Page 193 of 224 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 5587
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Okay. I see what you are doing there. You are being positive.

Definitely being positive. I get what you are saying about November where you are, for us it is different. November is good, but it is not all THAT good, our surf does not vary as much from season to season as yours does. I went to school at UCSB, and basically all summer you were either surfing thigh high windswell, which can be fun on a funshape, or going to Ventura or Jalama or northern Malibu. It simply did not get over head high in the summer in SB unless it was a seriously freak occurrence. I know you guys get lots of surf in the summer, but from what I understand you get more in the fall and winter. There are plenty of years where Jully is better than November down here, and that is not surprising. For you guys that would be really weird.

The Orange County area is incredibly consistent. Consistently mediocre some might say, and they are right, but you really can surf almost every day here. The next couple of days are dead flat, and it has been a very consistent all summer and fall. In fact, I have grown used to being able to get chest high+ days whenever I want them. With the next couple of days being flat, being able to go out and have fun sounds good. It won't be epic, I was not expecting that, but I just want to be able to go out and surf fun waves. Like I said, I am not going to KILL myself to get a full day Trestles session on Friday, which I would if a big SW was coming and it was going to be 4-6, but it will be nice to get out.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I was feeling positive. Things were looking up. I don't care at al about S swells this time of year. This next one will be fun enough in town, but I want the juice. W-N swells are just way more powerful, consistent and raw compared to the S-SW. I think we are just a bit closer, but way more exposed to the NW. Fall up here can be prime, as swells become more raw, on average, through winter. Drought years were great. That RRR allowed us to get large swells with really clean, organized conditions. Huge swells were more rare in those years, but consistent large, clean swells were common. I remember way too may 12-15' plus crisp days, with a few of the best 20' days of my life. And it was 70-80F to boot.

Got in a midday session at south hb pier today. Shoulder high+ with a bit of wind bump, but some good shape. I had a few REALLY fun ones. The biggest issue was that the current was insane. You would get in around tower 5 and just get dragged north towards the pier. After a little while I just stopped fighting it, I would just get back out when I got close to the pier and run back to tower 5. I think I did 3-4 of those loops.

The water is still nice, I wore a spring.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

October and November have been really fun for me in Ory'gon. We've had consistent shoulder to head + and a steady dose of offshore. Sunday in Pac City was particularly good. Loving the 6'4" Greedy Beaver I picked up in September.

Today.

Wednesday was also pretty killer. But today was solid. Some real beasts out there at the slab. Not sure how much more that reef could have handled with the angle. Only 3-4’ OH, so not huge, but they were thick and fast.

Scotts looked really fun as well, but being part of a crowd of 3-5 seemed way better than joining the 30+ stretch out along the Scotts peak zone.

Tomorrow has promise.

Better news is that the NPAC is open for business.

https://youtu.be/Hhs0l9_2byU FKNA!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

That is insane as that things unloads. And I thought it felt solid yesterday.

It ended up being another fun, but not epic weekend here.

I surfed both Saturday and Sunday south of the HB pier. 2.5 hour sessions both times, in the water between 930 and 10. It was a bit soft, but still shoulder high and fun when they would line up. By mid-day the high tide was killing it, but it was still a blast before that. The crowd was reasonably spread out, which was nice. I have finally thrown in the towel on the spring suit, I wore my 3/2 this weekend.

On Sunday I actually stepped on a singray, or brushed up against one. I don't think the barb went in, but there is a mark and it was a bit itchy yesterday. That is my first time for that. I heard from people on the beach that a bunch of people got stung, so be aware of that if you are in HB.

As they say in South Park, it's on.

Name:  Screenshot_20191118-200314.jpeg
Views: 384
Size:  43.3 KB

You must be north of Point Conception as down in San Diego, it has been the bleakest for the last 2 months I can remember. And today looked waist high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surf.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	303474
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

DOH plus, crisp and clean up here at west facing breaks. Better spots in are well OH from what I’ve been told. Some of this must be able to filter in down there.

