Page 195 of 224 FirstFirst ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 5587
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Classic!
    I think somebody in here knows him or who he is.

Makes me think a bit about my annual CR trip...just a little.

Fastest I’ve ever seen anyone exit the water.

https://www.surfer.com/features/why-...rica-covid-19/

I'm sure most have seen this, but it's crazy right now. Slater's post is accurate.
    Our beaches are shut down, but we can go down the street and get in the water.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-gIQyzh...d=wijtdyritdge

Reading through the instagram posts.... we are fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Reading through the instagram posts.... we are fucked.
    We've been fucked for a while. The comment about hospitals being empty is the best. What a bunch of idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    We've been fucked for a while. The comment about hospitals being empty is the best. What a bunch of idiots!
    I didn't see the posts, but hospitals are kind of empty right now. Our ER's are seeing about 40-60% of our normal volume in the Bay Area(Santa Clara Co not included). The people we are admitting with COVID19 are super sick and labor intensive, however. I send my best wishes to all of you that you not get sick, nor your families.

Just picked up a 7-10 Padillac off Craigslist right before my family left the country Sunday. Had to stash it at a friend's house so the wife didn't see it. I think I'm back up to fourteen boards.

That is a quiver. I've got fewer than that, but really only ride about 4.

Did you head south? Or are you still working?

The point was not so much about hospital beds as the numerous posts about the pandemic being a hoax, numbers out of NYC being inflated, that you cannot easily catch this thing, that its a free country so the government should not be allowed to shut down beaches, etc.

The fact ya'll are at 40-60% of ER normal volume is scary to me. When you are doing a god job of suppressing those numbers and they are still that high when we are still a few weeks before peak COVID19 cases, that is enough for me to not think this is way overblown.

I have EMT and FD friends in Santa Clara. They make is sound really scary. But there are no waves there, so...

SC has closed parking along West Cliff. Surfing is still happening. I have not been out as my shoulder has not been tested since dislocation, and I really don't want to go into urgent care right now to have it put back in. So no idea what crowds are like. About 80% of my surf buddies that charge up north are EMT/FD/PD or health professionals. Everyone of them I've spoke with is not driving to surf at all right now. They get in on their off days in town to get a paddle in, but no more driving to Davenport, scaling cliffs, etc. Their biggest piece of feedback is -stay off the road - keep them clear for emergency vehicles and avoid vehicular accidents at all costs.

Glad to hear your family is safe BS. Stay safe yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I didn't see the posts, but hospitals are kind of empty right now. Our ER's are seeing about 40-60% of our normal volume in the Bay Area(Santa Clara Co not included). The people we are admitting with COVID19 are super sick and labor intensive, however. I send my best wishes to all of you that you not get sick, nor your families.

Just picked up a 7-10 Padillac off Craigslist right before my family left the country Sunday. Had to stash it at a friend's house so the wife didn't see it. I think I'm back up to fourteen boards.
    Yeah, it was some nitwit women running for office in SF posting the hospital parking lot and emergency room entrance virtually empty essentially calling the whole pandemic a hoax. Then all these idiots buying into it. So f'n dumb it hurts my brain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFC5n...ature=youtu.be

As for the footage from NYC being actually Italy footage, please don't tell me you think any news crews are allowed inside a fucking COVID unit. Or any hospital where patients are cared for.

I don't deny that the media has tried to get people crazy over this. There was a huge wave of testing, then everyone went home to wait to see if they died. Traffic is alarmingly higher now, and they are predicting this week it either ramps up like the good saviour on the cross, or it starts trending down.

Even it this is overblown, something else will happen, and people need to prepare. We can't go shorting each other with our lack of preparedness.

Anyway, waist to shoulder glassiness south of Sloat today. Had to take the time window allotted to me instead of waiting for the tide to drop. So refreshing to breathe salty air after wearing a mask for ten hours. Hey, this isn't all that bad.

Anyone read the LA Times article about COVID and ocean water? I was fire walled, but my wife relayed some of the info.

What I got for her, which is useless, but:
    Some scientist some where may have done a study on COVID in coastal waters. The water does not destroy the virus, but it floats on the surface. When larger waves break it can aerosol the virus into the local air.

I’ve been trying to find research on the virus and salt water. I was hoping the salt water would have dehydrated them. Can get to the article so no idea how valid the findings are.

If true, that’s kind of fucked.

Still can’t surf cause I don’t want to test my shoulder. Maybe I should get a session in with BS. Bet he could pop it back in for me if it dislocates.

Rain has stopped. Another hike day, then back on the bike for a day of gravel and then back to the single track. Play alone every day.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — COVID-19 wasn’t the only scary thing spreading virally over the weekend.

