Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Small children (fat ones give them the runs)

dog eats anything it gets its mouth on, in addition to any left overs, table food, fast food and anything else I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    I thought garlic was bad for dogs?
    It is, in large doses. We just sprinkle a bit of powdered garlic on top of the food at dinner, with warm water on top. I've done lots of reading on this, and seems to be just fine. With LOTS of fresh cold water.

Fats-

Rafael loves Fat Burger.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    he vomits yellow foam
    Hutash can correct me on this but I think this is less a function of what he is eating and more a function of what he isn't eating. The yellow foam thing usually occurs when the doggie's stomach is pretty empty and acidic, hence the purging. My dog does the same once in awhile and it usually coincides with times that she has decided to not eat for a bit. She has image issues

Our 13 month old mix is on the Blue Buffalo, puppy Lamb & Oatmeal and seems to have been good to her since she was 8 weeks old. We're slowly transitioning to adult Lamb & Brown Rice.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

11 week old blue heeler bitch is on Acana and what ever raw meaty beef bones we give her.
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

4 1/2 year old Staffy has been on natural balance since the beginning. Occasionally mix it up with various veggies. Having a friend that works at a petco is the only reason this shit is affordable.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    This is a great thread to find now. Mrs. Vets and I have a new puppy, M.C. Penny Cartoon, and we are discussing and deciding on what dog food would be best for her.
    Last edited by Vets; 07-30-2010 at 02:11 PM.

2 golden rets., a 6yr old and a 7 month old. both on a mix of Acana Pacifica grain-free kibble, raw chicken gizzards,hearts and ground up wings, and a gnarly veggie glop concoction. both are healthy and happy. their coats are great, vet reports a A+, and doggies energy levels excellent. it's more work but they're worth it.

Vets, go check out Cory @ Max's pet supplies in G-ville next to Raleys.

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    i found this site helpful
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    some of the 4stars are reasonably priced
    This has got to be a good site I mean the guy isn't a vet or a dog nutrionist, but he is a dentist.

Yet because of my college education as a chemist and my longtime healthcare career as a Doctor of Dental Surgery… I’ve acquired a lifetime of knowledge about science… and human nutrition.
    I've tried a lot of foods for my dogs including the no grain food that's all the rage. Other than lowering my wieght due and empty wallet I have seen no benefits from the expensive food. On the other hand I've seen adverse reactions from the highly rated dog foods on sites that the one above and the well known dogfoodanalysis.com site.

I used to feed my lab Canidae and she did great until they changed their formula. I tried two big bags of the stuff after the change and was forced to switch. I've tried Taste of the Wild (made by Diamond) another highly rated food and it worked well for both my lab and english setter by no better than food that cost almost half as much. I've tried Innova and EVO, which again are highly rated, with both my dogs and they did better on less expensive food. I've seen some dogs not react well to food that is too hot (high in protein) for their activity level.

The three dog foods my dogs excel on are Diamond Performance (not the higher rated Diamond Naturals), Pro Plan Chicken and Rice (not the Shredded Blend crap), and Pro Plan Performance. I can get Diamond Performance for about $25/40lbs. which is much cheaper than Pro Plan so I am feeding both my dogs that right now.

My lab is a hunting dog and while active year round during Late Summer through early winter her activitiy level skyrocket so having a 30/20 dog food is a must. My english setter is both a trial and hunting dog and I keep her in peak physical condition from about August through January and March through June due to trials and hunting season. Without a 30/20 food this dog wouldn't be able to keep up her weight. High end foods like Taste of the Wild don't work for my dogs well when they are very active because the fat content isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I don't know your source, but I can to you it is full of shit. It was composed by someone who does not know shit about nutrition. My guess it was by somebody who runs a pet shop, since that is where I usually hear such tripe.

I have covered this topic several times, so do a little searching.

