2011 Jeep grand cherokee

just checked this thing out on the web, and i gotta say it looks pretty slick. i have an '01 GC 190k miles still going strong, curious about the new ones. serious interior upgrades. reviews are good so far, reliability will remain unknown for a while still. mileage bad, highway 22 (maybe) for 4wd, but other than that i can't see any downsides and it looks like one sweet ride, even the standard V6.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...rand-cherokee/

thoughts?

jgb@etree Guest
    The Grand Cherokee has come a LONG way since it was introduced in 93/94.

I've owned 5 in total, two of which I still drive.

Started off with the ZJ's - a 95 Ltd which I traded in for a 98 5.9 Ltd. It took a couple of years to get used to the WJ styling, but I finally broke down and bought a 01 Ltd. While the 95 & 98 were solid, the 01 had all kinds of problems. I got fed up and traded it in for a 03 Ltd. Basically the same car, but the 03 was much more reliable. When the WJ's were replaced by the WK in 2005, it once again took me a couple of years to come around to the new style. I traded the 03 in for a 07 Ltd with lifetime powertrain warranty (which I then upgraded to lifetime, unlimited mileage bumper to bumper) and it's been amazing. Still a bit too much interior plastic for my taste (although that started changing in the '08s, but it's reliable, performs great and has luxury features (nav, bluetooth, backup cameras, auto lights, wipers, etc, etc... the list goes on forever). Seats, like most Jeeps, are firm yet SUPER comfortable on long trips. If you plan on driving in deep snow or wheeling at all, I'd *strongly* recommend QuadraDrive II. NOT QuadraTrac II. QDII has electronic diffs in the front & rear that are capable of completely locking. The system is a standard 60/40 split, but is capable of putting 100% power to one wheel if needed.

Done a little reading on the '11 WK2, and for the most part I like what I see. Like every other redesign, it's going to take a few years before I like the look enough to buy one. I figure by 2013 the 98 5.9 will be north of 250,000 miles (it's got about 210,000 on it now) will be a lost cause and will probably get replaced with a WK2.

As you indicated, reliability is unknown as this is the first MY of the new body style. IMO it's just not a good idea to by a vehicle in it's first (or even second!) MY as they haven't had time to address all of the issues with the new parts and manufacturing process.

Jeep = the SUV for Iron Maiden fans?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

yeah i'm definitely going to wait and see what reliability is like after a year or two and maybe for the price to drop a bit.

my '01 has had its share of problems, i.e. the transmission went at 60k, but since then, it's been solid. haven't had the problems of other '01 owners. thinking i'm gonna drive it til it dies, then upgrade.

going in for a test drive when the local dealer gets some more in stock, will report results.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    IMO it's just not a good idea to by a vehicle in it's first (or even second!) MY as they haven't had time to address all of the issues with the new parts and manufacturing process.
    ^

I once made the mistake of buying a Jeep model in it's first year.

Small freeway accident after a few months of ownership and it sat in a repair shop for 6 months awaiting parts from Jeep. Nothing could be done either through dealer or from HQ. Best part of it was Chrysler finance still wanted to be paid every month.

I'm sure this isn't an issue unique to Jeep.

That new GC does look very nice if that's you're thing. Most of their recent cars have been shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Jeep = the SUV for Iron Maiden fans?
    Soccer Mom's.

obviously, it's perfect for the mall parking lot.

PS: I think we had an '02. There was absolutely nothing positive I can say about it other than that it was a lease, and we could be the fuck rid of it. Actually, that's not even a positive. We wanted to get rid of the thing before the lease ended, but couldn't really. And it was the perfect Westchester car.

Get an 09 Outback.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

By we do you mean your mommy and daddy? Did they let you drive it or was it before you got your licence?
    Move along nothing to see here.

I had an 01 JGC and loved it until it hit about 130K and had problem after problem with sensors, transmission, cv joint, air bag etc since it was pretty low value at that point I traded in instead of dropping 3k-4k in repairs. As far as the 2011 goes it looks better IMO and it looks like they added some nice 4WD features that actually adjust suspension to the conditions. several times I drove some pretty hairy forest service and access roads in dirt, mud and snow and the thing kicked ass at it.

The big problem with the grand cherokee is the gas mileage. you would think that in 2011 they could make a "small" suv that got better than 16 city 22 hwy. I think thats pretty weak for the way things have been going. If that had done some new V-6 or the v-8 that drops 4 cylinders on the highway to save gas or a hybrid tranny... basically anything but sticking with old tech. I think thats the biggest problem with jeep is that they stick with old tech until its way out of date and they are far behind. This usually makes them reliable but its the 21st century come on lets try something new
    Carry on my wayward son...

