Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Looks like the good news for the houses out there is that it's above them and fires tend to climb, unless the thunderstorms raise hell with the winds, as they mentioned.

No doom tonight sorry . Wind event never happened not a sustained wind event anyway . Just an hour ago some swirling wind finishing in NE direction . Went out fire watching at sunset and saw a bit of torching within the fire . Those firs blow up in a second .

Shock and awe today bombing runs and water drops all day . With a wind shift NE tonite blows it back within itself and cooler temps higher humids predicted = doom on hold .

Back to thread . Ski culture in Valley County never existed in the first place . McCall sure maybe by a stretch . But into factions of retirees , weekenders/holiday/powder day Boise people , Vietnam Vets , waterfront property sled ski kids , local ski bum people , and weirdos . In descending order . Not much of ski culture to begin with . Seasons pass for Tam/Brun ran me $475 the last season . Beginning with WROD at Tam (week before Brun ) to May first at Brun . I got my bang for my buck . Passes never were more than 500 at Tam at any time .

The ski culture of McCall is
    " Hows it going haven't seen you in while , when are you leaving ? " Its not a matter of if , but when . It seems everyone is leaving here . There is nobody left to ski with .

How on earth does Wolf make it through the season?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Looks like the lifts will start turning in December.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...-open-dec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Sun Valley-this pic was taken on a February Sunday at 2 pm within view of a lift.
    Bogus-snow is not great but it operates night hours until 10 pm every night of the week so people with regular jobs can still get vert. Neat that you can get 20k by noon or whatever. Bogus allows people to get 20k and work full time. And it's a non-profit. It's job is to give a community cheap, accessible skiing. Which it does.

Brundage-can you say soul. This is a mom and pops place with sweet tree skiing. If you are not afraid of skinning, you can go as big as you want. Plus they have a bloody mary bar on Sundays.
    No, no, that is a Photochop. Sun Valley is never like that. Nothing to see here just keep moving.......

I have had a couple of great days at Bogus. Skied knee deep at Brundage at 3 pm on a Sunday, down the middle of one of the main runs. And the trees....lots of lines in there. Really fun place. Check your extreme at the door, it won't fit in the lodge either.

Edit to add: I did not know about the Bloody Bar. What a wonderful thing to have in a lodge. Looking forward to getting the kids over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Bombs View Post
    Harming the environment ? Its on state land , I guess you havent been on state land in Idaho . Logging prevails , trails spur off in every direction and piles of slash and trash are prevalent .

Early tracks club I wouldnt know since I didnt get there till 11 . Still rode fresh all day .

Not a native westerner but I've learned to not wish ill will on my neighbors .
    Hey Bombs - good attitude, which is sometimes you get lemons, you make lemonade. If you ever head over to SV, hit me up. Would love to show you a couple lines. Not the big pillow lines, but there is some "decent" sidecountry for an old fart, gaper, groomer resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Never got to ski Tamarack, I moved out to Boise for school two years ago and never got a trip in before it tanked. On the other hand, Brundage is a great little spot. I've found countless stashes and great tree skiing. Short hike to upper Hidden Valley/Northwest Passage has some really fun lines with drops, pillows, open bowls, steeps, ect. Hike even farther up the ridge to even more epicness. Hike-able stuff never gets tracked out, with only a small handful of people up there on pow days. Cant wait to go back. I get my gnarly stuff in when I'm back home in Tahoe, Squaw, ect. For what it is (And a $200 college pass) I love it.

Back to Tamarack, a lot of my friends say the Hike-able access there is possibly even better than Brundo....I'll be trying it out this winter forshure, they are also offering a $200 pass, although I don't know if I can give up what I already know is there at Brundage.

Here's an edit I came across a few days ago....shows some fun stuff to be had around tammy...the snow quality doesn't look the best and its not the deepest in this video, but it sure looks like fun.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/3278746"]Amateur Hour : Webisode 1 on Vimeo[/ame]

Looks like the votes have been cast and the lifts open Dec 20th...

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...tamarack-bravo

Tomorrow back to ruining ski culture with $200 passes for 3 more days . Who can afford that ? Flat like some resorts that are oh so cool yo . The future is always uncertain .

