should be your choice...

Quote Originally Posted by UTskiHokie View Post
    Ok, before everyone yells, use the search. I have and I have found lots of information.

I am leaning toward PNH or Alaska Backcountry Adventures. I have read some reveiws, and found a lot of info on PNH but not much on ABA.

Here is what I am looking for: (in order of highest priority to lowest)
    Killer Terrain
    Likelyhood of getting out
    backup plan (catski) if we dont get out
    low key lodge
    hot tub would be nice though

Here is what I have already found out:

PNH - Sounds perfect, but worried about no fly days, being in cordova. No backup plan

ABA - Like the idea of being on thompson pass, interested to learn more about the new cabins, sounds like a "no frills" operation

CPG - Easier to fly in, but sounds like the terrain isnt as good. Dont like the idea of staying at the hotel alyeska. Much prefer a small lodge feel

Valdez Heli - recommended from a friend with a connection. Seems pricier though.

What am I missing? Anyone have any more insight for me?

Thanks!
    PNH is as perfect as your going to find. As far as weather and down days, no matter which op you go with they all get the same weather, anyone who tells you different obviously is in good with the mighty snow gods.. Kevin and Jess have created the best atmosphere. Mt Eyak is the back up plan and when we arrived this year in March it was chest deep. Cordova itself is a quick 2 mile drive (provided for free from the staff) or walk. Orca lodge is a modest and comfortable fishing lodge with lots of history. and you are NOT fighting with any other operation as they are the only ones there. This should definitely be your choice

ABA - Secluded out in TP. 30 miles from Valdez and unless you have a motor-home you will start to get cabin fever for sure. Again weather wise, they get all the same weather that everyone else does, no one is immune...And you will be fighting for the same terrain and zones as the other ops in the area.

CPG - You said it yourself, right out of the hotel doesnt give you the same Alaskan feeling that PNH gives you. Again the cats are not much fun when you cant see anything..And same weather as everyone else

VHC - By far the most expensive, I didnt like having to pay almost 3k more to be forced to get out on the cat in pure white out conditions (no trees) and doing the same run over and over and over again at a snails pace because you cant see. It also has a tendency to give you vertigo both in the cat and on the run(s). They also take vertical off your package whether or not you choose to ride the cat or not. And the vertical punch card means that you are not guaranteed a seat when they do fly..Def not the choice you should be making...Last but not least you are always fighting to be the first op into the zone before the other 4 ops get there

I have been going to AK for 5 years now and after spending the first couple years in Valdez and checking out ALL of the local operations, I ended up in Cordova with best.

Good luck with your trip whoever you go with..It will truly change your life!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ powderhound72 View Post
    As far as weather and down days, no matter which op you go with they all get the same weather, anyone who tells you different obviously is in good with the mighty snow gods..
    Park City and Alta get the same weather too. Right? They're just a few miles apart.

Yes, luck is a big part of getting good weather in AK, but to say that all ops get the same weather is just not true. Sorry.

Awesome. Information overload, but in a good way. Points North is really sounding pretty good at this point. Still interested in ABA though. Need to take all the info back to the other(s) that are planning to go.

And I am not buying that weather is always the same 30 miles apart (great analogy with Alta/Park City. The real concern is being right on the water seams like it may cause some low visibility that would shut us down.

PNH

UTskiHokie,

I visited PNH twice over the last two seasons. To travel from Germany to Cordova takes me ca. 14 flight hours and one stopover in Seattle each way but it is worth it, for sure! Please find below some answers to your posted questions.

On the one hand the weather is always a big risk in Alaska (for every operator!) but on the other hand the immense snowfall creates these unique conditions! When you get the weather skiing in the Chugach Mountains is mind blowing!!!

At PNH they do not call it “down days” (when they occur) they call it “activity days”. Your guide personally organizes these days together with you. Last season we did some hiking and sea kayaking – awesome landscape, animals, etc! Of course Mt. Eyak is an option, it’s not big, but makes fun for a day (if conditions allow they offer ice climbing).

In Europe we are not very familiar with cat-skiing; it looks good and seems to make fun. But in AK you want to sit in one of these beautiful A-Star helicopters flying into the zone, landing on the top of a mountain with a >7500 vertical feet powder run…that’s why you are coming to Alaska and the Chugach Mountains! The PNH terrain is awesome, they are not sharing it with another operator and you get what you want…but be careful, it is a league of its own out there!

