PSA: 4x4 E350 Diesel Ford Sportsmobile/Conversion Van

FS:4x4 E350 Diesel Ford Sportsmobile / Conversion Van - $21000

Comments/Advice?
    Are there any Seattle mags that could spec this and report? This is along the lines of what I have been looking for, but I'm not flying x-country to browse it.

From http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/1864241630.html

4x4 E350 Ford diesel conversion RV van made by Sportsmobile in Fresno California 1993 - 190k. This rig has a sweet setup and runs good: Quigley 4x4, new injectors and pump, new complete rear end, new complete F/R brakes, transmission just completed, 4" lift (33x12.5x16), new tires and rims, line-X "rock" panel goes 12" high around bottom of entire van, 12V RV light system, solar charging system, awning, custom built F/R bumpers, warren wench, fog lights and spot lights, surf/snowboard rack, mountain bike rack -HD, new CD/Stereo, fridge, Onboard Propane System: Stove Top, Oven, Heater w/ Thermostate, Fresh Water System: 35 Gal Tank, Sink, Hot Water, Outside Shower Attachment. Plenty of storage area/closets/cabinets, Pop Top - Sleeps 4 (full size up top & couch/bed below). This van was custom built for Craig Kelly for surfing/snowboarding for expeditions from Alaska to Chili and was seen in films such as "Let It Ride" and "El Camino Real".

CK's old ride could be worth it for historical value alone. Now I'm interested... but I'm not going to be in Burlington for two more weeks.

BTW it'd be easier for a Bellingham/Baker person to check it out than a Seattle-ite.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Not a bad rig at a reasonable price. I just bought a '92 Dodge for 6K, but 2WD w/o all the extras that has.

I would start a thread with a title like "Billingham/Baker mags...I need a little help here" otherwise it will just be shear luck somebody from the area happens to see this thread. Unless of course they are looking for a Sportsmobile, in which case they just snaked your line.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Sweet!!!! Too bad I am in Burlington.....VT.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I would start a thread with a title like "Billingham/Baker mags...Unless of course they are looking for a Sportsmobile, in which case they just snaked your line.
    Thistle Dew. I have someone looking at it later today...

Looks like a good price. Those are >$80K new, I think. An ultrarunning friend has the same rig, perhaps a few years newer, and he loves it. Sportsmobile does a great job with their conversions. OP, you might want to do some research re that vintage engine. Otherwise, the E350 drive train is bomber stuff.

If I were in the market, I'd buy it, subject to inspection. But I'm not so I'll stick with my F150/FWC combo, which has served me very well for 6 years.

That would be worth it even if you had to swap the motor and tranny! SOMEONE FUCKIN' BUY IT ALREADY!!!!!!!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

that is soo freaking cool.

Sounds fine but I'd be super wary about what motor and tranny are in there. And the listing doesn't say, which doesn't help. Only because a new motor and tranny will be at *least* $15k. And I say that because its probably got the non-turboed 7.3 in there, which is a pig, and the old E40D/4R100, which has been "recently completed", which means it blew up (again). If they didn't put a new tranny cooler and hot flush the lines, expect the tranny to go again soon. I'd say the front end probably needs an entire rebuild, but who knows what parts they used when they did the aftermarket 4x4 conversion.

Edit: But I'd be happy to go look at it for you. And then sell it to hop.. j/k.
    Last edited by BakerBoy; 07-30-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Sportsmobile does a great job with their conversions.
    No they don't. Shitty mdf cabinetry and typically shoddy RV construction and appliance installation. Underneath the pretty surfaces, it's pretty appalling for such a pricey rig. Don't believe me? then spend a few hours on sportsmobileforum or badgertrek.com and read about all the issues with these rigs. The only thing pretty well engineered in the pop-top, but even those have small issues. Of course all these things can be fixed if you have the know-how and inclination and ducats. The badgertrek peeps spent a ton of time fixing all the fuck-ups. But for 21K (and not 90K), maybe it's worth it...

I had a ford E250 van with the sportsmobile pop-top, but had the interior done by a super high quality conversion outfit in OR--Van Specialties. Was very happy with it, even though I had a few annoying issues with the pop-top.

And +1 on checking which engine/tranny is in this rig. Crucial info. Hopefully it's a powerstroke, but I think 1993 is a year or two early for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    But I'm not so I'll stick with my F150/FWC combo, which has served me very well for 6 years.
    Jealous...would love a FWC. Which model, Hawk, just a guess?
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

I had essentially that same setup (1994 though) and sold it four years ago for $32,000 so I would say the price is in the ballpark. As mentioned earlier, the engine is probably not a turbodiesel so it is a pig (especially at altitude). Count on a few thousand extra to throw on a Banks turbo or try to find a newer Turbodiesel engine to put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    I had essentially that same setup (1994 though) and sold it four years ago for $32,000 so I would say the price is in the ballpark. As mentioned earlier, the engine is probably not a turbodiesel so it is a pig (especially at altitude). Count on a few thousand extra to throw on a Banks turbo or try to find a newer Turbodiesel engine to put into it.
    Or not.
    This vehicle has no turbo, although they were available at the time when this was purchased new. A long search ensued to find one without the turbo. Why? Because this vehicle was going from AK to Patagonia, and for sure after the Rio Grande finding a knowledgeable mechanic plus parts was unpossible.

But I agree, the turbo add-up is a good call, and the price after some major work is still ballpark.

Thank you paxti. Thank you too, Baker Boy, despite the harshing it is good advice. Also Big Steve and others, this is the feedback I am looking for, gracias.