Page 178 of 224 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 5588
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    Cross post from the fishing forum. Its very easy to miss spotting fish when these waves are pumping. Diego Garcia, BIOT. There is a strict NO Surfing policy on the island. Probably a good thing since nobody here that I know of could hack this swell. Sharky and reefy too. There is an underground group that rides, but mostly on inside breaks. I should be back on my magic model in about 2 months.
    Attachment 233516
    Back to the island or back on your board?

I’ve been plagued by injury this year. Finally got my ankle workin and threw out my back. Almost. Worked that knot out over a week and got enough time to move to the shortboard. Surfed 3 days, took a day break, and then went back out. Fantastic conditions. South sets every 7-10 minutes. Hair over head and rifling lefts and only two guys along the entire line up.

Paddled our and never even waited for a wave. Just came right to me. Nice two foot OH peak. On my third turn I some how bruised my left rib(s) coming off my top turn. Super weird. No impact. Just getting old.

Ended staying out an hour but learned on my third wave that any off the top had to be mellow and not require me to compress.

Resting it now. Seems pretty mild, but man, just want to be healthy.

Gonna ski corn Wednesday. That should fix it up fine.

Doesn't look like much swell on the way in sc this weekend. Gonna be riding beach cruisers around town today I think, then looking forward to catching the NBA games somewhere tonight.

Ott if you're around and want to grab a drink dm me! I owe you one

Sent from my SM-G965U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Doesn't look like much swell on the way in sc this weekend. Gonna be riding beach cruisers around town today I think, then looking forward to catching the NBA games somewhere tonight.

I don't think I've ever been there without at least a waist high swell. Pretty sure you can catch a wave 365 days a year in SC...only exception would be that it's too big...even then you could find a spot at the right tide.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post

Around but busy. My kids bday and bday party are this Sunday. And I’m the caterer, and piñata maker. Piñata done, food in process. When are you here until?

As for surf, if you really want some, Moss Landing or up north in the morning. You could try Pleasure in the morning, but it won’t be much. But yeah, kind of tough out there right now. Only getting smaller, with basically nothing Sun/Mom.

Heard a rumor more nw was a week out or so.

Here through Monday PM. Getting bikes at the factory this morning so I'm sure we'll have a blast. Hit up storrs winery yesterday. Great wines. Also happy hour at hulas, Betty burgers, checked the surf at pleasure point, and rode cruisers around town all afternoon. Rad

Yawn...... saw some boards on a roof rack here on the south coast of Crete greece

anybody watch that autonomous contest from the wave tank in AZ this weekend? looked like I thought it would
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

The intert3tz tells me there's a bioluminescent red tide in San Diego. I hope peeps get out and play with it.

Maybe in a kayak. While wearing nose and ear plugs. And goggles. And my mouth duct taped shut. Red tide sickness is bad enough. Now it glows? Fuck that shit.

Oh, and pinkwhite. Thanks for keeping us up to speed on your travels. We all care.

You've never been in it? It's pretty amazing! I got sick several times from water pollution living in San Diego, but never related to the red tide. Once saw a grunion run/orgy during during the night. That was different. Friends also used to love the night dive during the red tides.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/red-ti...-diego-beaches

Anyone else get some today...?

Maybe it is a different red than we get up here. I’ve been in it twice and got all fucked in the nasal zone soon after. Each time. Maybe coincidence, but I won’t chance that again. When ever is see a bloom, I avoid it like the plague.

Edit: two plus decades ago I paddled in some bioluminescent something in Maine. But not during a red tide event. You could see twenty feet to the bottom, until the surface began to glow. It was the type you needed to disturb (paddling, breaking waves, water pushing up Jetty rocks). That shit was really cool.

So Santa Cruz was awesome.

Fri: hung out on the eastside in the morning, burgers at Betty's, cruiser bikes into downtown, SC coffee, happy hour at the tiki bar, wine tasting at Storry Winery. Food highlight: Los Pericos

Sat: was up early so drove up the coast before anyone else was up that way. Walked around shark fin area, waddell beach. Down to SC bikes around 930 for our demos. Up EMT, tool around upper campus, down mailboxes, up to Wild Boar/Old Cabin intersection, then down from there. Post-ride tacos at SC tacos, beer at Humble Sea, coffee at Verve. Dinner at Charlie Hong Kong

Sun: Biked over to the eastside farmer's market to check it out and get coffee, then breakfast in Felton at Rockys, then over Felton Empire Grade to Beauregard Vineyards in Bonny Doon. Down to the Abalone farm in Davenport for some oysters, then back into town for a stroll around Steamer, and hangout on the beach just to the west. Watched the Jazz game at 99 bottles, then dinner at Charlie Hong Kong again

Mon: Bike rentals again - up campus bike path, then up the trail in the canyon through campus (so rad), tooled around up top, then down to Highway 9, back up to upper campus, then over to wilder and down old cabin > wild board > down. Los Pericos for lunch. Showered up, then headed to the airport.

