Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trippy. Haven't been on here in years and the first thread I see in here is mine from 8 years ago. And I have the same issue over the last month or so again with my elbow. They never found anything in the xray years back either. Damn thing is painful, especially in the morning after sleeping.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Anything with gripping. I did a long paddle three weeks ago and that really aggravated it. Fly fished two days this last weekend and now it's really bad.

I can still lift weights, but exercises that get me into particular angles hurt.
    yeah IME/IMO its the having to constantly grip something instead of it just being in your hand

I always used the band around just below my elbow, try to use the large torso muscles instead of your arms might help, eventualy it will go away

my 5 instances of tennis elbow in 20+ years had all happened while paddling and it always went away, I changed both my paddles to small shaft werner that don't have overly large blades or long shafts and I have had no reoccurance in 12 years
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Doc, it hurts when I do this...
    Use the other hand, son.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I actualy had it in both arms at once from a surf kayak trip to long beach, out of shape beating it out thru the surf swinging a 208 harmony paddle which is LONG, lots of scoop in the blades, more constant abuse than what normaly happens in WW

it went away over the winter

Everything I read says treatment is pretty much rest it- which is hardly an option.
    Huh? It's pretty well known that tendon injuries don't respond well at all to rest -- yeah, the pain goes away temporarily but returns as soon as activity is increased.

Best option is to stop/minimize doing whatever hurt it while simultaneously getting stronger slowly and progressively. Those therabands seem like a good option, but I do reverse wrist curls. Personally, I also respond well to acupuncture with e-stim and deep friction massage weekly or biweekly while I'm progressively loading the tendon. That combo has worked the best for me, so far.

PRP or shockwave therapy seem like good options for very stubborn and chronic bouts of tendonitis after you've exhausted more conservative approaches. No experience iwth shockwave therapy, and it seems hard to find docs in the US who do it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Huh? It's pretty well known that tendon injuries don't respond well at all to rest -- yeah, the pain goes away temporarily but returns as soon as activity is increased.

Best option is to stop/minimize doing whatever hurt it while simultaneously getting stronger slowly and progressively. Those therabands seem like a good option, but I do reverse wrist curls. Personally, I also respond well to acupuncture with e-stim and deep friction massage weekly or biweekly while I'm progressively loading the tendon. That combo has worked the best for me, so far.

PRP or shockwave therapy seem like good options for very stubborn and chronic bouts of tendonitis after you've exhausted more conservative approaches. No experience iwth shockwave therapy, and it seems hard to find docs in the US who do it.
    After my experience with shock wave therapy, it would be the first thing i will do if i develop tendonitis, or more accurately when.

Yes, there are that many people that do it, i love in Tahoe and there is one in Truckee, then Sacramento.
    And it will cost 600 for a series of 5 treatments, which is the recommended number.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Also, it's true, rest doesn't work. You need to strengthen gradually the muscles around it. Tendonitis probably happened because of muscle weakness, more load on the tendon. And the tendon weaker because the muscle was weaker

Ok, sorry, but when I read on various websites:

*Rest. Avoid activities that aggravate your elbow pain.

*This condition comes from repetition and overuse. As much as you can, rest your elbow.

*Rest — Rest is your first line of defense against this condition. People find it persistent mainly because they don’t take the problem seriously enough. Even a minor injury like this will not just magically go away if you keep doing whatever irritated the forearm muscles and tendons in the first place. A week of resting the arm as much as possible is often enough to make a significant difference.

I took that to mean I should rest it. I see that there are exercises you can do as well after it feels better, but I cannot just stop doing my shit is what I meant.

I've got an appointment tomorrow. We'll see what the doc says.

Thought I'd update this. Doc gave me a cortisone shot. Took a day or two, but the pain in completely gone.

I had cortisone shot in elbow. It lasted a while but I ended up having surgery to fix it. Been good ever since.