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    If that had done some new V-6 or the v-8 that drops 4 cylinders on the highway to save gas or a hybrid tranny...
    The Hemi's have a feature called MDS - Multi Displacement System. It does exactly that - cuts out 4 cyls when not needed to improve fuel economy.

Not many folks really buy v8's with fuel economy in mind.

I had a y2k limited that I put 125k on in five years, never had a problem with it at all, brakes every now and then. Went from that to a F150 SCrew. Thinking about getting another one now. They are such great mtn rigs, fast, get great traction, fun to drive. The mileage slam is funeh, how much difference in mileage are other 4x4's getting? Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    By we do you mean your mommy and daddy? Did they let you drive it or was it before you got your licence?
    Even at 16 I could tell there was something wrong with a car you couldn't see the stoplights in when you pulled up to them. We (Meaning mommy and daddy) went through about 3 rear bumpers and I bent a fender (we just moved and SOMETHING had to get broke). It had that little computer so you could see what great gas mileage you had on it (never above 20) and when we gave it back it had like 18k on it after 3 years. It was just the perfect train station and back car for the perfect Westchester family.
    No longer stuck.

jgb@etree Guest
    I'm really confused. Are you trying to blame stupidity and/or poor driving on a car???

Even at 16 I could tell there was something wrong with a car you couldn't see the stoplights in when you pulled up to them.
    And even in my 30's, I can tell you that it's really not the cars fault that you pull up to the light so far that you can't see it thru the windshield.... the problem lies with the driver.

We (Meaning mommy and daddy) went through about 3 rear bumpers and I bent a fender (we just moved and SOMETHING had to get broke).
    Again, going thru bumpers & fenders isn't a design or reliability issue. It's the result of stupid drivers running into things.

Even at 16 I could tell there was something wrong with a car you couldn't see the stoplights in when you pulled up to them. We (Meaning mommy and daddy) went through about 3 rear bumpers and I bent a fender (we just moved and SOMETHING had to get broke). It had that little computer so you could see what great gas mileage you had on it (never above 20) and when we gave it back it had like 18k on it after 3 years. It was just the perfect train station and back car for the perfect Westchester family.
    I think everybody liked it better when you were stuck out east. Missoula loves the rich kids though! Lemme guess, sabbatical to Jhole?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

no, I'm pretty poor, but thanks.

You this big a douche in real life?
    No longer stuck.

no, I'm pretty poor, but thanks.

You this big a douche in real life?
    Oh, much worse. Who's paying for college, BTW? When you can afford to buy an '09 Outback or a 2011 JGC, you can offer your opinion. What are you, 19? They don't even rent cars to kids your age.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Loans and grants are paying for college. Parents and credit cards help with the rest.
    I'm old enough to rent a car.
    FWIW, I drive me legacy really hard, and I picked up a few scratches and dents, but it came with a few. I can also see the stop light when I pull up to the white line. I can see behind and to the sides of me, so I don't bump into shit. When I step on the brakes, the car stops. There was this weird extra space where the brakes did nothing when you started pressing down on the pedal in the Jeep. I also get farther above 20mpg than that thing got under. I can't stand the way most American cars drive. The Subaru is pretty quick handling and doesn't feel disconnected from the road.
    Suck it.
    No longer stuck.

bumpage. anyone got one? first hand reports?

I am curious about this too. I own an 03 (or is it 04, I always forget) - whatever the last year they had the round back. The car has been great for me. 110,000 miles and nothing too major. I do HATE that mine doesn't have four wheel high, only "all-time" i.e. never, or four wheel low. They are using this same crap four wheel drive on the new one unless you upgrade.

Obviously we have all heard the '05-10 models sucked major major ass. I have never heard so many people with bad experiences with one car.

As someone else said, maybe by 2013 they will have the kinks worked out... My only gripe is the smaller cargo area. It's a much shorter car than older models.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

I think they're very, very nice cars. It's fascinating to watch factory videos of them being built, there's like 1,000 welds on the body or something.

I think the new Grand Cherokee is very nice looking inside and out. In particular, the interior materials are much improved over the WK (2005-09), which I thought was a big step backwards, and had a cheaper interior than the WJ (1999-2004) that preceded it.