Yesterday afternoon and this morning were fucking fabulous. Wu power.

Swell showed up this morning with a lot more to it than expected. The point was a huge mess with a run blocking off roads and taking over all the parking at the fairgrounds. So tons of people on the boardwalk but hardly any surfers first thing due to the chaos.

Cue the solid sets reeling down the point. High tide and sideshore/offshore winds made it a bit wild but wow the size and quality were there like I havent seen since last winter. It was supposed to show up around chest high, but sets were plentiful and well overhead. Not a longboard day.

Paddled into a gem, big clean wall racing down the line. Sunrise is straight in my face so I keep getting blinded, like faceshots on snow, then seeing my line for a moment. It started getting real steep and I wanted to high line it past the section but with the sun I couldn't tell, freaked that it was gonna pitch and throw me, and hooked off the back to safety. Still not sure that was the right call, but wow it felt good to have decisions like that to make again.

Rincon was nice this past week. Enough swell at the right angle to get it going, but not enough to entice every last soul in the region.

Stoked on surfing! Stay active Pacific!

Fuck, fuck, fuck. I just saw a sticky in the padded room where HotTate has succumbed to rectal cancer. I enjoyed his content, and his positive attitude. FKNA.

I know So Cal doesn't deliver on surf like up north, but when October through early December look like this, it is tough to complain. I hope HT caught it early.

Name:	beach.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	303578
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    You must be north of Point Conception as down in San Diego, it has been the bleakest for the last 2 months I can remember. And today looked waist high.

Name:	surf.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	303474
    Oh yeah, I'm north of Point Conception...way North up in Oregon. Last Thursday was great, super clean midsized waves. But by the weekend it just became a mess if white water mostly. A friend tried surfing Saturday but reported he couldn't make it out the back....and dude recently ran a 2h 50m marathon. Hoping to get a pre-turkey session in this week.

Friday here was epic proportions of sickness. Surf ranges from OH to DOH and crisp. Such a sick afternoon session. Especially considering we had south winds, rib chop and wind swell before noon.

Saturday and Sunday were super fun, but not as crisp and perfect as Friday afternoon. Still got some real bombs the past few days.

I love this area. Town liked fun but we have such good breaks for the juice just west and north of town that get hit straight with the power.

I’ve been surfing a ledge reef that kind of loses its channel at this size. It just explodes across the reef. Loving that I’m still in the game at my late age.

Finally got some
    Beat downs on Sunday. After an hour on my 6’7” pin tail mini mini gun, I decided to switch it up with the performance 6’0”. Got some killer waves on that small board. Also took some of my heaviest beat downs so far this season. Ended up slicing the back of my wrist across the reef after stumbling on a bomb, landing on the face, sliding across it right next to my board just as the lip crushed me down and under into the jet propeller (it was more than a washing machine) pushing me into and dragging me along the reef. Ended up with two pin hole dings to boot. Recovered, got out the sort of channel and saw my slice. Paddles back into the reef to catch a smaller on in. Called it a day.

NW kick back up today bringing the festivities back into town.

Love love love this season.

Love the feeling of sitting on a cliff, suiting up and wondering if I’ve got the balls on that given day to make the most out of the power. Love being just a little scared.

Man the left I got coming I. Saturday was ducking all time for that reef. Best left in years. DOH, full barrel coming across the reef, and then peeled hard for 75 yards. So fast and fun.

Looking out the window, fog just filled into town. Wtf. If

Friday here was epic proportions of sickness. Surf ranges from OH to DOH and crisp. Such a sick afternoon session. Especially considering we had south winds, rib chop and wind swell before noon.

Saturday and Sunday were super fun, but not as crisp and perfect as Friday afternoon. Still got some real bombs the past few days.

I love this area. Town liked fun but we have such good breaks for the juice just west and north of town that get hit straight with the power.

I’ve been surfing a ledge reef that kind of loses its channel at this size. It just explodes across the reef. Loving that I’m still in the game at my late age.

