Finally caught a good one.

After many years of fishing in backcountry lakes, local lakes, streams and rivers, I was able to finally land a good sized trout. My buddy invited me out to Crowley Lake, which I have resisted for many years, and we hooked into a few good ones.

I always thought of midging not really fly fishing but I am now a convert. I had planned to buy a new snowmobile but now I am thinking of getting a used sled and a used boat. at times it was boring just staring at an indicator, glorified bobber, but the ends justified the means. What a great time.

Mine

My buddy on Sunday. His was a 28 inch brown. Damn fished wiggled just as I took the picture and the batteries were going dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    After many years of fishing in backcountry lakes, local lakes, streams and rivers, I was able to finally land a good sized trout. My buddy invited me out to Crowley Lake, which I have resisted for many years, and we hooked into a few good ones.
    I have never fished Lake Crowley (not into trolling) but as a teen fished hot creek and the owens river. The owens has some REAL MONSTERS in it. As a teen a caught a brown about 30 inches in the lower owens on a ehc. Owens is not as consistent as hot creek for dries, so you have to nymph it alot. Also lost a fish in the 20's as a teen on a nymph because I thought I was snagged on the bottom. I "unsnagged" myself just to see a mo swim away from where my fly was!! (dad taught me how to fly fish and he only used dries, so I didnt really know how to use anything but dries)

Haven't fished the east walker but their are some big browns there too.

I suck at fishing Hot Creek, the O, and the East Walker. I can nail 8-12 inch fish all day but never hook into the good ones out there.

Were were midging on Crowley. I haven't touched a spin rod in years. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to get decent at fly fishing.

Sexy looking fish! Midging is fly fishing.

Midging is fly fishing
    Especially on those calm days like you had. On calm early season days when the fish aren't deep, you can put floatant on the whole leader and lead cruising fish with midge emergers. Sometimes you can twitch it just before they come close and they will veer to your fly. Every bit as cool as dry fly fishing if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    I suck at fishing Hot Creek, the O, and the East Walker. I can nail 8-12 inch fish all day but never hook into the good ones out there.

Were were midging on Crowley. I haven't touched a spin rod in years. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to get decent at fly fishing.
    How do you fish the O and EW? Do you dry fly? I don't think Hot creek has the monsters the other 2 have, but no way am I putting down HC. The thing is like 20 feet wide, 40 cfs, and it has a whooping 8000 -11000 fish per mile (11,000 was from a dfg snorkel count one year).

Usually dries because I seem to lose a lot of flies in the weeds at Hot Creek. The Upper Owens and the East Walker I use dries, terrestrials, streamers, and nymphs. I have caught fish just not the big ones. I also usually avoid all those areas until fall or early season when all the orvis wearing knobs are gone. Too many tourists fishing on top of you, smoking cigars, guides with their clients who they teach to fish but nothing about etiquette really gets on my nerves. Three more weeks and they'll all be gone.

I am going to try going at dusk and using a mouse just off the bank. I hear that really kills it on those cool September nights.

I caught a big bow on the EW last October. My sisters and I had hired a guide for my dad as a gift and it was for 2 people so...

Caught it about 4 feet out about 18 inches deep on a nymph- didn't seem like where a big fish would hang out. The one thing the guide said was that there was so much food in there that the big boys get a nice spot and just key on whatever's hatching- won't touch anything else. Of course, he already knew what was hatching and that's what we had on. Later he took out his sieve and it was plastered with nymphs that looked just like what we were using. Got to get me one of those things...