Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 47 of 47
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    10,985
    Trippy. Haven't been on here in years and the first thread I see in here is mine from 8 years ago. And I have the same issue over the last month or so again with my elbow. They never found anything in the xray years back either. Damn thing is painful, especially in the morning after sleeping.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,847
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Anything with gripping. I did a long paddle three weeks ago and that really aggravated it. Fly fished two days this last weekend and now it's really bad.

    I can still lift weights, but exercises that get me into particular angles hurt.
    yeah IME/IMO its the having to constantly grip something instead of it just being in your hand

    I always used the band around just below my elbow, try to use the large torso muscles instead of your arms might help, eventualy it will go away

    my 5 instances of tennis elbow in 20+ years had all happened while paddling and it always went away, I changed both my paddles to small shaft werner that don't have overly large blades or long shafts and I have had no reoccurance in 12 years
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Doc, it hurts when I do this...
    Use the other hand, son.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,847
    I actualy had it in both arms at once from a surf kayak trip to long beach, out of shape beating it out thru the surf swinging a 208 harmony paddle which is LONG, lots of scoop in the blades, more constant abuse than what normaly happens in WW

    it went away over the winter
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Everything I read says treatment is pretty much rest it- which is hardly an option.
    Huh? It's pretty well known that tendon injuries don't respond well at all to rest -- yeah, the pain goes away temporarily but returns as soon as activity is increased.

    Best option is to stop/minimize doing whatever hurt it while simultaneously getting stronger slowly and progressively. Those therabands seem like a good option, but I do reverse wrist curls. Personally, I also respond well to acupuncture with e-stim and deep friction massage weekly or biweekly while I'm progressively loading the tendon. That combo has worked the best for me, so far.

    PRP or shockwave therapy seem like good options for very stubborn and chronic bouts of tendonitis after you've exhausted more conservative approaches. No experience iwth shockwave therapy, and it seems hard to find docs in the US who do it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Huh? It's pretty well known that tendon injuries don't respond well at all to rest -- yeah, the pain goes away temporarily but returns as soon as activity is increased.

    Best option is to stop/minimize doing whatever hurt it while simultaneously getting stronger slowly and progressively. Those therabands seem like a good option, but I do reverse wrist curls. Personally, I also respond well to acupuncture with e-stim and deep friction massage weekly or biweekly while I'm progressively loading the tendon. That combo has worked the best for me, so far.

    PRP or shockwave therapy seem like good options for very stubborn and chronic bouts of tendonitis after you've exhausted more conservative approaches. No experience iwth shockwave therapy, and it seems hard to find docs in the US who do it.
    After my experience with shock wave therapy, it would be the first thing i will do if i develop tendonitis, or more accurately when.

    Yes, there are that many people that do it, i love in Tahoe and there is one in Truckee, then Sacramento.
    And it will cost 600 for a series of 5 treatments, which is the recommended number.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,554
    Also, it's true, rest doesn't work. You need to strengthen gradually the muscles around it. Tendonitis probably happened because of muscle weakness, more load on the tendon. And the tendon weaker because the muscle was weaker

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    2,850
    Ok, sorry, but when I read on various websites:

    *Rest. Avoid activities that aggravate your elbow pain.

    *This condition comes from repetition and overuse. As much as you can, rest your elbow.

    *Rest ó Rest is your first line of defense against this condition. People find it persistent mainly because they donít take the problem seriously enough. Even a minor injury like this will not just magically go away if you keep doing whatever irritated the forearm muscles and tendons in the first place. A week of resting the arm as much as possible is often enough to make a significant difference.


    I took that to mean I should rest it. I see that there are exercises you can do as well after it feels better, but I cannot just stop doing my shit is what I meant.

