Page 192 of 224 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 5587
    This summer just keeps going. The water is around 73 in Newport right now.

Saturday I went down to Trestles, to surf the Cottons/Barbedwires area. I got there as the tide was going down. The sets were about head high and really fun, I lined up a beautiful 100 yard left on my second wave, but it was a bit inconsistent. The non-set waves were okay, but a bit soft. Still, I got a couple of really fun lefts. I had to leave after an hour, as a cop told my wife that the rules regarding dogs had changed at Cottons, they were no longer allowed. They have always been allowed around the Orange County line, but I guess they changed that. I see dogs there all the time, but none the less she motioned for me to come in and we had to go. Although it was inconsistent it was REALLY fun on the good ones, and glassy for 1230. It takes an hour from my house to actually getting in the water to surf the Cottons area, so it sucks to only get an hour in the water.

Sunday I surfed from around 830 to 1030 at tower 71 in Newport. It ended up being a ton more fun than I thought it would be, chest high with the occasional shoulder high set, but consistent little A-frame peaks with nice shoulders. It was one of those sessions where you just dial in wave after wave because it is so consistent. Today I did an earlier session, 7 to 815, and it was more of the same, lots of fun. The water was VERY warm for 7 am, I trunked it with no issues. The water temps this summer have been great.

I will be very busy over the next few days, it looks like we might have something coming this weekend. I will try to get a quick dawn patrol in tomorrow if it looks good.

What a summer it has been. Not a ton of epic but LOTS of good, and surfable almost every day.

I am not the greatest expert on Newport sand bars, but I will say that things seem to have changed. The 56th street jetty still gets really fun, but there were always good peaks going up to tower 65 in the past. Now that is often not the case, unless you time the tide just right it gets very walled in that zone. The area from 48th to 56th does not seem to be as good as it used to be either. The lower jetties, 36th, 32nd and 28th, have good shape, but don't pick up as much summer swell. They can be really fun if it is overhead and walled from 44th to 65th. The sandbars from tower 68 to tower 74 are still good and very consistent. I don't like to surf 74, too close to the river, but the 68 to 71 zone has been fun all summer. It can get pretty heavy when it is a couple of feet overhead, at that point I usually head to 36th or 32nd. I don't know why the sand bars seem to have changed in some areas, but I have talked to other people who notice it too. It is a problem because it causes areas like the jetty at 56th to be even more crowded than usual.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^^im impressed swell got in there. Ann is pretty tucked away from the south. Was it NE swell from the wrap around?
    more or less. we never get much with the southerly storms, unless its a distant long period swell. mostly best w ENE swell. did you surf down this way back in the day?

Cold and windy up here. And slugs infesting everywhere.
    Slugs don't start for another week. And most are cali natives unlike you eh? So who's infesting who?

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    This summer just keeps going. The water is around 73 in Newport right now.

Saturday I went down to Trestles, to surf the Cottons/Barbedwires area. I got there as the tide was going down. The sets were about head high and really fun, I lined up a beautiful 100 yard left on my second wave, but it was a bit inconsistent. The non-set waves were okay, but a bit soft. Still, I got a couple of really fun lefts. I had to leave after an hour, as a cop told my wife that the rules regarding dogs had changed at Cottons, they were no longer allowed. They have always been allowed around the Orange County line, but I guess they changed that. I see dogs there all the time, but none the less she motioned for me to come in and we had to go. Although it was inconsistent it was REALLY fun on the good ones, and glassy for 1230. It takes an hour from my house to actually getting in the water to surf the Cottons area, so it sucks to only get an hour in the water.

Sunday I surfed from around 830 to 1030 at tower 71 in Newport. It ended up being a ton more fun than I thought it would be, chest high with the occasional shoulder high set, but consistent little A-frame peaks with nice shoulders. It was one of those sessions where you just dial in wave after wave because it is so consistent. Today I did an earlier session, 7 to 815, and it was more of the same, lots of fun. The water was VERY warm for 7 am, I trunked it with no issues. The water temps this summer have been great.

I will be very busy over the next few days, it looks like we might have something coming this weekend. I will try to get a quick dawn patrol in tomorrow if it looks good.

What a summer it has been. Not a ton of epic but LOTS of good, and surfable almost every day.

I am not the greatest expert on Newport sand bars, but I will say that things seem to have changed. The 56th street jetty still gets really fun, but there were always good peaks going up to tower 65 in the past. Now that is often not the case, unless you time the tide just right it gets very walled in that zone. The area from 48th to 56th does not seem to be as good as it used to be either. The lower jetties, 36th, 32nd and 28th, have good shape, but don't pick up as much summer swell. They can be really fun if it is overhead and walled from 44th to 65th. The sandbars from tower 68 to tower 74 are still good and very consistent. I don't like to surf 74, too close to the river, but the 68 to 71 zone has been fun all summer. It can get pretty heavy when it is a couple of feet overhead, at that point I usually head to 36th or 32nd. I don't know why the sand bars seem to have changed in some areas, but I have talked to other people who notice it too. It is a problem because it causes areas like the jetty at 56th to be even more crowded than usual.
    It has been a really fun summer.