Thought I'd update this. Doc gave me a cortisone shot. Took a day or two, but the pain in completely gone.
    I'm hoping for a similar outcome. Lost a bunch of trees to a storm this past Fall and decided to get some exercise splitting all the wood by hand. Good exercise, but got my first case of tennis elbow. Headed out for a ski trip in a few weeks and think it might be time to try a cortisone shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sitzmarker View Post
    I'm hoping for a similar outcome. Lost a bunch of trees to a storm this past Fall and decided to get some exercise splitting all the wood by hand. Good exercise, but got my first case of tennis elbow. Headed out for a ski trip in a few weeks and think it might be time to try a cortisone shot.
    Wouldn't do it. You have a lifetime limit of 3 shots in one spot.
    Prp will work, but perhaps not in time.

Wave shock therapy will heal it in 5 sessions, once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Headed to doctor this week - I'll see what he recommends. It's my first bout of tennis elbow and the typical rest and ibuprofen route has gotten me nowhere. Getting old sucks.

Also, it's true, rest doesn't work. You need to strengthen gradually the muscles around it. Tendonitis probably happened because of muscle weakness, more load on the tendon. And the tendon weaker because the muscle was weaker

well maybe i'm a special flower but i've had tennis elbow 5 times from gripping things too hard,

each time it eventualy went away after a years or so

and I havent had it for > 10 years now since i wnet to small shaft paddles
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-19-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Rest works for me. I've had epicondylitis a couple of times over 25 years--both elbows from shoveling snow and from a lot of uphill poling. Both times I was able to get through the snow/ski season with forearm bands and then heal in the off season. Both times the healing lasted for 10+ years.

As far as shock wave therapy--here's a randomized trial that says it doesn't work.
    https://journals.lww.com/jbjsjournal...atment.12.aspx

Cortisone wore off. Saw ortho this morning. He scheduled an MRI. He sounded like he thinks I'm headed for surgery due to the long-term, chronic nature of my condition, but he wants a picture.

Cortisone wore off. Saw ortho this morning. He scheduled an MRI. He sounded like he thinks I'm headed for surgery due to the long-term, chronic nature of my condition, but he wants a picture.
    My ortho did it with just an X-ray that didn’t show anything. Just cleaned it up Better safe though.

Had a friend long ago who had done a shitload of cortisone in his elbow and when it went, he suffered bigtime and became a pain pill junkie.

I rock climb a lot (or currently just train due to ACL surgery). Elbow is flaring up and I am doing planche progressions, wrist curls and handstands to cure it. Has worked in the past so i am hopeful it will again.

Most of these issues stem from muscular imbalances so you can do shots and surgery but that is just fighting symptoms, not the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I rock climb a lot (or currently just train due to ACL surgery). Elbow is flaring up and I am doing planche progressions, wrist curls and handstands to cure it. Has worked in the past so i am hopeful it will again.

Most of these issues stem from muscular imbalances so you can do shots and surgery but that is just fighting symptoms, not the cause.
    Wave shock therapy works well

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

MRI shows a tear. Got another cortisone shot at last appointment though and still pain free. Going to ortho surgeon in July for a consultation.

And now for some reason the issue has gone away. I guess the answer was to play more golf. I'm good with that.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Ortho recommended PT. It helped some. If anything it was nice leaving work and getting my arm messaged for an hour chatting with PT techs. The doc said it should go away, even with the small tear. It's mellowed out enough that I just live with it now.

Resurrecting this and checking in with chronic tennis elbow and at a crossroads. Had pretty bad pain last year, cortisone shot in November and after a few days pain was totally gone but still didn’t have mobility to fully lock out elbow. Continued normal activities, mtb, skied, swam, cut wood and then tried wake boarding for first time as a 42 yr old grown idiot and pain from a year ago is back.

Cortisone shot #2, shock wave?, surgery consult?

Pain is nearly unbearable for certain activities, motions and angles. Like extending outward to grip and pick up a 12 oz mug of coffee.

Either prp or wave shock therapy will fix it, at least it did f6it me

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk