Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Shit...two more weeks...pumped!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I think I can do this maybe get mon. also.
    Schwerty (drift boat, 2 if needed + a 4 guy powerboat with a 70hp for a lake if need be)
    Gretch6364
    Tye 1on, probably
    Lexi-Bell (raft)
    igBand (raft)
    Lobstahmeatwad(no Boat)

Schwerty this things lookin pretty damn fun!

let the record show i'm way in to rowing a boat...and fck it, let's scratch the 'probably', for at least a day/night!

Schwerty (drift boat, 2 if needed + a 4 guy powerboat with a 70hp for a lake if need be)
    Gretch6364
    Tye 1on (to row/drink)
    Lexi-Bell (raft)
    igBand (raft)
    Lobstahmeatwad(no Boat)

edit: This the start of your big bike trip Gretch? What did the route end up to be? Stoked to see the bike!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Yes, it is the start...but I had to cut the trip down to one week due to a wedding and moving...it will still be a good time with lots of fishing...I am just staying in that general area the while week and not going to the coast.

As for the bike...I hope you won't be disappointed...I love it and it is a beautiful bike, but it remained much more stock this summer then I had hoped...spent the money on fishing gear. . This winter, some new toys for it are being ordered for sure!

Glad to see you finally commit....this is going to be awesome. I might have to work it out with someone to bring my booze for me and I will pay...only liqour and a six pack fit on the bike!

We should also all pm our cell numbers and emails to someone who can then circulate them along with any final arrangements/coordination/directions.

I am will to help out with anything I can from Denver...just let me know schwerty.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Any more thoughts on the actual destination? All three of the options Schwerty originally suggested sound great.

Looks like I've got a work deal that is going to keep my up in Bozeman until the evening on Friday, so I'll need to plan accordingly.

If we did the overnights on the river, I would assume that would meen putting in on Friday right? If that is the case, is there a middle launch point that I could put in early Sat. AM and meet up with you fellas?

Bummed I am already comitted this weekend, looks like an epic time!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Talking to Tye last night I think I can meet up for a night of camping and a day float as long as I have work off. I can get to any of the 3 locations mentioned. What's the latest you guys need a def. answer? Since I'm not on this site much anymore (work blocked it) I might just have to talk to Tye to keep updated with details.

Gretch6364
    Tye 1on (to row/drink)
    Lexi-Bell (raft)
    igBand (raft)
    Lobstahmeatwad(no Boat)
    NippleHighPow (no boat)

EDIT: I have that Friday and Saturday off, so I just need to check with the girl to make sure it's cool. Probably in for Friday night camping and a Saturday float. YEE HAW!
    Last edited by NippleHighPow; 08-05-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

OK Here's the deal - (This is open to argument) -

We will be camping on Jackson Lake, (hopefully - hint to TYO), in Grand teton NP. The fish in the JH valley may not al be monsters and the #'s don't match the south fork or Henry's but the Lake is a damn beautiful place to hold this thing and is central to plenty of floating and wading. Depending on the site picked, we will have an option to wade fish the southern part of Jellystone also. I fish this area all the time but I figured it would be a hell of a place for a summit. If you're hellbent on the SF or Henry's, fine....say it. We will change plans if that is the consensus. But, I am confident my idea will be productive and fun.

FISHING: (Mostly cutthroat)
    Floats will be in GTNP and are relatively easy for rowers with experience. No whitewater but there are strainers.
    Wading will be mainly on the Buffalo Fork and Pacific Creek - tribs o the Snake river or up in Yellowstone.
    Jackson lake is one of the most beautiful lakes you will find but the fishing is limited to evenings in the shallows for small cutts this time of year. This can be done from a camp, drift boat/raft or maybe my power boat if it cooperates.

CAMP:
    A group site on the lake - TBD
    As I mentioned previously....if we feel the need to hit up a bar, there are a couple lodges close by. This is a touritsy area but it is for good reason. The floats are usually quiet.

Sounds good to me...anytime there is a chance to catch some cutties, I am all for it! Plus, if the fishing is small, I can break in my new fiberglass 3wt!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Sounds good to me...anytime there is a chance to catch some cutties, I am all for it! Plus, if the fishing is small, I can break in my new fiberglass 3wt!
    Boat fishing around here doesn't really work for a 3wt. Fiberglass rod. Something that can pick a line up quicker is almost necessary. All of the tribs in the area are suitable for that rod though.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Boat fishing around here doesn't really work for a 3wt. Fiberglass rod. Something that can pick a line up quicker is almost necessary. All of the tribs in the area are suitable for that rod though.
    Yeah...I meant for the tribs and small wade stuff if we get into that. I am hoping for some monster cutties to bend my 6wt in half.

