My first Whistler trip

Just thought I'd vent a little bit here.

Bought a 3 day pass... $130.
    On my first day I did Crank it up, got a flat.
    then Blue Velvet, another flat.

then A-line.

3/4 down A-line I lost my footing in mid-air and ate it hard. Making it down the rest of a-line was the most painful experience of my life. Turns out I had a radial head fracture in my elbow.

spent the rest of the weekend poolside drinking my ass off.

/endstory

how was the scenery poolside ?

dude....bummer (understatement I know)

take solace that if you are gonna injure yourself biking at a lift serviced resort and spend the rest of the trip at the base then Whistler is the still the best in North America for that.

That sucks. Can you at least sell your ticket?

-alternative option-

That sucks. Can you at least find some scantily clad horny rich chick to dote on you and buy you cocaine?

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    sounds like you suck.

i wont deny it.. i do suck. im fairly new to mountain biking

and screw you, you racist bastard

Sounds like you need to pump up your tires and or get some DH tires, whistler is so buff you don't need to run low pressure.

Also, if you can't ride Crank-it-up, there is really no reason to go up to A-Line.

Yeah, to little to late.

Sorry you had a rough time, heal up, and head back when you have more experience.
    ~elake

I don't half-a$$ anything, it's whole-a$$ or nothing.
    -elake

it can always be worse , my buddy went to whis and ... has been a quad since late june

we are going down to visit him at GF Strong next week

the good news is he has all kinds of sensations but just can't control them YET

I spent a summer working in Whistler and found it real sobering to see, during Crankworx competitions, an inordinate number of healthy appearing young males in wheelchairs staring up from the base at the riders coming down. It made me wonder if they were riding bikes in the competition the year before.

++Vibes to your friend, GF Strong is full of excellent therapists so he's in good hands.

Shit happens. And when it does, the best thing to do is just booze it up.

fairly typical Whistler bike park story. people should spend a bit more time on crank it up before venturing on to aline.

When I had to ride Crank It Up over and over again because I was riding with my girlfriend, I thought I was 'stuck' on that trail. Afterwards I was thankful for all that practice before hitting A-line and other stuff. If I was on a trip with a bunch of guys, A-line probably would have been hit right away and I might have been broken right away.

And when I say 'stuck' on Crank It Up, it was not THAT bad since it's better than any jump trail in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    fairly typical Whistler bike park story. people should spend a bit more time on crank it up before venturing on to aline.
    Yup. I hear about this and people endo'ing the first drop in Dirt Merchant or stacking off the A-line Rock drop or the GLC and its just the same old same old thing again

tubeless tubeless tubeless.

i think advice for starting out slow, warming up and going tubeless was just covered in a whistler first time thread. was that you? nope....
    Read my blog at oilcanracer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yup. I hear about this and people endo'ing the first drop in Dirt Merchant or stacking off the A-line Rock drop or the GLC and its just the same old same old thing again
    Newer generations lack two things.

Shame

Patience

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Newer generations lack two things.

Shame

Patience

PAIN TOLERANCE

I patrolled in the park for three years. Unfortunately they're not doing the volly patrol this year.

My words of advice.

NO RUSH!

We carted off a 22 year old guy from Switzerland who came here by himself cause his friends bailed on him but he came anyway. Day 2 of a 14 day trip - rode the wall ride in the boneyard, crashed, dislocated ankle. His closest relative was in San Francisco. He was staying at the hostel.

We dropped him off at the clinic and said good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    good call. i wish i did crank it up the entire time. but of course pressure from buddies to step it up was huge.