And sand, yeah. I see that same sort of thing around here. Spots go through cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    more or less. we never get much with the southerly storms, unless its a distant long period swell. mostly best w ENE swell. did you surf down this way back in the day?
    Rarely, but on a few different days. Don't really recall at all where I was, as a friend of friend who was local brought us around the two times.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Slugs don't start for another week. And most are cali natives unlike you eh? So who's infesting who?
    Around these parts, growing up south of Moss Landing is way worse than someone showing up from the east coast. This isn't Colorado. Actually showing up from NY/NE was kind of a plus, which is good for your offspring. As long as he his not hanging with some SoCal folks.

Anyway, they show up before school starts. At least some of them do. It might just have been an uptick due to finals being over between summer and fall quarter. Its okay tho. Winds backed off and other spots opened up.

After taking about a year off to let my shoulders heal, I am now pain free and ready to jump back into the pool. My conditioning sucks and I am fat, so I went and bought a new to me 9'3" yesterday to help me get into a few waves. Surf cams look small today and the forecast looks bleak for a bit. Sigh...
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Been surf all week up here. Head high and fun. Come visit. Just bring some rubber.

There is swell lined up down here for weeks starting Sunday, & there has been swell around for weeks prior to these couple of days of small surf this week....no rubber needed either 🤪

The south has been delivering and this next run sure looks like a treat. We also see a good bump in NW wind Swell next week. Winds permitting, everything will be going. And we’ve made the turn into autumn about a week ago. Clear, calm mornings stretching out into midday. Still an afternoon wind, but that will be gone soon.

It's going to be interesting with this one we have coming. 15 sec period? It's been building all day but the wind is no bueno.

Is that one from Lorenzo? 15s is pretty solid for y’all. Find wind shelter. Ground swell will wraps its way in almost anywhere.

More utility head high ish south swell and nw windswell. All week. Waiting for fall to arrive again.

Yeah, looks like the winds are changing this afternoon. It's not very good right now. Tomorrow AM is due west, so hopefully that will work out.

Paddled out in Davenport last week. First time in the Pacific for me. SC is so nice. So many breaks to explore. I know when it's good there it's a shitshow everywhere, but when it's 'normal' its a great place to be. Not too crowded west of town. My son took a fin to the foot for five stiches last week over at Pleasure Point where he 'never' surfs. Kinda funny that the vid of his wipeout was caught on surfline by one of his buds.

Ouch. That’s sucks.

This place is the best when it is just okay.

First NW pulse is showing right now. 5-7@13. If winds stay light, could be real good in the morning around Davenport. Haven’t surfed since Wednesday, so I’m itiching.

Solid NW swell today offers up the Scotts opener. Still waiting for the ledge. One of these mornings as the swell settled. Looks good for the next few days.

Surfed between towers 68 and 74 today in Newport. Chest high and fun, more rights because of the NW in the water. A strong southward drift in the water, I had to get out a couple of times and walk back up. Some lulls, but still plenty of peaks to be had. The water has cooled, but it is still in the mid-60's, so I'm comfortable in a spring suit. The zone from 71 to 74 has better shape than the 65-71 zone right now. The best peaks are right in front of the rivermouth, but I prefer to avoid those due to crowds and pollution. It has been a fun fall down here, after a fun summer. Tomorrow I might have to head down to Trestles.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Opening Day. The ledge delivered. Solid, well overhead slabs. Could never quite find the barrel, but it was fast today for the most part and you wanted to be trucking. Some of the best waves I’ve had since last winter. For sure. So excited to get the fall run started.

Bam bam bam. Fun morning out there.

Bam bam bam. Fun morning out there.
    Nice! Just spoke with my kid and he said it's been super fun. And I'm of course asking about his foot and his reply is - only going every other session...so it's fine!

I missed the bump in the swell this weekend but will be in SC this week, San Diego in 2 weeks, and Baja for November....Stoked!!

Fun midday session yesterday in Newport. I surfed around 71, it was about head high and punchy. Steep, some closeouts, but closeout barrels to be had. It was clean and peaky in the middle of the day. I even got a nice coverup for a couple of seconds, I love seeing the roof lineup over my head. Of course I got pinched, and slammed pretty hard, but it was fun. Barrels, even a short, closeout variety, are rare for me. I had a few other really fun ones, steep and zippy walls, but I got my ass handed to me a few times.