That 4 inches of 30 degree magical blower that just fell in 2 hours is gonna suck . That wind gust thingy that just happened is gonna make for a snow condition of shit . Straight up turd sandwich . West Mountain doesnt get any snow . Just ask anyone who has never lived here .

Jaded localism aside I am stoked to have 2 season passes , for a good price .Powder off the chair with high speed quads .

How many places are left in the 48 ? Affordable , reliable snow , no jobs ,cheep housing , snowblower recommended , only trust funders or the last of the American nutjobs need apply . Nutjobs preferred over trusty's because trusty is so played .

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    How on earth does Wolf make it through the season?
    Pro Peak is done, but there is no bad press I guess . I think he's running rentals/ ski school maybe subcontracted . I dont I'm know not a local . I'm not from Boise or Idaho, didnt grow up here , I will never be a Idaho local oh well. .
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...surrected.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...ected-for.html
    Last edited by Tree Bombs; 12-20-2010 at 02:31 AM.

well this doesn't bode well .....

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/sk...ank-of-America
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Maybe has something to do with this form a week ago .
    http://www.idahopress.com/news/state...151291e57.html
    Calgary-based Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, whose properties include Fernie Alpine Resort, was eying the Wildwood Express, which accesses runs on Tamarack's northern boundary, as well as the small Buttercup lift.

But Tamarack homeowners who want the lifts to stay put in hopes the resort will survive its financial woes sought restrictions on helicopters used to remove them.

Nancy Isserlis, a Spokane, Wash.-based lawyer for the Canadians, says those demands boosted the removal's expense and complexity, prompting her client to walk away from a deal.
    It was great year at Tam learned more lines in bounds that turned out to be a great time . Rode Brundage just as many times and learned a few more lines . My best days were at Tam when the snowline was at the old halfpipe and Brundage was grey and Tam was blue. Upper stuff was fluff and bottom was spring , fast run outs , getting vert flying around popping off all the features . Smooth and fast not all chopped and rutted . Quick hikes reveal afternoon delight . People figured the mountain out this year and some Brundage and Boise peeps were spotted maybe having fun . I know its not the predictability of Kid inn Valley, Engen, North or Main Street but the cornice , the spine , vista and mystery sometimes deliver in a more appealing way . Thats just me and Seargents just dont compare to northcountry . It snowed too not a ton but a lot .
    Last edited by Tree Bombs; 09-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Are they opening Tam this year?

Yes , probably yes . The bank still has to approve operations . 2 passes for $550 is the deal now . http://www.tamarackidaho.com/winter_...and_passes.php The bank it seems has more interest in it running than not since they still want money at some point for it .

The best gossip site. Lift removal ,bankruptcy court etc . Scroll down on the blog to read up on everything .http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/111962349823/ No helicopters taking out Wildwood , yet . Hopefully never but around here doom is on tap .
    Last edited by Tree Bombs; 01-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.

hope to ski there this year

There is still hope. Wildwood makes the return much better.

Tamarack homeowners talk to BOA over buying lifts
    - The Associated Press
    Tamarack Resort homeowners want to buy two ski lifts that Bank of America has been trying to tear out.
    Tamarack Municipal Association director Tim Flaherty told The Associated Press on Tuesday he's been in discussions with the bank.
    Bank of America was stiffed on the lifts by Tamarack majority owner Jean-Pierre Boespflug, who disappeared this year when the bank sought $4 million.
    Even with Boespflug on the lam, Flaherty says he's also working to open the ski resort for a second straight year.
    Tamarack Municipal Association ran a limited season last year on a $1 million budget, earning a small profit.
    Flaherty is now in talks with Idaho over another sublease to 2,100 acres of public land where the ski runs are located, in advance of a Dec. 15 opening.

Powdreams, you are right,
    The resort did depend too much on the real estate market. When that crashed up there it killed it. The problems began when the rich folks stopped buying up those cabins. And that started happening when they saw blood in the water. The real estate market softening and when word about one of the real estate agents for Tamarack stealing earnest money checks. When buyers heard about Stephanie Greenfield endorsing clients checks over to herself cashing them and leaving town. I think fear of being ripped off halted them more than the market. That happened three or more years ago, and people are still afraid to buy property up there. That and the CEO being a fugitive doesn’t help either.

