191 Lhasas for a lightweight?

I'm 5'10, 145 lbs. Less than average aggressiveness by TGR standards, but my skiing is improving and I've started to gain some weight. I mostly ski at Mammoth, which means lots of high speed bowl skiing in wind-affected snow. My current skis are 179 Praxis RX (tip rocker only) which I find a bit too short and 183 Head im82 that I haven't skied much, but seem manageable length-wise.

I recently got a great deal on 191 Lhasas that I simply couldn't pass up. My initial thought is that these may be too big for me, as other posts have mentioned that you should be 180+ or a super strong skier for the 191. However, I've also seen posts saying that the 191 is not as stiff underfoot or in the tail as the 186 and does not have to be driven forward as much. Also, I've read that the 191 does not have quite as much tip rocker as the 186. Does this mean the 191 will ski considerably longer, or is there no real difference when it comes to rocker size.

If I'm reading everything correctly, the 191 (only available with wall-to-wall carbon) is actually lighter than the old 186 with carbon stringers. Does the lightness of the 191 mean it might be as easy to manage as the old 186?

Overall, I'm fairly convinced that the new, wall-to-wall carbon 186 is the perfect ski for me. Nevertheless, the 191 was available to me, so I had to pick that. Do you think I'll be fine on the 191?

The 191 is a very easy ski to ski. It is very light and nimble. I found that it excelled in shorter radius turns but did have a speed limit in powder and windbuff

I had both the 186 and 191 and didn't find they had a huge difference
    in effort. My 191's were crazy light and a little softer as you describe.

Eat a few bacon burgers and Dogfish ipa's and enjoy the ski, still my favorite in a stupidly large and overlapping quiver.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

deeppo-I'm interested in the speed limit you're talking about. Most everything I've read about the 186 suggests that there would be no speed limit in powder or smooth wind buff. Do you think this might only be applicable to the 191 (maybe the softness?). Also, do you think the slight softness and slightly wider tail of the 191 would make it less stable in crud, or is the added length going to cancel that out?

I know I should just take the 191s and ski, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the best size of the best ski in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    deeppo-I'm interested in the speed limit you're talking about. Most everything I've read about the 186 suggests that there would be no speed limit in powder or smooth wind buff. Do you think this might only be applicable to the 191 (maybe the softness?). Also, do you think the slight softness and slightly wider tail of the 191 would make it less stable in crud, or is the added length going to cancel that out?

I know I should just take the 191s and ski, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the best size of the best ski in the world.
    The two main skis I skied last year were the 191 lhasas and the 189 obsethed. The Obsethed are mounted with with solly sth 16 and the lhasa mounted with dukes. Having the dukes instead of the sollys is probably a contributing factor to the way the skis skied. Again this is my opinion and im sure some will disagree. The Lhasas even with the dukes are very light. Just sitting on the chairlift I was amazed how much lighter the lhasas are then the obsethed. I found them to be very quick turning. I was zip lining bumps with ease(and I hate bumps).
    Where I found them not as confidence inspiring is when I was truly halling ass in pow or wind buff(or groomers for that matter). Certainly not bad but for me the 189 obsethed ski bigger and feel more stable at high speeds in most conditions. At 145 Im sure you will love the skis(Im 180lbs). If I can get my hands on another pair of sollys I will mount the lhasas with them.
    deeppo

^^^ Of course those Obsetheds actually measure, what, 194? And the rocker is shorter, so I would expect them to ski much longer.

skeeze, I bet you'll like those Lhasas.

I'll be skiing Mammoth this winter, with my impending move back to Orange County. If you don't like them, I would strongly consider buying them off you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I think the only way I'd ever give them up is a trade for wall-to-wall carbon 186s.