The atmosphere at PNH is great. Kevin, Jessica, pilots, guides, kitchen crew and all the helping hands give you the feeling to ski with a big family! The lodge is nice and directly located at the waterfront (they have a sauna but no hot tub). The helicopters are waiting for you in front of the lodge and we often take our complete gear with us to the breakfast which saves some minutes for an extra coffee if you are one of the first crews out.

Hope that helps somewhat in your decision making process.

sd powder

PNH

I have been up to PNH 4 of the past 5 years for a week each time and experienced the entire gambit of trips. The first time I went up, we skied every day and the weather was perfect. The next two trips, got only one day each time and then this year, we got 3 days (the 3 best ski days of my life). To be honest, it does seem that PNH has a few more down days then other operations but anywhere you go in AK is going to be a crapshoot. And any risk you take with the weather is worth it because the terrain is absolutely incredible. The guides will take you anywhere you want and scare the s*** out of you and the convenience of sleeping 20 ft away from the A-stars is great. Nothing better then waking up to rotor blades turning in the morning! I attached a video I made of our trip this year if you want to take a look...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHao3mw__c"]YouTube- PNH Alaska Heli Skiing 2010[/nomedia]

The best place to go heli-skiing is where there is fresh snow and blue skies....

You can ask/post all day long and you will get a mixed bag of answers. There are groups that go for a week and ski every day. There are groups that go and never step foot into the helicopter-no matter where you go. This is part of heli skiing and the chance one must be willing to take when going on a trip like this. It would be ideal if you could call an operation and let them know that you and your buddies would like to do some pow skiing a week from next thursday, but it simply doesn't work that way-no matter which operation you wind up going with. Mother nature is will always win. What I know from experience is that it takes a mix of luck and patience to 'get it'.

Terrain: No matter where you go, there is enough terrain to suit what you're looking for. All of the operations have had pro athletes/film crews but can also accommodate your average recreational skier. Getting to ski what you want/are able is more of a matter of your group dynamics/skiers abilities and the guides sense of what any given group/person is up for. Trust me, it's far better to ski something that is 10% below your level than to ski at 150% of your ability. Movies make it look all to easy. Don't get me wrong, it's great to challenge yourself, and you will be challenged (it's part of the reason to go to AK right?). Expect (hope) that your guide takes you on something that is 'easy' for your first few runs. Just because you are a good resort skier doesn't mean you will instantly master AK conditions. You may not admit to it, but you'd rather complain that your first run was wimpy rather than secretly feel like you're going to die and feel that your guide is crazy. The last thing your guide wants to do is spend his/her day picking up clients gear-or worse. The last thing you want to do is feel gripped all day.

Something you left off of your initial list was safety. PNH has a great reputation on this end and is something they are EXTREMELY serious about. You will notice this from the moment you arrive. PNH is very well organized and run in a professional manner on all ends. They have learned a lot over their past 10+ years of being in business and lead the charge on safety protocols. I have visited other operators and was shocked to see how loosely things were run in comparison.

A few other notes:

Cat skiing. If you want to go cat skiing (not sure why you would) then book a cat skiing trip.
    Valdez can be a fun place. It is also 100% up to YOU to get around, find a place to stay (RV or hotel), feed yourself, entertain yourself, etc..
    PNH is akin to going to camp. There are so many repeat customers (what does that tell you?) that it's somewhat of a reunion each year. All of your accommodations are included in your package.
    Down days are are a fact of life. You will encounter a few on your trip. Do you want to spend it in an RV or at a lodge?

^^ Yo Court- Whassup Mang? You finally Joined TGR, eh?

Imraan
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

PNH ROCKS!

Myself and my powder junky friends travel from Chamonix, we like it steep , to PNH every year for 2 weeks at the end of March. I have been 5 years in total and have averaged 4 ski days each week. I skied 12 out of 14 days at PNH one year! My legs were shot....! If you get 3 or 4 full ski days in a row you will be begging for a down day! Court hit the safety nail on the head. AK is not a place to take risks and PNH have an exemplary safety record! I have considered trying other AK outfits but I can't see how anywhere else could beat the whole PNH experience. Great crew, A-Stars right outside ready to go as soon as the weather clears, fantastic food, low key friendly lodge to hang out at, in a beautiful location, cool little town to explore and enough varied down day stuff to do. Quinner and Jess and their team have achieved their great reputation and loyal repeat clients for good reason.
    YEAH PNH