Page 181 of 224 FirstFirst ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 5587
    Nothing in Bocas or PV. Yes, PV is sketchy. Surfed a little, but mostly sloppy beach breaks on rental boards. Fun place, but I think I'll try other places in Central before going back to Panama. It rained every fuckin day

Things have finally slowed down around here. Friday was great, surfed the hb cliffs at a foot overhead and fun. I was getting lined up 100 yard lefts. Saturday and Sunday were smaller but still fun, surfed tower 68 in Newport. The water is around 70

Anyone else get some today...?

^^^^some folks love those areas (and they tend to be more of a winter locale), but I much prefer visiting else where when I’ve only a week or so of surf window. Much rather be in the water daily in decent surf over surfing two days of excellent surf out of ten with nothing.

Whitey, Because you care so much (and it really is heartwarming) should have said phone is fucted. But that is being worked on. And he lives down the street, so I’m pretty sure we will cross paths. Or not.

Surf has stayed in the micro fun range all day yesterday. Fun body surfing with my nephews and son. Now headed to the wild kingdom to experience some fun road carnie style of rides.

Pacific looks to have mellowed. While I’d love to return to a fun swell, lack there of makes it much easier to achieve other goals that need to be complete by end of August.

Just got back from a weekend in San Jose del Cabo with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. Turns out she was born a week too late, but lengthy longboard rides in trunks is pretty nice too.

So, I’m heading east for the first time since I started surfing. I probably won’t surf at all unless I visit friends in NYC. Any suggestions for renting a board at rockaways? And where exactly to surf?

Not sure where to rent, but last I heard they have a shop with Torq boards.

92nd St.

It is basically where the jetties end and the pillions begin. It forms a nice little sand point style break at low tide. Steeper beach break style at high tide.

If it gets crowded, on smaller (which it typically is) days you can usually find a Jetty a little east that has a decent left and no one on it.

Subway stop three blocks away. Just may sure you get on the correct A line.

Sweet, thanks OTT. I’ll report back if I make it. In the meantime I will root for a hurricane that does not kill anyone or leave them homeless.

According to a friend, Boarders on Beach 92nd St rents boards, but no Torq. But they do have NSP hard tops. He said kind of pricey, but not sure how much exactly.

He suggested maybe Breakwater, which is further west (?). Worth an internet search and phone call.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you just want to get wet, the NSP are okay longboards from my experience in ME last week.

Torq boards are not awesome (very stiff flex) but offer some decent shapes. I was on. 5.10 ModPod which was fun to ride, if a bit too much foam for head high plus short period beach break.

Btw, A train to Broad Channel and then Shuttle train to Rockaway Park. Far Rockaway goes easy on the island and the first stop is pretty Far East of 92nd

Surf can be decent in either direction, but seems better as you head west toward Jacob Riis (at least that how it was 26 years ago).

Sweet. Most likely I’ll just want to get wet for the novelty of surfing in NYC. I’ve ridden the NSP boards too; kind of crappy but good enough for what I’m looking to do.

Surfed NYC last summer...not exactly sure where we were. Did it for the novelty with my Manhattan and Brooklyn friends, and ended up scoring waist high and offshore for a good 30-45 minutes before the tide killed it haha

If my week in SD had been waist high and offshore I would have been quite happy, but instead of it was ankle high and nearly unrideable. Surfed twice, good to get wet!

Throwing it out there...mini simmons for NE surfing. I want one...do I need one? There are times I think a short, maneuverable, floaty board would be ideal. any one got one?

JorLon, you may have better luck trying to find a good rental board in Atlantic Beach or Long Beach. Both very close to Rockaway

Will you have a car Jorian? Would want one to got to LB. but then you’d have options of swell hits. Reefs and coves out at Montauk, but several hours drive. Jones has a nice right wedge. Handles a westerly Wind better than others. Wind, swell would then dictate best options.

Jtran, not sure where you surfed, but what I like about 92nd St is that it is the least tide dependent. Seems to always be a wave around there as long as there is swell.

Quick Q for you surf folk since I'm completely clueless. I've got a 9' santa cruz charger that's been used a whopping 6 times, and I'm going to try to sell it locally in San Diego (I'm moving back to the east and can't bring it with me). What sort of price point should I be asking for?
    It's one of these suckers: https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/9-ft-0...classic-827760

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Throwing it out there...mini simmons for NE surfing. I want one...do I need one? There are times I think a short, maneuverable, floaty board would be ideal. any one got one?
    I have three. They work, as a quad, but I think the MS was kind of a flash in the pan redo. I surfed a 5'2" before I went on my Mini Simmons journey. It was like a skateboard. Unless you can surf one in the right dimensions and know for sure you want it, I'd feel safer going with a Lost Couch Potato, CI Biscuit, Firewire SP/BP or the like. At least your resale value will be better.
    Last edited by BS720; 08-10-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnBob View Post
    Quick Q for you surf folk since I'm completely clueless. I've got a 9' santa cruz charger that's been used a whopping 6 times, and I'm going to try to sell it locally in San Diego (I'm moving back to the east and can't bring it with me). What sort of price point should I be asking for?
    It's one of these suckers: https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/9-ft-0...classic-827760
    $600. Maybe $700. But you might need to wait for the right buyer. Do you have a leash, bag, fins, etc that did not come with original board? Assuming it usually sells for $900 plus tax.

Look it over carefully in a well lit area. If you can confirm absolutely no dings (pressure and partial cracks included) you may be able to ask more.

If you want to get rid of it quickly, sell it to a mag for $400.

John delivered some fun surf up here. Anyone down south go for a look see? Waist to shoulder high. Maybe a few head high sets. Surfed the egg, but ended up on a few that had me wishing I was on my short board. Only had an hour, but the egg style waves were pretty consistent. Fun day back at home.

Had been grabbing long board waves on the point the previous three days. Those were pretty damn fun too.

Thanks all! I’ll be staying with a friend in jersey city for a couple days week after next. No car but a bike. He’s taking me sailing one day and then likely the other I’ll take a train part way and bike the rest to rockaway. Just surfing for the sake of it. Maybe stop for Spumoni Gardens on the way. Maybe Russian social clubbing on the way back.

You can also surf Jersey. Needs more east in the swell. Does better on a north. Generally. Likes a West Wind.

Rockaway picks up a fair amount of south and southeast considering how ticked in it is. High rises nearby funnel most northerly winds off shore.

John delivered this morning. Finally got a session on the shortboard. Weak shoulder high waves across the outside. Thumps chest high barrels on the inside. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    I have one. They're kind of a fun novelty but they're terrible at turning and it's like riding a skateboard. I much prefer my twin keel fish to my Simmons. They're not terrible but if you're looking to grovel I think there's better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Jtran, not sure where you surfed, but what I like about 92nd St is that it is the least tide dependent. Seems to always be a wave around there as long as there is swell.
    I just looked at a map. We went to Long Beach. Just surfed at one of those jetty's somewhere central

In my five years surfing NY, I only surfed LB once. Always seemed to find more enticing waves else where. If and when I had access to a car, it always seemed worth it to go a little further and get away from the city. If I didn’t have a car, I’d just take the A (leaving me at the Rockaway) and not mess with the LIRR. Lots of options in LB. Each jetty can set up a unique sand bar.

I always loved surfing Gilgo when it was clean. Park the car, walk through the tunnel and step up to empty barrels. Seemed like such a reliable break as long as the winds were straight off shore.

Pumping this morning in SC. Gonna try to get a short board session in while my kid is at the climbing gym. The two hour class window has allowed for some fun long boarding at 2nd Peak, but with this boost in swell,,I want something else.

Still, can’t complain. Surfed 10 Sessions in the ten days I’ve been home. Mostly walking and nose riding on thigh to chest high rollers, but a few sessions on the shortboard as well.

Kid goes back to school next week. Hoping for a week or two break in decent swell, as I’ve got a terrace and a few steps to finish before winter. M

Been a flat August but some crazy fun sessions this July. Took out the 8' foamie and became a total logging convert. There's nothing like slipping down the beach peacefully, not having to pump like a maniac, and just enjoy the miracle of wave riding. Plus I have to say how versatile this Softech board has been. So easy to catch waves with a ton of foam but good rocker in the nose for steeper drops. And the flex of the foam just seems to smooth out the ride. Big fan!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Thump thump. It’s on today. My favorite shitty Point was firing today. Just enough nw combo to give it a bend. Crowded tho. Must have been twenty. Consistent enough and I got non stop waves the second 20 minutes. Fun going really fast.