California Mags. School me on Santa Cruz Camping etc..

Going for a week with wife and 10 year old starting tomorrow.

Bringing one bike and a coupe of surf boards. " Beginner intermediate"

Camping info would be greatly appreciated. Think New Brighton State park if we can get in..??? Option for hike-a-bike camping available. Totally winging it here. Doing the diaper drive tomorrow night from Vancouver.

Thanks
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I am heading from Seattle to Manzanita OR to camp starting Sunday and then heading to Santa Cruz area to camp at Manresa Park throughout the week. You are going to have a hard time reserving a spot at New Brighton or any other joint at all from nearly SF all the way down to Santa Cruz and just south. I am sure you have done it, but check out the availabilities thru this link: http://www.explorer1.com/santacruz/camping.htm

You will likely have to just show up and see if you get lucky, which is a very real possibility. If you happen to be near Manresa later in the week, PM me and we'll share a brew.

Thanks common. I kind of figured no reservations would be a gamble. kind of an impromptu trip anyway. Do you know if hike-a-bike is still done. I did it 20 years ago on a cycling trip up the coast. no reservations, just show up without a car and your in.

Manresa is generally very quiet, new brighton not so much, but new brighton is always flat in terms of waves. Manresa almost always has waves but they can be really wierd/bad sandbars and you are pretty far away from much civilization. There is another campground even farther south from Manresa called Sunset State Beach. I say go for it in this order: New Brighton>Manresa>Sunset

People always reserve spots and never show up so you can probably find random empty sites each night at New Brighton, but you'll probably have to move every day. I've done it even on busy weekends but I don't know if you want to do that for an entire week.

This place is north of Santa Cruz and since it's private and a little more pricey then the state campgrounds in the area you may be able to find a spot for the week:

www.costanoa.com
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Thanks Sftc
    Car is packed. Leaving in 2 hours.
    Cosanoa looks pretty nice. Will check it out along with new brighton,manresa,sunset.

Will check back on any further updates.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stoepstyle View Post
    Manresa almost always has waves but they can be really wierd/bad sandbars and you are pretty far away from much civilization.
    A whole 10 minutes

Inland not so far there's also Henry Cowell state park.

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Thanks Sftc
    Car is packed. Leaving in 2 hours.
    Cosanoa looks pretty nice. Will check it out along with new brighton,manresa,sunset.

Will check back on any further updates.
    Good luck Baddancer. Maybe we will see ya at Manresa. Me, the wifey and dog will be there on Thursday and Friday night. Silver car with teton sticker, tan Mountain Hardware tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    A whole 10 minutes

Inland not so far there's also Henry Cowell state park.
    I was just about to suggest Henry Cowell.

It's nice and quiet up in Felton and it's just a short run down Hiway 9 to town or you can hit Bonny Doon with a nice drive over Empire Grade.

PS- Make sure to drive from SF to SC down Hiway 1, not 280 to 880.

We always used to camp at Sunset state beach campground when we were kids. I've rolled in a few times as an adult without reservations and have been OK.

campgrounds full. Motel in Santa cruz suites us fine. 20 hour drive. Golden gate traffic nightmare. PCH down was awesome ! Things have not changed here in 20 years.

Thanks for the info may go inland for some camp later this week.

Splat-Empire Grade mmm. You hang out in those parts at all? I was in and out of Boulder Creek for seven or nine years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    A whole 10 minutes

When you consider that the other 99% of surfing in santa cruz is 2 blocks from whatever, thats pretty far. Just speaking relatively