Conditions report is top to bottom skiing with some creative early season "ski it if you want to/ Christmas" openings . With the sunny days fun has been had .
    Opening runs that were thin is a great idea for those who want to ride chairs . Thanks Tamarack patrol for being proactive instead of inactive .

The New Years mostly RAIN(first top to bottom rain in Brunadge history,Scouts honour)/ snow event ended up right side up with New Years weekend being pretty good times . Baby pow turns(no crust) were had . This last weekend was good , sunny days and some soft . For a drought its been great . Lower is fast and carveable , higher for chalk/pine needle pow , mid elevation for legs . All in one run , its great . Finding natural features , scraping some scrape ,point it on the outrun . Long runs , go fast , fast chairs , no lines , get some runs , have some fun in the sun . If you want to grouch on the couch so be it .

With the Bogus pricing its been great to see some of the people coming up and having fun . I have talked to some of the newbies . The consensus is, it aint so bad after all .

Angry inch for Thursday . Should make for something to push around .
    Last edited by Tree Bombs; 01-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.

The downward spiral continues. Tamarack operated at a $300k loss last season and now the best lift is dismantled.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...smantling.html

Any updates on Tamarack? My bro may have lodging near there for a week this winter.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Brundage isn't too far from there, and is actually a functional, albeit small ski area that supposedly gets a lot of snow. Pretty sure Tamarack is done for.

Idaho Land Board considers Tamarack ski area lease

By By Keith Ridler September 30, 2014

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Battered and bruised Tamarack Resort could take a significant step this week toward a clearer financial picture and getting on track to being the kind of four-season destination playground early planners once envisioned.

True, a high-speed chairlift was ripped out for nonpayment, the marketing budget dropped from seven to six figures, and plans to draw international travelers shrunk to enticing locals within 100 miles.

But a turning point is possible Thursday when the Idaho Land Board decides whether to transfer a 2,100-acre lease to a company called New TRAC that emerged after a sheriff's sale last spring. For that transfer to happen, a majority of the five-member board will have to be persuaded at the special meeting requested by New TRAC that the company can afford about $278,000 annually to use the land on which the ski area is built.

The company, state officials said, wants to make sure it has the lease in hand before it moves ahead with opening the ski area and incurring expenses. The company also wants to address potential problems or defaults caused by its predecessor, Tamarack Resort LLC.

New TRAC was formed by Credit Suisse, which completed a credit bid at the March 10 sheriff's sale to own three big sections of the resort, including the ski areas. A consortium led by Zurich-based Credit Suisse is owed more than $300 million for Tamarack, which is north of Boise.

Patrick Hodges of the Idaho Department of Lands said he doesn't anticipate problems with the lease being approved. "I think the state would like to see Tamarack operated as a ski area, and as long as New TRAC can perform on that level, the land board will approve it," he said.

The lease represents one of the state's more lucrative deals, and it is far more than the $80,000 annually state officials estimate the land would generate if it reverted to timber harvest.

Tim Flaherty, executive director of the Tamarack Municipal Association, said the lease would be another step toward firmer financial footing for the resort in the post-bankruptcy years following the Great Recession.

Besides New TRAC, three other entities own parts of the resort. Eventually, Flaherty said, given sound finances, deals could be made to bring the resort under one owner. The municipal association, formed near the resort's start to run the place, is continuing to run much of the resort under New TRAC, Flaherty said.

The association in recent years has been operating just to break even while keeping the facilities maintained. But that's starting to change, Flaherty said, an indication being that the ski area will operate seven days a week this winter rather than four as in years past.

"We're certainly not out of the woods yet. But it's looking much better than it did several years ago," he said.

The municipal association employs about 45 people in the summer and 130 in the winter when it operates the ski area.

The resort also has 370 homeowners with about 400 deeded properties. Most of the properties are rentals for vacationers, but Flaherty estimated that about 10 to 15 percent of the owners are full-time residents at Tamarack.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Brundage isn't too far from there, and is actually a functional, albeit small ski area that supposedly gets a lot of snow. Pretty sure Tamarack is done for.
    Brundage is a fun little hill
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”