Smile Moving to Newport/Costa Mesa (aka I'm Employed Bitches!)

As the title says, I'm going to be moving to Newport/Costa Mesa at the end of the month. Couch surfing with a buddy from college for a bit, and then finding a place in September/October 1. Looking forward to finally getting my career really started.

I lived off the 405 and the 22 until I was 16, so I know the area fairly well, but I still have a few questions.

1. Recommendations on places to live? Office is right next to South Coast Plaza and the Performing Arts Center. I was looking at a place on Flower about 10 mins walk from the office, but my buddy said that's already getting a little shady. I was thinking close to the office for now, and then maybe move closer to the beach in a year. We'll see. Other places I was looking at were on 16th St. a couple of blocks off Newport Blvd., and in that general area of Newport. What's the morning commute like up the 55 in the morning? I've heard not too bad until you're north of the 405.

2. Thoughts on local mountain biking? El Moro? Aliso? XC riding.

3. Anybody climb at Rockreation?

4. Beers before ski movies in the fall?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Job? Congrats man! Whatcha going to be doing?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Henry and Harry's Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Amazing...

That's awesome! Congrats man!

Best bet is to be single. Live off seventeenth. If you want to ride, hit me with a pm.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Thanks guys. Gonna be doing water, enviro, and public agency stuff for a small, but pretty badass firm. Exactly what I want to be doing.

GH, I'll PM you when I get some free time next month. Been riding a good amount up here, especially since my running stride is still a bit off from injury. So I'm gonna try to get out a good amount. Thanks for the location advice.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Congratulations on the job! It sounds perfect (except for it being in the OC).

Sweet gig man. Congrats. Enjoy So Cal

Definitely on # 4. Being in LA, I can't help much with the first three! Welcome back to So Cal.

Congratulations, I hope it is a well paying job, otherwise you
    can always live in Riverside.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    2. Thoughts on local mountain biking? El Moro? Aliso? XC riding.

Head up Jamboree to Irvine Park. connect with Weir Canyon trail system for steep single track. Turn right up Santiago Canyon and go to Silverado or on to Modjeska Canyon. More terrain, longer rides, less riders.

Just found this thread. Congratulations C. Kick some ass.

Condolances on the whole OC thing.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Congrats man!

FKNA Colin, congrats! Very stoked for you and you've got to keep me up to date on your job happenings down there.

Lets get brews before you move!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Thanks guys. Gonna be doing water, enviro, and public agency stuff for a small, but pretty badass firm. Exactly what I want to be doing.
    Not all that different from what I do, though most of my public agencies are tribes.

Cool, sounds awesome. Stoked for you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Congrats. Sounds a lot like my move a little over 2 months ago. Took a sweet gig in Irvine and recently moved up to Huntington.

Hit me up if you want to ride sometime.

Slampe, will do.

Congrats man!
    hope to be in your shoes in the next couple of years.

Mazel fuckin' tov!

No insight, though.
    not counting days 2016-17

If come the fall / winter you wanna make some trips to mammoth send me a pm i'll be trying to head up for some BC days as much as I can. congrats on the job
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    If come the fall / winter you wanna make some trips to mammoth send me a pm i'll be trying to head up for some BC days as much as I can. congrats on the job
    Thanks man.

I'll definitely be looking for BC partners. Since passes are now at full price, I definitely won't be looking to ski inbounds for two days every weekend I'm up there.

Don't over look some of the local BC, there is some fun stuff close by if conditions are right. It's a big "if", but most years we get some good local conditions.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Don't over look some of the local BC, there is some fun stuff close by if conditions are right. It's a big "if", but most years we get some good local conditions.
    Yep, I'm aware. But from what the climatologists are saying, we're looking at a strong(ish) La Nina this year, so I'm not holding my breath. Too bad this move wasn't last summer. Would've been fun to get out and explore the San Gabriels in a good year.

Grats on the job man. Still searching in PDX for my part (well, figuring out what I can do that isn't law and contemplating taking the bar in a different state eventually).

Sounds like a great job, pretty much what I would like to be doing. But at this point, I may start chasing ambulances soon.

Any reason not to live down on 52nd Street next to the beach? Like here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=52nd+s...,0.013797&z=16

I'm crashing with a buddy close by so I sort of know what it's like, but I've still only been here for just over two weeks and I've been working a lot.

A little far from Peninsula bars, but not that far (longass walk or cheap cab, but I'm used to cabbing coming from SF). Quieter I'm sure. And one of my friends dating back to like first grade has a place at 20th, so I'm sure I can crash on his couch whenever. The potentially roommate seems cool enough from his emails though, and apparently mountain bikes. I think cool roommate trumps being down by the pier. Meeting him and seeing the place tonight.

At this point I'm basically looking on the Peninsula-ish and in Costa Mesa off Newport Blvd. and 16th or 17th. Work's in one of the buildings next to the performing arts center. I was sorta looking at places around work too, but I think being close to the beach would be a lot cooler. Rent's $730 with a garage spot plus utilities. Shared bath. I think he needs to find a third roommate too.

gonehuckin?

My bike's in storage in my uncle's warehouse in Orange until I move into a place. I'll be down to ride after that. Sometime next month.