Page 194 of 224 FirstFirst ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 5588
    The 24th was fun on the north side of the HB pier. It is always nice to get back from 5 days in Mammoth and get fun surf, it is one of the truly great things about California. Not great, but shoulder high with pretty good shape and clean. I was in the water from 1030 to 1230, the last half hour was pretty bumpy. It is amazing how fast the wind can shift, I caught a right around noon, and by the time I had paddled back out things had gone from a slight bump to torn up. I've seen the wind flip before, but this was pretty extreme.

I should add that I saw the lifeguards tending to a whole bunch of people who had gotten stung by rays. There are a ton of rays in HB right now. I'm not sure why, but it was the same way at this time last year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Ortega to Rivera was pretty damn fine today. Paddled out around ten, full on gladiator pits. Paddle out was pretty easy, so I'm guessing it's a matter of time till we hear the helicopters. Merry Christmas you fucks!!

Went out last Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday here in Oregon as I wanted to make the most of a small window surrounded by 3-4x overhead. Sunday and Monday were OH with 2x overhead sets. Took a pretty good beating those days but managed to snag a few super fun large waves. Tuesday was much smallr, shoulder high with the occasional OH set. Caught way more waves on Tuesday than the previous 2 days combined and had a ton of fun. Stoked for the next window, but not looking to promising. Unfortunately Mount Hood Meadows is stuck in low tide right now. Picture of Tuesday on the way out:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191224-163831~2.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	307758

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Glad I am blacked out on my Icon pass as the next few days are going to be epic at the reef breaks.

Name:  surf.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  90.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

For the first time ever! Surfing is nuts, y'all!! OR coast.
    I'm told it was good out there, I mostly paddled around and got worked.

I like surfing, but I've never done it. My sister went to surf school in Portugal. I just watched. Now I want my children to be able to surf, it's very cool. When we go on vacation, I'll take a surf course for them. So, I've heard that Portugal has the steepest waves for surfers.

Quote Originally Posted by teleposeur View Post
    For the first time ever! Surfing is nuts, y'all!! OR coast.
    I'm told it was good out there, I mostly paddled around and got worked.
    If it is good, newbs usually are just getting worked. It is a lot easier to learn in soft, mellow, weak waves. Not too small, but just about 2-3' on the face. Any smaller it is hard to get much consistent push from them. Any bigger, and they can look intimidating to someone not used to paddling and looking up from their belly. Yeah, and it is nuts. Like the good kind of nuts.

It is pumping down here today. I am deciding where to go, then I might sneek in a Baldy session in the afternoon if the spirit moves me. I love having these options.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Surf has been real good lately. I’m still out of the water with my shoulder recovery. Basically taking the winter off. Maybe spring as well. Skiing otoh has been decent. Jealous of when Baldy has snow and solid swells are filling in down there. What a combo.

Big first for me today. Skied in the AM in Vermont, surfed at home this afternoon in MA. Skiing was marginal, but surf was stellar!

Saturday was really fun. I surfed around 34th street, beautiful long lefts, shoulder to head high with the occasional overhead set. It was clean, and the good ones were lining up for 80 to 100 yards. I surfed for about 3 hours before my shoulders gave out.

There is still surf, but I'm very busy this week so I'm not sure if I will be able to get out. Sunday I hit Baldy for some groomers and some softened off-groomed stuff, an hour and 20 minutes to the parking lot. The snow is still holding up, although it could use more. 2020 has been good to Newport so far.

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Big first for me today. Skied in the AM in Vermont, surfed at home this afternoon in MA. Skiing was marginal, but surf was stellar!
    Nice! I might try to do that on Saturday. I am always bummed to miss two weekends in a row at Mammoth, but I got in 4 days, that were actually pretty empty, over MLK and I have been able to get in at least one day at Baldy each weekend. Add in 100 yard lefts and it reminds me why I love this place. I was able to sneak in a fun session on Thursday too. The water is not too bad, 58 to 60.

Man, January sucked here in OR. It was just blown the fuck out. But had 2 rad days last week. Snuck out way early before heading into work and was treated with some firing head high 19s w/ light offshore. Only had 2 hours to surf so paddled for basically every wave I had any chance of making. Luckily my greedy beaver is a wave catching machine so I got a ton of waves.

Also went out on Sunday morning and it was 1.5x overhead with bigger sets. At this size paddling out through the normal channels is a fool's errand but there is a nice rip along some cliffs that works well. It was full on blue bird, super clean at 17s and once again offshore. A lot of times when it's OH at Short Sands, all that's really feasible is just making the drop and maybe a turn or 2. But it was as good as it gets and I got a few bombs on which I was able to link up some legit turns. Wave count was low because each time I got one I'd head back into the beach, walk down to the cliffs, and take the rip out again. But fuck it was a fun day!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Been rehabbing the shoulder and staying out of the water. The shitty snow season here basically means we’ve had decent surf. Although even that has been variable with all the dry wind events recently.

