Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Seriously? Like what? You're in big fucking trouble if you're learning life lessons from TGR.
    Not life lessons, just perspective that I didn't have beforehand. I have a potential job making $15/hour working 3pm-8pm near two of my favorite hills this season...

$15/hr previously seemed shitty to me. But if I'm actually able to ski any day that it dumps (see: evening hours) and live in a relatively nice city 40 minutes from good skiing, it starts to sound not that bad.

Why work during winter? Good snowdays = skiing, shitty snowdays = party, or at least wishing you were out partying - but you're nos since your budget is too tight, no time for working?

And one more thing. Go throw yourself of the biggest piece of rock you can find and all the companys will bring wheelbarrels of cash

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    Not life lessons, just perspective that I didn't have beforehand. I have a potential job making $15/hour working 3pm-8pm near two of my favorite hills this season...

$15/hr previously seemed shitty to me. But if I'm actually able to ski any day that it dumps (see: evening hours) and live in a relatively nice city 40 minutes from good skiing, it starts to sound not that bad.
    Here's a life lesson... take that fucking job, you moron.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

bummin

to the op bcski, the best skibum primer I've read in my 26yrs of bumming and reading ski rags.

huckin; nice rebuttal

11; my dreams & reality don't always mesh

There are ways to work the system; I've paid for 2 of 25 season passes in my inglorious career without working while the lifts are spinnin. well, a couple seasons early on.
    My method, gainful off season employment (construction) start on used gear till you know what you want (splurge on good boots, fit is everything) and marry an instructor don't become one. if the s.o. don't understand a powder day, i.e. getting out early to be left behind, dump'em
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Hallelujah.

this thread is tre bizzare, no?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    What's the cut-off for a "professional ski bum" anyhow? I know guys who "work from the office" 4 days a week, and get 90%+ of the epic days due to work flexibility. I know a guy who used to work for JHMR supervising their IT department and worked 40 a week from his Blackberry. He did the same thing during MTB season. The ski-bums living in their vans aren't better; they just haven't/won't figure out how the system works. Does funemployment count as a "sugar daddy/momma"? Because that disqualifies a lot of people.
    those guys are part time amateurs. the worst are the folks who pretend to be professional paid skiers and talk shit like they know what's up, but typically their a bunch of dreamers whose personality is the main thing limiting them from ever being successfull at anything.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    That was written by/for the legions of cluesless fucks who completely flail at ski bumming every season. What ski bum in his right mind actually works during the season!?

The professional ski bum does not work in the winter for anything or anybody. The professional ski bum does not have a sugar momma/daddy who eventually get sicks of their shit and leaves or forces them into some other bullshit lifestyle back east. The professional ski bum is not a trust funder because eventually daddy/mummy make him come back east to learn how to babysit the family fortune on wall st. The professional ski bum has a job spring/summer/fall that pays for an entire winter worth of gear/rent/pass/booze/drugs/whatever and then can disapear in November where nobody will bat an eye.

The professional ski bum has the best weed in town and typically sells it during the season to the clueless fucks who work at the resort to pay for their apres bar tab and gas money to the next big dump.

The professional ski bum does not set down roots at one particular mountain town, rather they live in a van/rv and formulate strategic relationships in key big dump locales to park their rig when the snow is deep.

The professional ski bum does not have a girl/boyfriend during the season because powder trumps sex and there is a no shortage of dumb tourists looking to drunk hook up with the professional ski bum on their ski trip out west.

Professional ski bums eat quite well because they know that it is within their best interests to take the local restaurant king pin under their wing and show him all the best pow stashes on the mtn as well as tell them how rad they ski and maybe even wait for a few laps to further stroke their ego in order to score free food.

Wow, you are so core. You got it all figured out.

*dickwaving*

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    those guys are part time amateurs. the worst are the folks who pretend to be professional paid skiers and talk shit like they know what's up, but typically their a bunch of dreamers whose personality is the main thing limiting them from ever being successfull at anything.
    Hahahahahah! You're killing me... So what kind of personality do those people who pretend to be professional paid skiers (that's either repetitive or a double negative, not sure) have that begets you such ill will?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

All things in moderation - there is plenty to life except skiing. If nothing else, what does one do when the snow does not fall?

That said, I would think the best way to ski the most often is to study a niche business, spin off my own company, sell it, invest the proceeds, and live off the returns until a ripe old age.

it seems there is something important here, missing from whatever wasted dicussion we are faking.... Pussy, yes.

All things in moderation - there is plenty to life except skiing. If nothing else, what does one do when the snow does not fall?
    One finds a nice girl and yummy time.
    Moderation is for the average, like you.
    Don't set yourself up for defeat.

Destroy the tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    it seems there is something important here, missing from whatever wasted dicussion we are faking.... Pussy, yes.

One finds a nice girl and yummy time.
    Moderation is for the average, like you.
    Don't set yourself up for defeat.

Destroy the tasty.
    Living a marginal existence to do one thing only part of the year is to set one's self up for defeat. If nothing else, it is a good way to wind up homeless and stranded in some crappy mountain town.

Quote Originally Posted by W00KIE View Post

That said, I would think the best way to ski the most often is to study a niche business, spin off my own company, sell it, invest the proceeds, and live off the returns until a ripe old age.

That sounds good but pretty optimistic in this economy. Good luck to you though, it's a good plan if you can pull it off.

I do alright as a blue collar professional in the medical field, don't work too much, ski about 100 days (for going on 20 years now) and make my mortgage, car payment, etc.