Today I was too busy. I might get a session in tomorrow. It looks REALLY good down at Trestles on the cams, but I just don't have the time. It is days like this when I wish it was still summer to I could head down for an evening session.

Got in an evening session today at tower 71. In the water from around 5 to about 625. Glassy, and REALLY fun. It looked walled, the tide was super high, but there were fun inside walls that ended up standing up. I got some really nice lined up lefts. A sneaker session, much more fun than I expected. I thought it would end up being too walled. Sometimes you just have to paddle out, several of the lefts I got REALLY ran down the beach when I expected a closeout.

Been a good run the past two weeks up here. Finally dropped below head high on Thursday. The open ocean beaches still might be hitting head high. Barely.

Today looks small. Not much showing for the next few days leaving the ocean looking more like July than November.

We really need that NPAC to wind up. Makes me concerned for snow as well.

Hit up south hb pier the last two days from around 10-1230.

Saturday was actually really fun. There was a contest by the pier, so the peaks a bit further south were a bit more crowded than usual. Still, it was more fun than I expected. It was shoulder high+ and very clean, but a bit soft and inconsistent. Having said that, they were really lining up nicely on the inside. You would take off, do a cut back, then it would really line up nicely on the inside. It ended up being a blast, much more fun than I thought it would be. There was lots of current, I got out several times to walk south to tower 9, but that was fine.

Today was smaller, down to about waist high + with some stomach high sets. Still, it was very clean and the shape was good. I took out the 6'8" egg shape and was very glad I did. The extra volume helped quite a bit, you could get in early and just glide. The shortboarders out were either rippers or frustrated. The longboarders seemed to be having a good time. HB can be a really fun funshape/longboad wave on days like this, with some volume you can get in early and enjoy the glide as it lines up on the inside. Today was far more fun than I expected, I almost passed and I'm glad I didn't.

The next couple of days will be pretty small, but near the end of the week things should pick up. I will be busy, I'm going to try to get a bit extra done so that I have extra time for the end of the week, when it should pick back up.

I have been wearing a spring suit. The water here is still in the mid-60's. It probably be full suit time very soon, but you have to enjoy wearing a spring suit.

Full suit time here. Always. With the upwelling a few weeks back we dropped into the low 50s. Warmed back up to mid-upper 50s, so it is almost tropical now.

Where do you see swell coming from later in the week? I see a minimal WNW Friday; nothin at all to get excited about. And almost no SW; like maybe a few tracers. What am I missing?

The current outlook for surf and snow has me refocusing on heavy labor jobs I have on the property. I was thinking about opening a 10 day project this morning.

Full suit time here. Always. With the upwelling a few weeks back we dropped into the low 50s. Warmed back up to mid-upper 50s, so it is almost tropical now.

Where do you see swell coming from later in the week? I see a minimal WNW Friday; nothin at all to get excited about. And almost no SW; like maybe a few tracers. What am I missing?

The current outlook for surf and snow has me refocusing on heavy labor jobs I have on the property. I was thinking about opening a 10 day project this morning.
    They have downgraded it a bit since Saturday evening. At that point they were saying 3-4+, no downgraded to 2-3+, occasional 4. I was not saying it was going to pump, but the next few days down here are supposed to be 1-2 or so, so there really won't be much until Thursday. It's not going to pump, but at least it should be chest high. Sometimes the chest-shoulder days here are really great in the fall if the peaks are spread out and the shape is good. So yeah, it was not going to be anything big, just enough to maybe get some good, shoulder high waves. I don't see anything head high around here until next Tuesday. But yeah, 2-4 with good shape could be fun on Friday morning, I'm not going to go TOO crazy to make sure I have a long window, that is not big enough for that, but I do want to make sure I can get some water time. Today, and the next couple, look worthless, so I can work and go to the gym or run steps without wondering about the surf I'm missing.

Sorry to excite you, we are talking shoulder high stuff late this week, NOT anything head high+.

Okay. I see what you are doing there. You are being positive.

Me, not so much. It is November. November is the month you can surf every damn day, and it might never drop below shoulder high and the wind never blows so it is oil glass at two in the afternoon. Except this November. It is flat. Flat enough that even Rog would call it flat. Okay, maybe not Rog. But everyone else.

I recall a November 20 years ago. I was between jobs and out searching for one. Surfed every damn day. Twice on most days. When I'd get an interview, I'd set it up so it would not fuck with my schedule. The main break I was surfing is best from 2-5 feet of tide. I'd be on the phone, with HR, looking at my tide log, just to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything. Cause every damn day was good, and most were cranking. Shoulder high days I considered taking off to rest, but powered through to see how many days in a row I could surf. Good days were 6-10' and the few big days required the 8'4" gun. That is November.

This year I'm looking at a July. And no snow is sight. Guess I too will be working the next few days. Or weeks. Well, shit does got to get done.