Page 174 of 224 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 5587
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I'd suggest riding every board you ever get a chance to ride.
    Stoked you found a board you love. While it is great to try different boards, keep the ones you love close.
    Why when I'm on short surf trips to Mexico for a week I often just rent beater boards for whatever the current conditions are. Fun to try different boards and feelings.
    This board will be in the quiver until it dies for sure!

I've surfed the pier plenty and never seen a day where Nat would not have been one of the standouts.

The last couple of days have pumped at hb pier. Newport is not picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I've surfed the pier plenty and never seen a day where Nat would not have been one of the standouts.
    Yeah, but what about Nate?

Hey OTT, I'm coming up to SC for a few days, Jan 16-19, hoping to get some waves. It's been a slow fall/early winter in Ventura. Hoping for more Rincon type waves than Silver Strand. I'm staying in town near the wharf. The Lane has always looked amazing to me but I know its just the tip of the iceberg.

I need to pickup a new pair of booties, got a shop rec? Any tips on where to surf (tides, swell dir, etc) much appreciated. Shoot me a PM if that's a better way. Cheers mate.

I’ll get you a PM with more later. If you are by the Wharf, then you can walk out to the Lane in just a few minutes. Which can be cool.

Nothing really like Rincon here, but if there is big enough swell, Pleasure Point is the most similar. Perhaps Sharks Cove if there is enough swell.

Closer to where you are staying are the West Cliff breaks. More like submerged points or ledges. I really like Natural Bridges on the right swell, but you’ve got to pick the right ones. Swift Street on big swells, when the Lane is over powered. And from there into Mitchell’s Cove are several pieces of a point break.

It will likely depend on the swell and weather when you are here. And how juiced you want the surf to be.

As for shops, Cowells is down by your lodging. I usually check out Rip Curl (outlet) or Arrow (xcel) on Mission St. There is also a Oneil downtown, but I’m sure it is pricier.

I’ll take a look at the forecast.

Gonna try to get in the water this week as well and test the ankle. Stoked.

Lost an old friend Friday Morning

Had that board for 15 years or so. Sad. First wave of the morning too

15 Years is like 80 Years in surfboard years.

Ate’em, looks like a good chance of big swell arriving the 15th. Fore runners in the 23-24 second range.

That should set things up nicely for town. With that much period, good energy will wrap well into town.

Will need to wait and see how the weather is. We might get hit with another storm, which messes things up for us pretty well. Still, there are mold and crannies that work with solid swell and storm conditions. OTOH, if the first set of storms move through to our north, you’ll be able to find anything from waist high to TOH+ next Tuesday morning. Depending on how things pan out.

If you’ve got them, and like them, bring some big boards.

Looks like there will be fairly high tide in the mornings, but negative rides in the afternoon. General rule of thumbed is high tides for north of town and low tides in town. The zone between the Hook (41st Ave) and Capitals loves a negative tide. Mostly longboard points, but if we get big enough swell, those spots can zip. Especially Sharks Cove, just east of the Hook. And if you like left bowls, I’ll give you directions to Bombora. No Rincon, but a fun, bowl, if relatively short, left tube.

Was shoulder high and fun in Newport at 28th yesterday. Blackies is also good, but packed.

Looking real good right now in Santa Cruz. New swell. Warm sunny calm. More swell arriving Sunday evening. Gonna be nice out there.

Fun session this morning. Head high pumping beach break with a lot of close outs. Only had a longboard to ride. Kinda spicy

Monday we get a 9.5@18s from 290^. Gonna be ripping up here Monday afternoon as the tide bottoms out. Conditions look good for north of town as well, if you’ve got a gun, and some balls. High tide will be killing most spots I town in the mornings.

Even with some weather moving through winds are forecast to stay light through mid week.

Another local gale swell arrives Tuesday pumping up wave heights 13.5@16s from 285^. Winds look to stay light, maybe some afternoon NW. that is fine. Surf or watch up north, and hit anywhere in town in the afternoon.

This will be big enough to get some of those east side points ripping.

Sharks, past the Hook. And the points east of Privates and into Capitola. Maybe even Bees.

You visitors found a good time to visit. The next two days look real fun every where. Head high to maybe DOH some spots north. Then things get big. No XXL swell coming, but sizable.

Still have not paddles out. Hiking has been so good for my ankle. In fact, about to go put in five miles now.

For those visiting town right now. If the mornings are too big for comfort up north, and tide too high for town, and ya want a nearby hike and see some redwoods, head to the Pogonip.

Park at top of Spring St. the Spring Trail is 1.5mi of Fire Road. For more and better hiking, Lookout Tr to Pogonip Tr up into and across the prairie, kind of toward the building and then left into the hollow. Fern Tr, or up Ohlone if you want something shorter. Fern runs into Spring, left to go to car. Down Rincon and up Lime Kiln for more. At end of Lime Kiln, look into quarry on right before heading down road. Turn right on Rincon, go 40 yards and look for down single track on left. This brings you to Spring. Right in spring to car. As you cross a stream at the top of this trail, there is a koi pond down stream 50 yards worth checking out. Red woods along all these trails, as well as hardwoods, ocean and city views. Anyway, something to do between sessions that is very Santa Cruz.

If you want something bigger, drive 15 mins up 9 to Fall Creek. Those canyons are wonderful.

Oh, and anyone I gave beta too just needs to post up some stoke after you get some.

Ocean looks killer out there today from up the hill. Have not looked at it closely recently. Gonna go walk Wilder Bluff this afternoon with the fam. No surfing there, but a nice look at the conditions. And seals.

West OR buoy 18’@19s.

Not as realizable as a cdip, but those are impressive numbers. The morning will reveal.

SC CDIP buoy showing 10.5'@20s from 295^. My lord this afternoon is going to rock in town. I'd drive up the coast to take a look at Scotts, but I'll use my time to take another hike and get more strength.

Dear diary.....

Hawaii was pumping this past weekend. Believe it or not, there's so spots to get uncrowded waves. Surfed 3 hours with no one else out except my two friends.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TGR Forums mobile app

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

SW winds never really kicked up here. Maybe later SC 11.3@22, pt reyes 21@18 both from 295

Have not got eyes on it, but that must be some impressive seas. The swell profile on the spectral looks like a perfect bell curve

Mavs surfline page:

This report updated Thursday, January 18 at 01:38 PM
    35-50 ft- 7-10 times overhead
    FAIR CONDITIONS
    Last edited by Ottime; 01-18-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Huge spread on Maverick's on Surfline, no word yet about the boat that capsized. Sounds gnarly on a day of that size. I drove north, got some 10' faces breaking in 2' of water at Doran. Should have packed the gun and some balls and gone the extra hour to PA...

http://www.sfgate.com/news/media/Boa...ks-1171397.php

Holy shit, go buy a lottery ticket, dudes.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Yeah, the pics and vids coming out of mavericks look crazy big. The guys in boat were all good apparently. Nazare was going off also.

How the... What the...

What exactly is that guy doing^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Looks like he's on a SUP and hoping to go wide.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TGR Forums mobile app

I lost the vid of this, but he made it over this one no problem and the one right behind it was a monster and he had to dive off. A bunch of guys took that one on the head. Just nuts. Notice his leash is tied to his waist!

Edit, no I think he dove off for this one. I don't think he made it.