A Los Angeles Times article published Thursday included this startling quote from Santa Rosa native Kim Prather, an atmospheric chemist at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla:

“I wouldn’t go in the water if you paid me $1 million right now.”

Her reason? According to the L.A. Times article, “Prather fears that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters [via runoff and wastewater discharges] and transfer back into the air along the coast.”

In this hypothetical scenario, coronavirus excreted then processed in sewage treatment facilities survives and makes it to the sea where the crashing surf churns it into an aerosol that wafts along the shore where beachgoers inhale it and become infected.

So far, so scary. And Prather’s (literal) money quote was all some news sites needed to crank up the clickbait. One Bay Area site Sunday had a front page photo of the beach at Crissy Field with Golden Gate Bridge in the background over the headline: “California scientist warns people to stay away from beaches during COVID-19 pandemic.”

A Google search for “coronavirus prather beach” will quickly demonstrate how quickly a new angle on the coronavirus pandemic can propagate among media outlets in this sheltered-in-place time.

But how real is the threat of catching COVID-19 by inhaling the fresh sea breeze? On Saturday, Dr. Prather took to social media to clarify her remarks to the Times.

“Now, what about … where I said I would not go into the ocean if you paid me? That was totally taken out of context and when I first read it, I cringed,” Prather wrote in a lengthy post on her Facebook page. “I made it very clear to (the Times reporter) that SARS-CoV-2 has not been detected in the ocean or atmosphere by anyone. Much research needs to be done to understand this virus and how/if it travels through the environment. It is also a virus that has a fragile “envelope” that if disrupted by heat or water kills the virus — that is very good news.”

The main point Prather wanted to make wasn’t the danger of coronavirus blown ashore by surf spray. It was to dismiss the idea that 6 feet is some magic distance beyond which the coronavirus won’t venture.

“People infected with a virus can exhale small aerosol particles that do not settle out within 6 ft — they can float around for hours. Note these are emitted into the air without coughing,” Prather explained. “Right now, there is a large fraction of people that are infected and do not have any symptoms. So, if they are surfing or running along the beach, they could be exhaling tiny infectious aerosol particles.”

Perhaps the best takeaway from both the original Times article and Prather’s social media post is this: coronavirus, when attached to invisibly-tiny water droplets, can travel much farther than six feet, no matter where or how it gets onto those droplets or into the air.

So, to breathe a little easier when you’re outdoors or anywhere else among people, cover your face.

Thanks

Santa Cruz County juts closed beaches and surfing through April 14th. Likely will extend.

Trestles closed, weird seeing lowers head high & empty....Also, that SalmonBoy from Facebook is not our beloved Fishboy
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Still can’t surf cause I don’t want to test my shoulder. Maybe I should get a session in with BS. Bet he could pop it back in for me if it dislocates.

Rain has stopped. Another hike day, then back on the bike for a day of gravel and then back to the single track. Play alone every day.
    Hehehehe. A few slugs of whiskey and 50mg THC, then you're laying on the topper of my truck with a sandbag tied to your wrist and traffic flying by on 1.

I can't go near anyone for a week. I was exposed a week ago, and by an employee who deteriorated and had to be hospitalized. I'm asymptomatic, but I'd be destroyed if I passed it off to anyone and they got sick, or worse yet infected their family. Once this is over, let's get in some cliff scaling. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Trestles closed, weird seeing lowers head high & empty....Also, that SalmonBoy from Facebook is not our beloved Fishboy
    I saw that.

Orange County is pumping today. This would normally be a period where I would be deciding whether to sneak in a session, at the risk of not finishing my work by Thursday night so that I can go up to Mammoth, or deciding to avoid surfing and push through to get a three day weekend. Such a first world dilemma is one of the reasons I feel really lucky to lead the life I do. I have not surfed in more than a week and a half, I was occasionally going out in Newport and practicing social distancing, but I eventually decided that even though I'm being quite safe it is simply not a good idea.

Unsurprising there are plenty of Newport idiots who are not being smart. The 56th street jetty looks like it normally would. Newport can be a vicious lineup, I expect now that the regulars think that they should keep their spot by the jetty and everyone else should move away. I don't usually surf close to the jetty anyway, but it seems to me that this is the time to be a bit more cerebral. Lots of Newport surfers, even ones with high levels of education, tend to leave their brains in the car when they surf. It is a place where folks construct their logical scenarios to support what is convenient for them at the time. They can drop-in on people they think suck, but if someone from out of town who is better than they are drops in that is not okay. It is a meritocracy, unless someone with more merit shows up, at that point it is based on seniority. People are supposed to practice social distance, but that means that everyone else in the water is supposed to back off from the jetty so that they can have it for themselves. I think I'm going to pass until things change.