Finally got some
    Beat downs on Sunday. After an hour on my 6’7” pin tail mini mini gun, I decided to switch it up with the performance 6’0”. Got some killer waves on that small board. Also took some of my heaviest beat downs so far this season. Ended up slicing the back of my wrist across the reef after stumbling on a bomb, landing on the face, sliding across it right next to my board just as the lip crushed me down and under into the jet propeller (it was more than a washing machine) pushing me into and dragging me along the reef. Ended up with two pin hole dings to boot. Recovered, got out the sort of channel and saw my slice. Paddles back into the reef to catch a smaller on in. Called it a day.

NW kick back up today bringing the festivities back into town.

Love love love this season.

Love the feeling of sitting on a cliff, suiting up and wondering if I’ve got the balls on that given day to make the most out of the power. Love being just a little scared.

Man the left I got coming I. Saturday was ducking all time for that reef. Best left in years. DOH, full barrel coming across the reef, and then peeled hard for 75 yards. So fast and fun.

Looking out the window, fog just filled into town. Wtf. If
    FKNA!

Dislocated my shoulder doing yard work. Popped back in, but think I’m out for a bit. Bummer as that sea surface has looked really nice the past two days. Hopefully I can back at it after a weeks rest. Or maybe it is just ski season for me now.

Man, you have to wonder if your shoulder was a wee bit tweaked from surfing and the yard work was the tipping point.

^^^^ Yup, confused as to what yard work you were doing to dislocate a shoulder. It must of been fucked already, but I hope you heal up quick.

I was transporting a full 5 gallon bucket of water. Slipped on a terrace and fell with that weight in my hand.

Feeling better already. But not surfing better. Might have been a partial dislocation, as it popped back in on its own after 10 minutes and with me just aligning it right while sitting in the passenger seat on her way to urgent care. But holy fuck that thing hurt for those ten minutes.

Now just sore and weak as fuck. I see the ortho Thursday for further prognoses.

you're fucked.... it will keep popping out till you have surgery.

I was transporting a full 5 gallon bucket of water. Slipped on a terrace and fell with that weight in my hand.

Feeling better already. But not surfing better. Might have been a partial dislocation, as it popped back in on its own after 10 minutes and with me just aligning it right while sitting in the passenger seat on her way to urgent care. But holy fuck that thing hurt for those ten minutes.

Now just sore and weak as fuck. I see the ortho Thursday for further prognoses.
    Dang mang. Good luck with that.

First place I went yesterday was rough. Tons of white water. Paddled most of the day for like 5 waces. Second place I went though was pristine. Lots of the waves were even better than this one.

Name:  IMG_20191206_221616_795.jpeg
Views: 388
Size:  69.0 KB

That looks nice.

Doc says I’m good to go. Cleared to surf and ski. Likely won’t pop back out due to my age. Sometimes being old is good.

Stormy right now. I’ll wait for things to clean up. Maybe Tuesday. And get back in the water.

At least the snow has piled up and I can go ski.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Dang mang. Good luck with that.

First place I went yesterday was rough. Tons of white water. Paddled most of the day for like 5 waces. Second place I went though was pristine. Lots of the waves were even better than this one.

Name:  IMG_20191206_221616_795.jpeg
Views: 388
Size:  69.0 KB

Nice shot!

It was pumping down here. I surfed between tower 28 and tower 32. It was consistently shoulder high +, with some head high to slightly overhead sets. I surfed from 11 to 130. It was clean, with long lefts, absolutely beautiful. The funny thing was that I checked the afternoon report on Surfline and it said 2-3+ for the lower jetties in Newport! That was odd, I guess they did not wait to see a set.

I will say with Surfline that the lower jetties cam in Newport always makes it look smaller than it is. If it looks chest high, it is probably close to head high. They also consistently underestimate the size for that zone, which is strange considering they are giving a report based on a visual inspection, not the camera. If any of you guys are in this area and checking the cams keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 12-08-2019 at 09:11 AM.