Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mt Baker skiers.

I'm planning on spending my next season at Baker and am hoping to meet up with some skiers since I wont be really going with my own friends too often.

I'm 20, going to university in Vancouver. Spent last season in Fernie and managed to get in around 80 days. The school im going to is on a trimester system so what I do is go to school from May-Dec (summer and fall semester) and then take off the spring semester to ski. I will probably be heading up to the mtn 4days/week, maybe 5 sometimes.

Last season was my first "full" season and i'm super stoked to be doing it again. Before last season I would say I averaged around 20days/season from the ages of 5-18. I definitely made some major improvements to my skiing last year and am looking forward to doing the same this coming season. I like to ski anything and am looking for some people to help me push my skiing forward. Preferably I would like to find a group of skiers that are slightly better than myself. I also want to get into more hucking this year(10-15ft is the biggest I have thrown).I'm interested in pow, chutes and trees over park and jib stuff.

P.S - The MJ is a pretty regular part of my skiing but obviously I can't be going across the border like that....... this issue will need to be resolved.

It's July but im already getting stoked for the winter!

Thanks.

Hey dude!

I'm planning on doing the same thing!

Check my thread out for some info:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196587"]Live in Glacier, work at Baker? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

(edit, shit, didn't read the whole thing very good.. But hey, I'm up to ski witj ya!)

//Teo
    Looking for the next turn..

Vancouver BC or WA?

edit: You mentioned crossing the border... I'm assuming BC?

Why not Whistler, cheap student passes and tons of people heading up there makes it a pretty good option... What school you going to?

I'm going to be living in abbotsford next season, and skiing Baker 8 days a week.

Wanna ski?

I love skiing.

I blame Grant.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Awesome, good to hear others are stoked on bumming at Baker.

I'm in Vancouver, B.C. Specifically Langley so Baker is just over and hour for me. Whistler is over a 2 hour drive from my place so I couldn't do Whistler unless I was living there, which would be costly( i'm living at home still )

K2skipunk- yes, I wanna ski. We should get together come the winter.

the teo- we should ski also.

What's your guys skiing like?

Quote Originally Posted by james11 View Post
    Awesome, good to hear others are stoked on bumming at Baker.

I'm in Vancouver, B.C. Specifically Langley so Baker is just over and hour for me. Whistler is over a 2 hour drive from my place so I couldn't do Whistler unless I was living there, which would be costly( i'm living at home still )

K2skipunk- yes, I wanna ski. We should get together come the winter.

the teo- we should ski also.

What school?

The goods are around chair 3/4 and most of Tanner and CR's footage was filmed at Chair 7 trees. Teh sickness! Tall tees in the half-pipe are required! (Also on chair 7).
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    What school?
    Kwantlen, Langley and Surrey Campus.

so baker is the new cham?
    I'd rather buy the SupSB lift system quickly (it's on sale for 1CHF): hop said that SupSB+creva is the new baker.....
    ahhhh I'm gonna be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by james11 View Post

I ski aggresive and try to ski as fast as possible when the conditions allow it.
    Not a park skier i any way, but I like to jump & huck.
    I love tree skiing..

Quote Originally Posted by the_teo View Post
    I ski aggresive
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178378"]no way!![/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by the_teo View Post
    I ski aggresive and try to ski as fast as possible when the conditions allow it.
    Not a park skier i any way, but I like to jump & huck.
    I love tree skiing..
    Sweet. Sounds good to me .

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    I'm so extreme

Extremely aggressive? Because The Rock already skis here, and there's not room for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Extremely aggressive? Because The Rock already skis here, and there's not room for another one.
    Bwah!!!!!!
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    There was room for one more, but pebble is filling that role.

On another note, bumming for a season at baker is pretty dumb if you ask me. Between the rain, psychotic management, and maple falls heshers it's a pretty unfriendly place. People don't realize that all those photos from gwant seen in the mags are all shot on maybe 2 or 3 days. The rest of the time it's not really all that good. I think that the tahoe area or colorado would be much better choices.
    smoke crack and worship satan

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
    There was room for one more, but pebble is filling that role.

On another note, bumming for a season at baker is pretty dumb if you ask me. Between the rain, psychotic management, and maple falls heshers it's a pretty unfriendly place. People don't realize that all those photos from gwant seen in the mags are all shot on maybe 2 or 3 days. The rest of the time it's not really all that good. I think that the tahoe area or colorado would be much better choices.
    I see what you're doing there. BTW why all the maple falls hate? 4th of july was a fucking blast out here, plus, how many towns have a "NO SHOOTING - Enforced by sheriff" sign as you enter and exit?