I didn't see tripe on the ingredient list.....mmmmm....menudo
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

We've been feeding the Orijen Adult formula (blue bag) to our 2 lab mutts for the last couple of years. I still can't believe how expensive it is, (~$2/lb) but the dogs like it, they have nice silky coats and are in great shape. One advantage of using a good food without a lot of fillers is that we only have to feed our dogs 2 to 3 cups of food per day, depending on their amount of activity. As a result there is a lot less shit to pick up around the yard and they appear to have fewer digestive problems.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Purina ONE Lamb and Rice dry, with 1 table spoon of Alpo Prime cuts canned. Fed twice a day, and they'll get leftover veggies thrown in for a bonus...or whatever else is tasty, leftover chicken, etc.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    2 golden rets., a 6yr old and a 7 month old. both on a mix of Acana Pacifica grain-free kibble, raw chicken gizzards,hearts and ground up wings, and a gnarly veggie glop concoction. both are healthy and happy. their coats are great, vet reports a A+, and doggies energy levels excellent. it's more work but they're worth it.

Vets, go check out Cory @ Max's pet supplies in G-ville next to Raleys.
    fallguy, you must be psychic or something. We just went to Max's and picked up three kinds to sample including Acana Pacifica. We also tried Go Natural and Evanger's. Mrs. Vets is also a believer in putting together veggie glop concoctions and raw stuff like chicken gizzards too.

we've had our pup on natural balance as long as we have had him, before us his shitty family was feeding him kibbles and bits! sadly we had to slowly ween him off it and get him on better food. I'm pretty sure he eats healthier than I do, we make sure he gets nothing from the table and all his snacks and treats are either natural balance or organic and natural with minimal ingredients. I've been looking into making our own treats for him so we know exactly whats going into him. every once and awhile we will give him some salmon skin with his dinner, he loves it and its good for their coat
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    This has got to be a good site I mean the guy isn't a vet or a dog nutrionist, but he is a dentist.

I was going to post that, but I figured people were tired of my expert opinion. The amount of mis-information on that site is scary. But, he is a dentist, and a self professed expert on dog food labels, so who am I to comment.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Only Taste of the Wild for my dog. All good proteins. I tend to change flavors every season or so just to give him some variety, although he likes the bison flavor the most and the fish flavor the least.

Another good food additive is Dog Immune. It's made from the same people that make K9 Immunity and K9 Transfer Factor (<--research both of those if your dog is sick, or if you never want your dog to get sick. Amazing stuff). You just add a scoop to your dog's food every day or week and it keeps his immune system in prime condition.

For the budget conscious, Taste of the Wild is only $44 per 20lb bag here. Well worth the money compared to the crap you buy at the grocery store.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, we used to have him on Blue Buffalo (the stuff in the blue foil bag and the wolf on the front). It was really good food, too. My dog spit out the little blueberry pellets, but he liked the rest for the most part. We switched to Taste of the Wild because it was a bit cheaper and the ingredients were better. I'd probably go back to Blue Buffalo if TOTW ever stopped making dog food, or I couldn't find it anywhere.
    Turning is for when things get in your way ||

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I was going to post that, but I figured people were tired of my expert opinion. The amount of mis-information on that site is scary. But, he is a dentist, and a self professed expert on dog food labels, so who am I to comment.

Good to see you know your proper place. When in the presence of dentists, all should exhibit appropriate deference
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Science Diet for our guy.

And the occasional piece of the neighbor for extra protein.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

As with most things, I am a expert because I say I am.

The dog appears to reject my surplus cucumbers.
    Life is not lift served.

we feed our girl ZD ultra. about 70 bucks for a 17 pound bag.

wish we didn't have to but dems the breaks

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    we feed our girl ZD ultra. about 70 bucks for a 17 pound bag.

wish we didn't have to but dems the breaks
    One of our girls has to have that stuff; ouch it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    The dog appears to reject my surplus cucumbers.
    I've only found one food that my lab won't eat and that is rhubarb. My english setter has a much more refined pallet .