08 K2 Seth - does it hold up to new shapes?

It's summer, this is TT so don't get your panties in a twist with my insane/boring quiver hemming and or hawing.

So I've read the reviews on here, and pretty unanimously people really dug the 08 189 Seth but that was 2-3 years back. It has the mini-rocker and the god awful graphics and a 98 waist that makes it pretty versatile as a quiver of 1.

I picked these up on a great summer deal off c-list.

Clearly there's been some shape break throughs in the 2 model years since these came out.

So my question is this: Given the growing amount of traditional sidecut tip rockered skis that are showing up in the used ski market for $200-ish, would you say the Seth is a worthy competitor in that market.

I could be wrong, but I don't think much changed in the 08 -> 09 Seth model other than graphics.

Ultimately I find that I don't really have a need for a strictly inbounds pow stick so I've been trying to find a nice versatile ski that doesn't suck once the resort is all tracked out.

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think much changed in the 08 -> 09 Seth model other than graphics.
    Haven't been on the '08, but I can tell you you're wrong about this part. The '09 got wider (105 in the waist) and got more rocker. Although the '09 still doesn't have very much rocker, it was my impression that the '08 barely has any.

Quote Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post
    The '09 got wider (105 in the waist) and got more rocker. Although the '09 still doesn't have very much rocker, it was my impression that the '08 barely has any.
    Yes. Last Vicious = 98mm, "mini rocker" in tip. ObSethed = 105mm, tip and tail rocker.

I love mine, I have 3 pairs (1 vicious(Safety pin on tail), 1 "Seth" (Weird Helicopter thing), and one of the above). The are are great I am not sure how much different the rocker effects them. they are super playful and easy to ski. My father had so much fun on mine he now owns two pair.

A fun ski that stands up to the test of time.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I skied the seths for years and loved them. The past two years my main resort ski is the obsethed and they are hands down a better ski then the seths. The extra rocker is great in the pow and I find them easier to turn in in trees and bumps. Certainly if you are coming from a more traditional ski you will love the seths
    deeppo

I havent skied the 08's but have always wanted to, I think they would rock as a no good snow/hardpack ski. I cant imagine the float is even close the the 09 obsethed's, which I loved, but they might be a bit stiffer which would help them in the one area I didnt like them in, really shitty, crusty snow.

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    but they might be a bit stiffer which would help them in the one area I didnt like them in, really shitty, crusty snow.
    The good news is that K2 has never really claimed their skis are good for this kind of snow, nor shitty, manky snow, which is what PNW snow typically is. K2 makes some of the more fun powder skis, and some of the less fun crud/chunder skis, IMO.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I always thought that particular year of Seth's had a great, versatile geometry, but was too soft for my taste. Unless you're a featherweight, or you really like soft noodles, I prefer the Gotama (gold) from the same era.

^^^ I had the 2007 maroon Seth Vicious in 179 and I thought it was very soft and eventually dumped them. The 2008 189s did seem stiffer just by hand flexing them than my memory of the 07s 179s.

I am really torn - because they've been mounted twice and putting another set of holes in them means limited resale value.

Dropping the $$ for some DynaSolly plates this fall would make this a potential BC / resort ski - and I have skins from some dead coombas that will fit this shape with a little trim.

^^^^ check this out as an alternative to the DynaSolly plate

The 09 ObSethed is my only ski, and I love it- though I am a crappy skiier and don't really know what I am talking about. My buddy has a super beat pair of the bright green Seth Vicious (with the zipper) that I used for a few spring days this year- it was a super easy, fun ski but I thought much differnt than the Obsethed.

PL
    I got 99 problems but this pitch aint one

Resale valu on a three year old twice drilled set of boards should not be a factor on binding selection or placement. They will be worth less next year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Resale valu on a three year old twice drilled set of boards should not be a factor on binding selection or placement. They will be worth less next year anyway.
    yeah, my point was really more that if I put the 3rd set of holes in these - then I'm committed to them because I won't be able to sell them for much of anything VERSUS selling them before drilling them and putting the cash towards a better ski.