Moving to Van this summer as well, got a Whistler pass but want to check out Baker as much as possible too, when it's good, since I might not be working this winter .

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    I see what you're doing there. BTW why all the maple falls hate? 4th of july was a fucking blast out here, plus, how many towns have a "NO SHOOTING - Enforced by sheriff" sign as you enter and exit?
    WC is telling the truth. I told the_teo that the most important thing to have for a season at Mt. Baker is not the newest fattest rockered skis or the best waterproof clothing, it's a car to get the fuck out of town during those pineapple express storms that show up all too frequently.

You haven't been around long enough to experience some random person break in to your house and start stealing your stuff while you're in the other room, or hide out under your deck while trying to evade the police, or any of the other fun activities that happen in Maple Falls when you're there for more than a couple of weeks. Any other town wouldn't need the "no shooting" sign but the general public in Maple Falls needs the reminder.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    WC is telling the truth. I told the_teo that the most important thing to have for a season at Mt. Baker is not the newest fattest rockered skis or the best waterproof clothing, it's a car to get the fuck out of town during those pineapple express storms that show up all too frequently.

You haven't been around long enough to experience some random person break in to your house and start stealing your stuff while you're in the other room, or hide out under your deck while trying to evade the police, or any of the other fun activities that happen in Maple Falls when you're there for more than a couple of weeks. Any other town wouldn't need the "no shooting" sign but the general public in Maple Falls needs the reminder.
    Oh I know, it was a joke, this place was fucking crazy on the 4th of july. There were guns going off everywhere and the neighbor was launching off mortars like 6 feet from my house. I'm working from home, and at least once a day there is a loud angry argument outside or a fight, the 30-30 lives not far from the computer.... rent is cheap though. One of these days i'm going to take my camera and walk around the neighborhood taking pictures. This might be a low point in my life, and I don't want to forget it.

As for baker, I'm not expecting Utah and I don't think any sane person is. Hopefully I can strike while the iron is hot, work while its raining, and really reap the benefit of living out here when I'm still making turns in the summer. It has to be better than the EC...right?

The only thing worse than Maple Falls is.... Kendall. Where people actually DO shoot each other. When they aren't busy burning garbage or stealing or vandalizing or anything else illegal in this country but encouraged whereverthefuck they came from. So just keep that in mind -- it could be worse. You could be a couple miles away.

grambo: If it's good at Baker, it's probably good at W/B. Not sure why you'd bother coming down here.

I can't actually believe that anybody would want to come here for the skiing after the last 2 unbelievably shitty winters we've had, but whatever. Just stay out of my way and don't fuck up the traverses. It's no High-T, but still. Somebody gets messed up in the slackcountry this winter, its gone for good, until the Howats aren't running the area any more. So just don't go.

sam: BTW, a 30-30 surely isn't the weapon of choice for the rampant meth-heads in MF. You might consider upgrading to something bigger and slower. serisly.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...18067&t=h&z=16

my neighborhood is technically kendall, though the address reads maple falls.

1st. I'll likely be all BC, so i wouldn't worry about my tracks.

2nd. we have an air rifle, 2 30-30's and a 12 gauge with 6 rounds of buck shot at the ready... my 30-30 is just what lives near the computer. The air rifle is by the back door for shooting beer cans off the porch and keeping the neighbors cat out of the yard, and the other 30-30 lives in allens room, as does the 12 gauge. If they try and get in while anyone's home, I don't think it'll be pretty. Also, I'm not sure if all 30-30's are lever action (not really a gun guy despite the above), but all of the ones we own and all that i've ever seen are. Having 6 rounds handy is comforting in an NRA kinda way.

Perhaps one of you gentleman who post in the "GUNS" thread could educate me on what's the best weapon for turning tweakers into a pink mist?
    /NRA home invasion wet dream

3rd. I just found out that a 6'5" 250# "familial child rapist" lives like two houses down too..... to say nothing of the guy who was arrested for owning the animal sex farm (a ways) up the road
    Last edited by samthaman; 07-25-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Given your location I'll be surprised if you or your ski gear are around long enough to experience a winter ski season.

I'm mostly kidding.

The Bonin Petrels

All I want for Christmas is for people to stop claiming they "live" in Maple Falls when they really live smack in the middle of Kendall. You're ruining a somewhat less-crappy town by attempting to claim it just because your address says Maple Falls. You live in fucking Kendall! You can't make it sound better by saying you live somewhere you don't!

Just don't do a search on sex predators in your neighborhood -- your computer might explode.