I didn't end up surfing as the swell in town didn't seem worth the hassle and $$ to rent a wetsuit and board, and then in SD ended up being too busy visiting friends and working to get out. Surf looked pretty good in SD though, probably 4-5 Wed/Thurs, but S winds were kind of a killer.

Return trip to SC in October for my bday definitely in the cards. Thanks for the tips everyone

Just got back from 10-days on Oahu. Got in 4-days of surfing while I was there. Nothing special as I’m simply a novice, but rode some nice waves at White Plains. Felt great to get out there regardless of the smallish waves. Already planning the fall trip and going to try to get in more surfing on that one, made some great friends this trip while out catching waves, so should be easier to find people to surf with.

^^^get after it.

Jtran, glad you had a good trip up here. Maybe on your return trip I’ll get out in the water with ya.

Surf is back. Rib is healed and recovering from a pretty nasty head cold. Good to get back in the water yesterday. Combo swell most of this week, with that south building nicely. Another day of calm to S flow should be fun today. Then the NW Wind machine looks like it will turn back on keeping us on points behind headlands.

Stoked to be back in the water. Been a long road from injury to craving to get in. But I’m back.

Sometimes you get really lucky.

I woke up early this morning to work. I figured I could catch a late morning session on the rising tide. I paddled out at 945 to peaky surf at 56th street. There were a bunch of different peaks working between 56th and 61st, so it was not just the peak off the jetty. It was head high and fun on the sets, with plenty of chest and shoulder high waves between sets. There was a slight bump on it, but the wind pretty much held off. I surfed for 2.5 hours, the crowd was pretty light, at most 8 people between 56 and 61 which is nothing for Newport, and you could pretty much find a peak to yourself. Crowds this light are very rare on a head high day in Newport, even at this time. I have no idea how many waves I caught, with the light crowd people were actually giving each other waves, hooting everyone in. It is a shame it can't always be like that. It was the best session I have had in months, maybe since last fall considering how bad winter was. It was really lined up on the right ones, and there were even a few barrels to be had for those savvy enough to sniff them out. I really wish surfing could always be like this. Fun waves, great vibes in the lineup and smiles all around. I've got code to write and data to analyze, so it could be a late night, but today was amazing. I really hope the rest of you guys get some of this.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Carbon copy up here. Really fun sessions. Plenty of stoked people. Friendly vibe in the line ups. Hell, if it is May, head high and clean on the open coast, how can you not have a big fat smile on your face?

Wind came up but still managed to have fun. Friday at Sharks on the low with the log was a high speed, hollow nose ride fest. Good times. Next week looks good. One of the better springs in memory.

Nose ride tubeso huh jaja.... pavones going off lately..surf house full... I'm chilling in loutro,crete

Fun surf in Newport this weekend.

Saturday I went out mid-morning at 56th. Not epic, but it was clean and peaky and chest high +. The crowd was nicely spread out. Sunday I got it late morning as the tide was coming up and it was fun again. It was head high on the sets and consistent. Both days the crowd was pretty spread out, very light for a weekend with fun waves. I might be able to get an evening session in today.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Tonight was pretty fun at Latigo, west of Malibu. OH sets, 20 guys at 6pm, but by 7 it was only 8 of us. Chilly west wind. Brrr. Yeah, us So Cal people are wimps! Nice to be out. Been skiing and doing kid stuff I haven't surfed much this year.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Firing up here the past few days. Well OH this morning. Chilly. Water especially with all the spring upwelling. Lots of life in the water. Getting shit done this afternoon, so I can get back out tomorrow.

pumping south today in and around SB....areas not blocked by the islands.

Yeah. Insane today. Might be the best day of summer. Super consistent. Head high to a few feet overhead. Glassy as fuck. Surfed from 9:30-12:45. Was tired but was still getting great waves. Last wave in just roped. Only got out because I had to get some shit done before picking my kid up from school. What a great day. Word it was still firing at 6pm. People just stoked everywhere.

Still great today. More
    Combo now. S has dropped a bit in period and height. A little less of a race course, a bit more face, but easier to get barreled. Still very fun. About 7 guys out sharing two take off zones. Glass all day. Kind of wish I sent my kid to after school drop in. Still good out there. What a early season swell.