Sounds like some folks take themselves way too seriously around here (what else is new?), that article is hilarious, mostly true, and well written. Read a lot of takes on the ski bum life but this one puts it all together very nicely, and leaves me with a nostalgic smile on my face. If a healthy dose of that stuff has never been your reality than maybe you've had it better than me but IMO you've probably missed out just a little.

To the OP, damn fine work JONG.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by W00KIE View Post
    Living a marginal existence to do one thing only part of the year is to set one's self up for defeat. If nothing else, it is a good way to wind up homeless and stranded in some crappy mountain town.
    done. Got pics of your daughter? Or wife?

living a marginal existence to do one thing part of the year... that might define a ski bum.

post some pics of your big old wife before you EXIT....

Quote Originally Posted by BCSKI360 View Post
    With modern ski and board technology most resorts are ridiculously easy to ride and the only real sense of adventure or test of one's ability is found in the terrain park.
    your a clueless jong

this feels like it was written by somebody with a jaded experience. i'm sure having a optimistic or pessimistic attitude has nothing to do with your success. in fact i found almost all 10 rules to be mostly without merit, and i have been a ski bum since i was 20 here in Jackson. maybe its just harder at a shitty park resort. by the way do you really think thats where the only real sense of adventure occurs... i can tell you how much this discredits your entire post.... go hit a rail and stfu

one and only rule

enjoy the life
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    done. Got pics of your daughter? Or wife?

living a marginal existence to do one thing part of the year... that might define a ski bum.

post some pics of your big old wife before you EXIT....
    No thanks; I'd rather post a picture of your girlfriend:
    http://www.yorkblog.com/onlyyork/goat_1.jpg

While I doubt hes implying that Alta 0 is a walk in the park, you have to admit with technology these days, its a bit easier than skiing it with 205 length, 60 underfoot straight sticks with rear entry boots no? Perhaps the old leather tie up binders from the back in the day? Just rocker and sidecut alone have made the average bum a much better skier than he should be. Why do you think we all like it so much.

I will say that theres no way in hell it takes 5 full years to get a bartending gig. If it takes you 5 years to get a decent night gig, you're clearly the problem and not the town. One ski season as most paying your dues bumping chairs or bussing tables, then if you have half a brain and can show up to work, you can get a gig waiting tables or bartending no problem.
    Live Free or Die

I've sacraficed a lot but I never miss a storm, I may miss a good day here or there but i never miss a storm, if I don't nail the mountain the first day then I just hike for it.

Sometimes I think I'm throwing my life away in the Rockies, but then I look at my old high school and college friends doing the urban corporate grind, they spend their lives sitting in airports and traffic jams, they have to kiss ass every day to climb the corporate ladder, the stress in their lives is off the charts, they have wives kids bosses bills coming out of their ears etc... Nah, life isn't perfect, but I know I'm at my happiest on the mountain and for me that's what life is all about, being happy. Sounds stupid , but I can't get powder day happy doing anything else in the world.

The one piece of advice I have from my ski bum days is this:

When you do get a job, no matter how shitty it is, show up on time and do good work. Always be sober in the workplace. Get to know people around the joint, especially those who have been around a while. Learn the ins and outs of the business. Make a good impression every day and don't complain. Sounds simple enough, but in the ski business it's especially important.

Why?

Resort management can be very jaded when it comes to the hired help. They are used to transient shitbags who blow off shifts, come to work drunk and/or baked, do next to nothing when they do show up, then blow out of town with middle fingers held high. By simply being a good employee, you can find yourself moving up the ladder quicker than you could in most environments. Basically, If you have a good work ethic, it can be very easy to stand out amongst your peers. This often leads to better jobs, better pay, and a better living situation. Keep it up and you might one day find yourself established in your chosen ski town; actually making a decent living, eating right, and even getting laid once in a while. And it doesn't mean you have to quit skiing, either.

There's no reason you can't have the best of both worlds, you just have to be willing to work a little harder than the next dirtbag.

And for God's sake, don't live in a fucking dorm. Getting laid is a lot easier when you can establish that you're not just another bro-brah - and when there isn't an actual bro-brah sleeping five feet away form your bed. Actually, when you realize how many of the dudes in a ski town are completely hopeless, you will find that the odds aren't nearly as bad as they seem.

^^^ damn dude, talk about lurking.

sound advice, though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

this thread should be viewed as mostly humour, with a couple of useful tidbits.
    I'll throw in my two cents:

Take an avalanche course, find people who know whats up and get into the backcountry.
    Ski poles should be free. Ski boots should be your most expensive piece of gear.

Go to the Coast for steeps
    Go to the Wasatch for pow
    Go to the Rockies....never (just kiddin, not)

SLC sucks, Utah sucks, throw out all the mormons and i'd move to SLC tomorrow. Colorado is way too overcrowded with Texans and idiots in general. The Coast gets crappy wet snow. IMO the best skiing on earth is in interior BC, but unfortunately I'm not a member of the British Commonwealth so i can only visit a few times every winter. Alaska is cool, but there is only 1 ski resort, it's dark for 3/4 of the winter and there are no women. That's how I ended up in the northern Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal's dead View Post
    SLC sucks, Utah sucks, throw out all the mormons and i'd move to SLC tomorrow.
    hold that thought!

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    While I doubt hes implying that Alta 0 is a walk in the park, you have to admit with technology these days, its a bit easier than skiing it with 205 length, 60 underfoot straight sticks with rear entry boots no? Perhaps the old leather tie up binders from the back in the day? Just rocker and sidecut alone have made the average bum a much better skier than he should be. Why do you think we all like it so much.
    I'm pretty sure skiing was fun before rocker, sidecut, fat skis, and modern boots existed.