We're looking at the driest February on record for NorCal. There was some swell and far too nice weather this week. 55 air, 50 water, not bad for winter...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSG.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	317925
    On another note, anyone ever hassled by sea lions? I was out at South Beach and there was a big, rowdy group of pinnipeds in the surf near the jette. I watched as several were surfing the waves. I notice 2 spot me and start heading my way from perhaps 200-300 meters. I'm watching as they look at me, dive under swim quickly towards me. Now I'm getting a little nervous, I'm by myself in some bigger close out waves and these two clearly are coming to check me out.
    They get within 20 feet in what seems like a flanking maneuver. One is snorting at me while the other circles in front as I try to paddle towards shore. I'm like 100 yards out and it feels like a mile. Just then a good size wave comes and I ride to shore, I land in thigh deep water and keep running up the beach, visions of being chased onshore...
    Anyway, just curious how aggressive they can be, they were everywhere in the surf at all the waves. There was some feeding frenzy going on as the birds were circling and dive bombing as well. My worry has usually been directed to the alpha fish in the lineup here, should I reconsider??

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    On another note, anyone ever hassled by sea lions?
    Yeah, my kid got taken out at the knees about 2 weeks ago west of SC. Surfed a wave in and was standing just about to paddle back out and bang! Taken out. He caught whitewater back to the beach asap. Pretty sketchy. They have a name for the sea lion...El Hefe. He has a routine and now it includes taking surfers out.

North of the Golden Gate was chest high and peeling today, nice consolation prize for how terrible the snow has been.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I was chased out by an elephant seal a decade ago. Make seam straight at me from 100m. I watched transfixed. He came within 10 feet, and pulled himself out of the water from the waist (or mid section). I looked up and paddles for shore. Fuck that.

Sea Lions carry a nasty mouth bacteria. Don’t get bit.

Anyone else get some today...?

yeah fuck them

I always worried about elephant seals and sea lions more than sharks

been chased by both
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I surfed the south HB pier today, from 11 to around 1230. It was shoulder high, with the occasional head high set. It was somewhat walled, but if you picked out the right corner they were lots of fun. I paddled out around tower 5 and the rip was pretty nuts there, you would have to constantly paddle in to avoid getting dragged out. There was also a current sucking up towards the pier. I ended up getting out and walking down past tower 5 three times. As usual the peaks closest to the pier are the best, and the most crowded.

There are apparently a fair number of sting rays in the water around HB right now.

Couple of fun ones today...

Name:	IMG_7263.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	448.9 KB 
ID:	320990
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Name:	Image1584585049.332654.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	843.8 KB 
ID:	321030
    Cubicle Surf in Bend
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Nice shots guys!

PW7 that is a beautiful left.

We were planning to be in Mammoth from the 21st to the 29th. Obviously plans have changed. Baldy is trying to stay open for now, but I'm really hoping for waves. It looks like there should be waves next week. This morning things blew out pretty fast.

EDIT:

Things cleaned up, and I got in a pretty good mid-day session. I surfed 36th, but had to get out a bunch of times to walk walk, the south to north drift was nuts. Nothing great, but worth paddling out.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 03-19-2020 at 05:16 PM.

I was over on Unofficial Networks and saw some crazy footage of a surfer being shot at in Costa Rica by the cops for not obeying the lockdown. Here's the link below if you haven't seen it.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...hot-at-surfer/

Here's what"s interesting. There's an instagram post after it with some dude claiming to be the guy that got shot at. Check out his name.

Name:	White king salmon.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	323149
    Sound familiar or possibly ring a bell? What are the odds that's the D-bag that's always trolling the forum talking shit to everyone that goes by "White King Salmon"? I don't know if it is, and I'm glad he's not dead but that would be some epic karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I was over on Unofficial Networks and saw some crazy footage of a surfer being shot at in Costa Rica by the cops for not obeying the lockdown. Here's the link below if you haven't seen it.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...hot-at-surfer/

Here's what"s interesting. There's an instagram post after it with some dude claiming to be the guy that got shot at. Check out his name.

Name:	White king salmon.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	323149
    Sound familiar or possibly ring a bell? What are the odds that's the D-bag that's always trolling the forum talking shit to everyone that goes by "White King Salmon"? I don't know if it is, and I'm glad he's not dead but that would be some epic karma.
    Classic!