For a long time, I was a big Jeep fan. Owned two XJ Cherokees, an '02 WJ Grand Cherokee, and an '05 Rubicon Unlimited. All with the 4.0L straight six. (If I had unlimited $, I'd never have sold the Rubicon, but I just don't have the time/$/space to hold onto what was basically an offroad toy, and a terrible highway vehicle.)

Once Jeep moved away from the solid front axles on the Grand Cherokees, there was no reason IMHO to buy Jeep anymore. You can buy other manufacturers' SUVs of comparable size and features, in the same price range, and get better reliability.

None of my Jeeps ever suffered major repair issues, but none were perfect either. They all needed small repairs that were cheap enough if you did them yourself (e.g., throttle position sensor, crank position sensor, leaky rear main seal), but a hassle nevertheless. Jeep/Chrysler also never invested in any significant upgrades to the 4.0L motor after 1992, so the hp/tq and MPG remained about the same, while other manufacturers introduced newer, more powerful, and more efficient motors. Too bad. The new 3.6L V6 Chrysler is using has good numbers on paper (290hp/260tq); let's hope the vehicles they're using that motor in aren't so heavy as to overcome that performance.

At this point, I'm sold on the quality of Japanese-built Toyota products. Not a single thing has gone wrong on my 4Runner, not even any rattles after 3 years. With gas prices on the climb again, however, I'd probably look at crossover vehicles if shopping today. The new Lexus RX350 is really nice, and better mpg than the traditional body-on-frame 4WDs like the 4Runner/GX/FJ Cruiser platform.

If you decide you do want the new Grand Cherokee, wait a year or two, and buy one coming off lease. American brands still depreciate massively after 1 year, and you'll be able to pick it up cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have had one of the new JGCs for about two months now. I am a little concerned about the reliability but they are sweet and have been getting great reviews. I got a deal on a managers demo Overland model and I have to say it is really plush for a Jeep. I have the 6 cyl and it has more than enough power for me. (but I am at low altitude and coming from a chevy malibu bace corp fleet car) I am dying to get it into some snow but thats a few weeks out. So far everything has been awesome. The air shock system is pretty badass but this is also the area I am most concerned about from a reliability standpoint.

Only 7000 miles in but so far I am loving it.

I take my car advice from 16 year olds all the time...they know everything. Real experience is so key. The Jeep has been a good vehicle. I've owned 3 in my life. A 96 sport, 99 limited, and I have an 01 Laredo. I've had other vehicles too so I'm not super biased, 96 grand prix, 70 chevelle, there was a 91 civic in there, and a 2002 Lincoln LSE. Not sure what people are referring too on the 01 problems. There's little that was changed between the 99-01 and 02-04. I believe the suspension is slightly different and they did a caliper upgrade. Fronts got dual pistons, but anyone who has the 99-01 probably had the dealership switch out the old calipers anyways. The motors offered were identical and I believe the trannys were too. Mainly 4.0s, 4.7s, and 242s or whatever quadra trac II's were on limiteds. I think they went with the black grill mesh instead of painted chrome too. Anyways, they're excellent for trips to the mountains, easy to drive and not too big and not too small for the suv class. Of all my cars I'd say the jeeps and chevelle gave me the best reliability. The Lincoln was the worst by far. Bad motor, bad trans, permanently faulted airbag system, looked awesome, rode smooth, and cost a fortune to keep fixing it. $700 wholesale to fix the motor underneath the drivers seat that was stuck all the way back. Fucking please. That was all Fords poor manufacturing. The parts were very low quality for a car that was supposed to be pretty high end. The one thing I love about my jeep is the parts. You can do a new water pump for $30 and you got a 4.0 motor that's been known to go safely over 300k. Fucking outback ain't doing that I'm sorry. Damn I want a new jeep now.

My wife drives the 2011 Overland with the hemi. I love the truck and so does she. Picked it up in January and she has 18k miles on it with no problems so far. Interior is much more refined than older models, nav is great, as are the rear seat heaters, steering wheel heater, and 110v rear seat outlet. She gets lots of compliments on the truck.

A good friend also has a 2011 Overland V6, he put Blizzaks on his for the winter on the stock 20" rims. I also know 2 other people that have the 2011 and all like it with no complaints.

My wife previously drove a 2004 Limited V8 and we traded it on this one with 133k on it. I probably put half the miles on it. Loved that one as well, had some differential replacements (twice rear, once front) but that was probably due to my driving habits (90 mph highway drives from PA to NYC with an AWD truck). All were covered under warranty with no pushback by the dealer.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".