Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Utah TU Single Fly Maggot Team?

Event: TU Single Fly tourney on the A &B sections of the Green.
    When: September 23-25. Fishing is on the 24th.
    The Scoop: Pretty much a copy of the JH One Fly but a little less of a who's who from what I can tell. Only 15 teams of 4 with 1 alternate. $1000 per team. Prizes/awards. Go to TU's website if you are not up to speed on how these things work.

At first I thought this was a good idea. Then asked myself "why pay $250 to fish the Green when I can fish it for free?". Sat on the idea for a few days... I usually end up giving TU and the JH chapter about $150 a year...maybe tossing in the extra $100 for the cause and having an excuse to leave town for a couple days might be a good idea.

If anyone else is or isn't in the same boat and wants to get. A maggot team together, post up. Or, post and tell me I'm an idiot for thinking about paying to fish.

I think it is a great cause and you should do it.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I guided this event last year and had a blast. When you factor in the two dinners with open bar and swag it's a damn good deal.
    Ive already commited to guiding again this year, would be superstoked to guide a maggot team.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Any mags who want to fly into slc for this I'd be able to get ya at the airport put ya up @ the crib and transport ya to and from DJ.
    There is also a one fly event on the provo that sun. that benefits the national ability center, but would need to drive back late sat night or early sun morn. I'd rather stay and fish Sun on the green. haven't commited to helping on the provo event again yet.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sounds like the Guide is secured. One of the rules is there can only be one person on each team that has worked As a guide or professional in the last five years.

Skifishbum- does the touney provide a guide or is that part of the team?

Hmmmm, very interesting.... Tell me more about this one fly event? Does the entire team fish with the same fly? Or is it an individual choice? Does it have to be a dry? This could seriously be kind of fun. ALthough I to can fish the Green for free whenever I want. SFB, how you doing man? Hit the Green yesterday with Vinman, it was good to get out but the fishing was a little wierd, had major thunderstorms roll through that really threw the fishing of kilter.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I guided this event last year and had a blast. When you factor in the two dinners with open bar and swag it's a damn good deal.
    Ive already commited to guiding again this year, would be superstoked to guide a maggot team.
    I didn't read anything about an open bar. I will not find it hard to drink my entry fee away in booze.

I've guided and fished in our One Fly...fun but this one sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Sounds like the Guide is secured. One of the rules is there can only be one person on each team that has worked As a guide or professional in the last five years.

Skifishbum- does the touney provide a guide or is that part of the team?
    tourney provides guides, dinners, w/ booze, lunches, shuttles, raffles, swag etc.pretty much everything but lodging. Ive got tons of extra camping gear though
    could easily float/fish, fri and sun so 3 days on the river with a BROfessional guide
    come on mags make it happen. Even if you don't do a lot of fly fishing this is a great event for most worthy cause.
    Schwerty. I think they are still looking for guides if you can't put a team togather come down and work a day fish
    2 and write the trip expense off on the taxes.
    Last year the Hyde cats brought down a 1/2 dozen boats so you wouldn't even need to bring your rig.

So with this format are you only allowed one fly at a time, or is that one fly all day? If its the same pattern can you switch size, or is it a one shot deal? It sounds like a great time, and a perfect excuse to head back to the Green, but the one fly thing has me intimidated already.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Hmmmm, very interesting.... Tell me more about this one fly event? Does the entire team fish with the same fly? Or is it an individual choice? Does it have to be a dry? This could seriously be kind of fun. ALthough I to can fish the Green for free whenever I want. SFB, how you doing man? Hit the Green yesterday with Vinman, it was good to get out but the fishing was a little wierd, had major thunderstorms roll through that really threw the fishing of kilter.
    Your choice of flies hell you can even throw the 2xbunny
    not outlawed yet.
    Been good not fishin as much as I'd like but had a great weekend w/ the wife and furkid on the green over the 24th. Hell yeah serious fun it's not like if you loose your fly you quit fishing you just quit scoring points. Let me know if you can get away over the 21-23 to go fish the summit
    and want to split travel costs.

I cant quite remember the scoring format thought it was the two best fish one fly all day to score, but your free to put on a dropper or change but tecnically those wouldn't score points.

Hmmm, let me ponder the tourney, a maggot team would be a BLAST!
    I wish I could get away but I volunteered for the Tour De Utah so I am comitted that weekend.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I would love to come out and fish this, but that is the last weekend of archery out here in CO, and I don't know if I will still be searching for an elk!

If you put a mag team together, and someone drops out, I could serve as a possible alternate...I just think there is a good chance I will be out there still searching.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

bump
    Any interest in puttin togather a team this year or what? I'm in if so otherwise I'm gonna commit to working it again.
    Last year was a blast.

Are the dates set? I'm likely in.

Looks like the Date is September 30th, If this happens I would for sure be in!

Looks like we just need 1 more and an alternate.

Let me see if I can squeeze in some more awesomeness in my calendar and get back to you in the next week. When do you need to know and register?
    Harvest the ride.

I nominate Skifish as team captain.

What's going on Team Buzzed Maggot Fly gonna compete?
    Who's in?
    Happy to pick up, board, feed and transport any out of town mag who wants to fly in for this.
    Hell if we got 4 guys I'll be just as content to guide again
    Anybody want to spanser us?
    I promise we'll fish and party hard and represent/uphold the maggot way
    Let me know as we need to get some cash togather to reserve a team spot
    or I need to commit to workin it again

Whats the cost look like this year? I'm super interested if the price is right. I could even pick up and drive 3 others between West Yellowstone and our final destination.

same 1k per team

I should still be a go. Although gotta double check with my Wife cuz I'm headed to Missoula the next weekend.

Well it looks like we're @ 3
    Telelee you out there? You in?
    I wanna fish w/ Jer. come on out bro
    Still lookin for spansers
    I'm growin my soulpatch back and the high $$$$ sponser gets an autographed poster of team maggot rowing through redcreek rapid BN

Not sure if you where counting me as one of the 3. But consider me as committed, as long as thats cool with anyone and everyone else.