Sounds great to me, I love the lake and this would have marked the first summer in 10 I haven't been down to GTNP! Are you thinking Colter Bay for camping?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    The floats are usually quiet.
    I couldn't believe it last year when we floated Pacific to Deadman's and didn't see a single other boat other than a few touron sightseeing groups.

Also I've got a 13x13 tent that'll sleep plenty, portable grill, a 10x10 EZ up canopy to keep rain/sun off cooking area, and an ass-load of firewood. Now I just need to learn to tie a turks tarantula!

Anyone interested in coming, please PM me your email and cell number. I send out an email as soon as I have everyone's address in regards to the Summit...rather than posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    Sounds great to me, I love the lake and this would have marked the first summer in 10 I haven't been down to GTNP! Are you thinking Colter Bay for camping?

I couldn't believe it last year when we floated Pacific to Deadman's and didn't see a single other boat other than a few touron sightseeing groups.

Also I've got a 13x13 tent that'll sleep plenty, portable grill, a 10x10 EZ up canopy to keep rain/sun off cooking area, and an ass-load of firewood. Now I just need to learn to tie a turks tarantula!
    Yeah, that's one of the things that made my mind up. Pacific to Deadman's is usually only guided by a handful of guides in the entire valley and they are not on there everyday. You will see the a giant scenic raft once in a while as well as some general recreational traffic but nothing compared to the rest of the Snake or South Fork. Dam to Pacific can be slow in the mid section but not a bad short float.

that's a big fuckin tent! I think there might be some fire restricts in the Park right now. I'll check.

*****FYI*******
    Costs:

Camping will be $20/night in the Park.
    Wyo license
    Park Sticker for boats = $25
    Invasive species sticker = $10

nothing you can do about the stickers.

I will chip in on stickers for whoever I float with.

PM with info sent. Do you need any money for deposits on the camping? Do we reserve or is it first come?

I will chip in on stickers for whoever I float with.

PM with info sent. Do you need any money for deposits on the camping? Do we reserve or is it first come?
    Still not sure where we will camp but, no, don't need $.

PM sent. Same with the stickers. I'll throw some cash or fill a boat with beer and Pendleton.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

Nice. Down at least for friday night/sat. Golf game needs some work prepping for huge tourney the following sunday... Yeah, the stickers kinda suck, and they might cost even more for non-WY residents. It's a state program to fund aquatic invasive work...I'll pitch in for all out of pockets costs too, and bring breakfast burrito fixins...if somebody brings a pan or two and a stove!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm probably into this, or at least one float. I have a raft, it doesn't have a fishing frame, but that has never stopped me, and the fish don't seem to care. I hate camping in GTNP campgrounds, you can't make much noise and you're packed in with other people. I'd suggest camping just outside the park either at Shadow Mountain or on the ridge east of Triangle X.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I'm probably into this, or at least one float. I have a raft, it doesn't have a fishing frame, but that has never stopped me, and the fish don't seem to care. I hate camping in GTNP campgrounds, you can't make much noise and you're packed in with other people. I'd suggest camping just outside the park either at Shadow Mountain or on the ridge east of Triangle X.
    Thought being on the water would be choice but open to suggestions. Isn't the triangle x area shut down due to wolf viewing issues? Are you talking about the ridge right above the Ranch?

Looks like I'm out for the weekend - got a work gig that's going to go late Friday PM and just got the call that friends who we haven't seen for a few years are coming into town on Saturday afternoon.

Schwerty - many thanks for putting this together and hammering out the details.

Bummed I won't be able to make it and finally put some faces to the names as well as some put some WY/ID fish in my hands. Catching up with the old friends is going to be just as great though.

Camp Update:

As of right now we will not be in GTNP. I will chat with some folks up there today or tomorrow to see if there is an appropriate spot but as it looks right now Tye and I will find a spot that will accomodate trailers at Shadow Mtn.

I will email directions but if you want to check it out on a Gazetteer or Google Earth etc.., look about 20 miles north of Jackson and more specifically, about 7-8 miles north of the town of Kelly. You can acess any float on the snake within an hour.

I will be checking out one more area in the next few days.

Hey Schwerty, I decided to drive the FJ up instead of the bike...so if you pick somewhere tough to get into and out of...no problem for me and I can help shuttle anyone without a decent 4X4.

Hey Schwerty, I decided to drive the FJ up instead of the bike...so if you pick somewhere tough to get into and out of...no problem for me and I can help shuttle anyone without a decent 4X4.
    Finding a fun suitable spot with so much NP land around here has been time consuming. Plenty of spots to choose from if we didn't have 3+ trailers. We will have a spot reasonably close to a decent road and easily accessable for trailers. Might mean we end up at a full on campground.

If any of the locals here have suggestions pm me.