I am aware that I am lucky to work from home, but right now I do feel a bit like the kid who goes to the one school district that does NOT grant a snow-day. Let me be very clear that I'm not serious, lots of people are out of work and suffering, but I'm used to working from home. The difference for me right now is that I can't run out for a mid-day trip to the gym or to surf. I can't plan to have most of my work done so that I can leave for Mammoth on Friday morning. Basically things are the same for me to some extent, I just can't do the things I like to do. Let me be very clear that I am saying this tongue and cheek, I realize I'm very lucky. But yeah, I can still work, I just can't do the fun stuff.

Of late we have had good waves and lots of snow, both in Mammoth and at Baldy.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    It is a place where folks construct their logical scenarios to support what is convenient for them at the time.
    So they post on TGR a lot?

As for the rest of your post, I'm kind of in the same spot. Lucky that I still have partial hours and my wife is fully employed and we never relied on my income other than for saving and home upgrades. So no new appliances or savings right now. Otherwise fiancées are the same. But both the surf and the snow are going off, especially considering it is April. Can't so either, so I'm about to go peddle up a hill for a bit. I hear some people enjoy that stuff. But still feeling very fortunate. And ultimately, I really like my wife and kid. And cooking and gardening. And my home. So pretty fortunate.

Fuck, Baldy good even.

LOL

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Thanks

Santa Cruz County juts closed beaches and surfing through April 14th. Likely will extend.
    Yeah, just heard. I hope it's short lived.

So they post on TGR a lot?

Fuck, Baldy good even.
    It's raining in Newport as we speak. Baldy has gotten pounded since it closed, and it was having a good year, by Baldy standards, before that.

Typically we get a 9 day trip to Mammoth at the end of March, then 2-3 Mammoth weekends in April and 1-2 in May. In general I feel lucky if I'm able to get a Baldy day in April, this season it would probably go until the end of April.

Baldy is an interesting mountain. At the base one takes a lift, typically with the skis off, up to the restaurant, where skis are put on and the rest of the terrain is accessed. The runs down to the lot are insane when they are open. Thunder is Baldy's main peak, you would be amazed that terrain is in socal. But the runs down to the lot are just nuts, they are about 1500 vertical and they would be legit double diamonds at Mammoth. Not the gnarliest stuff, but imagine being able to ski terrain that is close to as steep as the avy chutes in socal. I have gotten some lot runs this year, any season where you get lot runs is a good one. Some of these storms have gotten down to the 5k level, so I would be the lot runs would be good to go again. It is pouring at my house right now. I think this would have gone down as one of the best Baldy seasons we have had in the 15 years I have lived here.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    LOL

I wonder how often this happens at the Hollister Ranch? I would guess most that boat in there regularly are more experienced.

Hehehehe. A few slugs of whiskey and 50mg THC, then you're laying on the topper of my truck with a sandbag tied to your wrist and traffic flying by on 1.
    50mg!!!!! Wow!! You have some serious tolerance. This evening when I'm done with work a might take a 5mg gummy, which should do it for me, I'm a lightweight. I might take 1.5 of them, which is 7.5 mgs, but that is my limit.

I can't go near anyone for a week. I was exposed a week ago, and by an employee who deteriorated and had to be hospitalized. I'm asymptomatic, but I'd be destroyed if I passed it off to anyone and they got sick, or worse yet infected their family. Once this is over, let's get in some cliff scaling. ��

He is talking about putting my shoulder back into the socket using some drive by voodoo. I think the 5g grams is to make sure I don’t know what he is doing.

Vibes BS. Stay healthy.

Damn, that is some quiver. I only have room for 5 boards in my wall rack and I am presently down to 3. Last season, I only got to ski groomers at Mammoth, because of low snow fall in Jan & Feb I have some pretty nice groomer skis that are 4 seasons old, but I saw an auction on Ebay for some Kastle MX84's (ultimate groomer ski) so I said fuck it, I will bid up to $600 knowing I will be over bid. I bought them for $574 which is an unheard of price for those, so now my ski quiver will be back up to 5 pairs. The wife asked if I am selling a pair and I replied hell no, they are all great skis that will last forever at my age.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I’d be stoked to have a sub 90 modern ski in my quiver.

I’d be stoked to have a sub 90 modern ski in my quiver.
    I am. Sadly, my trip timing seems to suck and I am usually at Mammoth with no fresh snow in weeks. Skiing off piste in winter will often shake my fillings loose, so I do a lot of piste skiing. My Elan Amphibio 88 xti's have been great, but I have always read Kastle's are the on piste schizzle, so I hope to find out the hype was for reelz next winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.