TR: Mount Adams 7/25/10

With temperatures nearing 100 in Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho, we packed the bus to find cooler temps and snow covered slopes in the Cascades. The rumor was Mt. Adams still had a great snowpack but dwindling fast on the lower slopes. Snacktray, Reggie and Chris figured that would be a great destination.

The Central Washington heat wave

Yeah...This looks more like it

Still sleepy,Chris(lost a boxing match with his ski pole) and Snacktray rollin the South Route at sunrise with Mt. Hood in the background

Chris, Snacktray and Reggie posing with Mt. Rainier on the summit

After about an hour of hanging out on the summit waiting for the snow to soften, we enjoyed the fruits of our labor.
    The cold wind was blowing hard on the Southwest Chutes, so we headed down an icy summit to the leeward,southeastern side to find a softer descent.
    Gettin off to a rough start. Woot!

On to softer slopes....

We were able to link all the lower slope patches all the way down with only a half hour hike back to the car. About 40 minutes of continous turns only stopping to route find and switch the camera. Not sure if it was the fact that it was the end of July, 100 degrees in Hood River or my winter was cut short( broke my heel in a climbing fall), but that was one of the most satisfying runs in my existence thus far. This pic is where we finally ran out of snow. Thanks, Mount Adams

Cool - nice TR.

utah needs to change it to greatest snow on earth except in summer. that is insane having so much snow that you went down the south face! non skiers can't begin to understand anything about summer skiing and even many skiers have no idea of what you said about one of the best ski days of your life. it is hard to explain. you guys must have climbed 6000'-7000'? 40 minutes of "down time"! major stoke builder! thanks!

Nice, still looking pretty good up there. The SW Chutes in June were on of my favorite non-powder runs of all time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    non skiers can't begin to understand anything about summer skiing and even many skiers have no idea of what you said about one of the best ski days of your life. it is hard to explain. you guys must have climbed 6000'-7000'? 40 minutes of "down time"! major stoke builder! thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words Slaag. Yeah...most don't understand hiking for summer turns. It is hard to explain! That would make a good thread.
    You hit it just about right...6676' of climbing and 30-40 minutes of down time...so fun

Did you descend the standard climbers route or venture left to the Mazama Glacier? From your pics, looks like the Mazama Glacier? Any crevasses to navigate around? Looks like a fun ski.

Hey, it's Chris from Portillo last year.
    Nice photos, looks like you had a blast.
    I am missing the snow terribly.
    Can't wait to make som turns.

Nice work Glenn....it ain't quite what we were doing last July....but still pretty damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Did you descend the standard climbers route or venture left to the Mazama Glacier? From your pics, looks like the Mazama Glacier? Any crevasses to navigate around? Looks like a fun ski.
    We descended skiers left of the standard route. From the 6th pic you can see where the crevasse opens up substantially descending to the Lunch Counter. Didn't really scope it out, but from what I saw I'm sure their would be navigation issues on the glacier.

Nice job. I am still amazed at how much snow is still there. We did it 2 weeks ago and thought it only had a few weeks left.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

beauty, eh. Sooo fortunate to have summer snow out there, I am stoked for all y'all!!

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    That looks very enjoyable.

Bump to the only real stoke on here right now. Nice work Snacks. Where are all those little dots coming from in this pic? Lunch counter?

"We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Thumbs up

+1 for real stoke! Nicely done!

Here I am sitting in Hot Hot India - loving your TR.

Waiting to get back just in time for the season.

Marty

I've been looking over at Adams for a couple of weeks from my job at Mt. Hood, wondering how often it got skied in the summer. Thanks for the answer! Nice one