Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164
Results 4,076 to 4,083 of 4083
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    County Line. Was much better this morning. Not tube city, but I did get into a few. Mostly fast, so only a few face carves, but when they opened up, super fun turns. Solid head high today. One of my last waves started with a take off stand up barrel. So fun.

I used to make that same trip, but usually after Labor Day. I'd also take overnight trips out of NYC (when I lived there), to RI. It sticks out so nicely to pick up those hurricane swells. I've gotten a few big days at Pt Judith and two at Ruggles. Even surfed the reef way outside of there. I think it was called Green Point. Also surfed inside the harbor to the right of Pt Judith, as well as M., west across the inlet. As well as more east of Newport. Some really fun waves in RI. It is where the east coast shifts all sand to mostly rock, but is still exposed to a variety of swells. Some of the best reef breaks in the east. I always though the cobblestone reef at M. was an exceptional left when it was head high or more. 3 out of 5 the biggest days I've had on the east coast have been in Rhode Island. Two at Judith and one at that reef outside of Ruggles.

And what cold ME water are you nipping about? I was just there at the change of months and it felt quite warm. Spent hours in the water with my son and nephews with out a chill. I think it was 52F where I surfed yesterday. Much warmer today with no upwelling and south flow. Maybe even 60F. BTW, heard O was stomach and Wells waist, so it sounds like you scored.
    Yup, we stayed east of Newport and scored on a nice cobblestone left. Would have preferred a right though... Figured Ruggles and anything close to Newport would be jacked. South facing beaches closed at high tide because the surge was filling the parking lot.

I'm in Gloucester, so we don't get the warm gulf stream waters that Maine gets (seriously). We topped out at high 60s a few weeks ago, but water is back down to 62. We just never get that comfortable warm water for extended periods of time in the summer. Yes, warmer than SC water, but much cooler than the low 70s down in Rhode Island from Gert (btw, what gender is Gert?).

fkna today was sweet. I had a big window and ended up surfing for two hours, talking a half hour lunch and getting back in for 90 more minutes. Only left because I felt the need to act like an adult and get shit accomplished. A bit smaller than yesterday, but still head high sets. And it seemed like the new swell was filling in late with some rare plus sets. Longer wait between sets, but it was tube city out there today. Many I got in but not out, but perhaps more I more than that I was able to not only make it out, but find a rippable section waiting for me. Fog burned off at lunch. Almost oil glass. Super fun day, and I feel lucky I was able to get this on a day where not only can I surf, but I have a five hour window to work. Used it all basically to surf. Summer vacation day.

Some cell phone pics from Thurs

And today

Where are you there? Is that one pic by Sewers?

Anyone else get some today...?

Nope. Up the coast. A few hundred yards south of the county line. Basically Waddell beach. Needed to get up and out of town to maximize swell with its SSE direction.

SW filled in late Friday and that was when the swell was just plain awesome. Saturday morning at the same spot looked pretty all time for the break, but 35 other people thought the same. After surfing Friday after with 8 people spread out over there take off points, it seemed a bit too crowded.

Head a bit south to a deep water break that really comes alive once the swell hits 4@20 from 235. The 2.5@16 from 195 was just enough to make it break. With a crowd of 4, it was the better choice, although it was not nearly as much fun as Friday. Still, it is a heaven spot and the one barrel I did get in was about three times as heavy as the day before. The type of tube you don't want to make any contact with.

Swell was still around Sunday but the south flow became wind and seemed to fuck things up. Surfed a reef picking up the north windswell that can handle a south wind decently. It was worth getting in for a hour. Now we wait.

Sure wish that Caine was moving a little more north or even north east. Great proximity, but looks like we will get nada.
    Last edited by Ottime; 08-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Nice. That is where my son surfed mostly since he was with local kids right from the start. He's headed back across soon. Going to stop in Utah surf session behind my friends boat for something a little different.

Last night was surprisingly fun at the county line. Oil glass and sunny. Mild air and warm for us water, in the low 60s. Waist to chest high with the occasional shoulder high wave. Fast and lined up. Super fun ripping up stomach and chest high waves that would reel for 75 yards or more. Totally unexpected. Saw the wind go slack and had a last minute play date for my kid, grabbed an egg and shortboard and headed out. Thought I'd be on slow, lumpy waist high rollers. Even pulled the egg out of the car and then saw a few sets roll in. So glad I grabbed the shirt board. Such fun, rippable waves. A little faster than perfect, but so many top carves, snaps, floaters, off the lip slips and slides and slaps.

Fingers crossed we get a Caine swell here on the central coast tomorrow and Thursday. Been a good run.

I got back on Friday August 18th after two weeks in the upper peninsula of Michigan. The weekend was fun, close to head high in Newport although a bit walled. There were some corners to be found. Monday was chest to shoulder high and still fun, yesterday things dropped off a bit but I still got wet. Today I might pass. There were actually a couple of days where Lake Superior was surfable in front of our cabin, I have been going to the UP since I was a kid, and I have had numerous dreams about surfing there. It was waist high a couple of times, conditions I could take or leave in Newport but up there I really wanted a board for the novelty of surfing that place.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."