    I've got an appointment tomorrow. We'll see what the doc says.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    2,850
    Thought I'd update this. Doc gave me a cortisone shot. Took a day or two, but the pain in completely gone.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,791
    I had cortisone shot in elbow. It lasted a while but I ended up having surgery to fix it. Been good ever since.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Thought I'd update this. Doc gave me a cortisone shot. Took a day or two, but the pain in completely gone.
    I'm hoping for a similar outcome. Lost a bunch of trees to a storm this past Fall and decided to get some exercise splitting all the wood by hand. Good exercise, but got my first case of tennis elbow. Headed out for a ski trip in a few weeks and think it might be time to try a cortisone shot.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by sitzmarker View Post
    I'm hoping for a similar outcome. Lost a bunch of trees to a storm this past Fall and decided to get some exercise splitting all the wood by hand. Good exercise, but got my first case of tennis elbow. Headed out for a ski trip in a few weeks and think it might be time to try a cortisone shot.
    Wouldn't do it. You have a lifetime limit of 3 shots in one spot.
    Prp will work, but perhaps not in time.

    Wave shock therapy will heal it in 5 sessions, once a week.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Wouldn't do it. You have a lifetime limit of 3 shots in one spot.
    Prp will work, but perhaps not in time.

    Wave shock therapy will heal it in 5 sessions, once a week.
    Headed to doctor this week - I'll see what he recommends. It's my first bout of tennis elbow and the typical rest and ibuprofen route has gotten me nowhere. Getting old sucks.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,847
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Also, it's true, rest doesn't work. You need to strengthen gradually the muscles around it. Tendonitis probably happened because of muscle weakness, more load on the tendon. And the tendon weaker because the muscle was weaker

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app
    well maybe i'm a special flower but i've had tennis elbow 5 times from gripping things too hard,

    each time it eventualy went away after a years or so

    and I havent had it for > 10 years now since i wnet to small shaft paddles
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-19-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,751
    Rest works for me. I've had epicondylitis a couple of times over 25 years--both elbows from shoveling snow and from a lot of uphill poling. Both times I was able to get through the snow/ski season with forearm bands and then heal in the off season. Both times the healing lasted for 10+ years.

    As far as shock wave therapy--here's a randomized trial that says it doesn't work.
    https://journals.lww.com/jbjsjournal...atment.12.aspx

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    2,850
    Cortisone wore off. Saw ortho this morning. He scheduled an MRI. He sounded like he thinks I'm headed for surgery due to the long-term, chronic nature of my condition, but he wants a picture.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,791
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Cortisone wore off. Saw ortho this morning. He scheduled an MRI. He sounded like he thinks I'm headed for surgery due to the long-term, chronic nature of my condition, but he wants a picture.
    My ortho did it with just an X-ray that didnít show anything. Just cleaned it up Better safe though.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,117
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Wouldn't do it. You have a lifetime limit of 3 shots in one spot.
    Prp will work, but perhaps not in time.

    Wave shock therapy will heal it in 5 sessions, once a week.
    Had a friend long ago who had done a shitload of cortisone in his elbow and when it went, he suffered bigtime and became a pain pill junkie.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swiss alps
    Posts
    444
    I rock climb a lot (or currently just train due to ACL surgery). Elbow is flaring up and I am doing planche progressions, wrist curls and handstands to cure it. Has worked in the past so i am hopeful it will again.

    Most of these issues stem from muscular imbalances so you can do shots and surgery but that is just fighting symptoms, not the cause.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I rock climb a lot (or currently just train due to ACL surgery). Elbow is flaring up and I am doing planche progressions, wrist curls and handstands to cure it. Has worked in the past so i am hopeful it will again.

    Most of these issues stem from muscular imbalances so you can do shots and surgery but that is just fighting symptoms, not the cause.
    Wave shock therapy works well

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    2,850
    MRI shows a tear. Got another cortisone shot at last appointment though and still pain free. Going to ortho surgeon in July for a consultation.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    10,985
    And now for some reason the issue has gone away. I guess the answer was to play more golf. I'm good with that.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •