Page 86 of 224 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 5589
    Weather is turning from good to gooder around here with what looks like an actual fall pattern setting up. This mornings run of the 16 day/12 hr GFS looks pretty perfect for around these parts. Might even see an off shore develop, if not at least light winds. Supu is gonna need to call someone out of the water at OB soon. Sure, 16 day models are basically complete garbage, but this run has storms making swell right through the end of the month with out a drop of rain south of Marin. Nom, nom.

Decided to avoid the crowds and take the fun board out to where I found crowds on Thursday. Only two guys out on the shoulder. Full on swamped, warbled, wind swept point waves. Surf an hour. Probably waited for waves a total of seven minutes. Otherwise I paddling back from some long ass rides, and even found three or four fun cover ups. Head high on the peak and thigh high at the beach. Not exactly the surf I pine for, but I only had an hour and I hate waiting my turn.

Small swell today. 3.5@14 285^ and 1.2@14 210^. Lots of wind. I might poke around a point at sunset or so.

Anxiously awaiting some juice for next friday/saturday up here...hopefully it comes to fruition! Monday, Tuesday after that looking downright stupendous. Hope the crystal ball is right.
    Yesterday was waist high and lully, but oh so clean in the rain. Need juice.

Beacon's was good on Friday. Boneyard's delivered on both Saturday and Sunday; had some of the longest rides I've had in awhile. Swamis was packed all 3 days - no thanks. YMCA skatepark hot as balls for the Sunday night sess, but some was gotten. D-Street wasn't to bad Monday am.

Water temp felt nice and refreshing with the sun and mug in the air. I just don't get why almost 99% of peeps are in their wetsuits when the water is 70degs and the sun is baking out???? Growing up in the Midwest water skiing, as soon as the water temp hit mid 60's, we were outta those damn things.
    Last edited by Xover; 09-17-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Figured I'd throw this up here for all to comment on; I've been PMing with piggity a bit but I'm sure others can chime in too. Trying to figure out a new board, or style of board, to pick up in the next couple weeks.

I was able to figure out (I think) that the board I picked up a couple months back is an older Rusty Piranha 6'2" x 20 x 2.35. I like how the board feels as a quad when I'm on waves, especially in the stomach to head high range. I feel like the board is a bit too long, but I like the amount of foam I get from the 6'2" and 20 wide.

Looking to add to the quiver/replace this board with something kind of similar I guess, but I'm sure functionally a lot different (might be wrong there..)

So far looking at the Rusty Dwart, Rusty T-Dwart, Rusty Neil Diamond and was told by Piggity to check out the Chemistry Beaker. Probably thinking about a 5'8" Dwart, 5 8 or 5 10 T Dwart, not sure about length for the Diamond, and maybe a 5 9 or 5 10 Beaker.

My lengths could be way off since I don't actually know what size "shortboard" I should be on since I just bought the $100 one off Craigslist, so any help is appreciated.

Any thoughts on these boards, or something similar? Would especially be interested in something a mag has for sale.

It's far from exact but try this volume calculator out

http://vol-app.com/Rusty/

I just get why almost 99% of peeps are in their wetsuits when the water is 70degs and the sun is baking out????
    I speak only for myself but I trunked it on Saturday and was fine for 3 hours but got cold during the 4th hour. I also got a healthy sunburn on Saturday so I wore my short suit on Sunday to avoid more sunburn. I also don't mind neoprene to avoid fin gashes, those would be my 3 reasons if I had to pick a couple. But you are right, there were way too many full suits in the water this weekend considering the warm water and air temps
    Last edited by Piggity; 09-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4023907885.html

This looks like an interesting board for a good price.

^^looks fun, I would like to see it a bit thicker but I’m a fatboy so.....

OTT should be able to tell you everything you need to know.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Nope. Can't do that. Personally I don't really know much about grovelers. I hear him saying he thinks the 6'2" is too long, but that is kind of what I grew up on. I've surfed shorter boards and have even owned a 4'10"x23" board, but I never really saw the need for such short lengths. Sure, you can fit the board in tighter spots, but unless you are truly ripping it up in the pocket, the difference between a 5'8" and a 6'4" evades me. That said,...

The board looks like it may be home shaped. I'm not against that. Ask who glassed it. If professionally glassed and sanded you can assume some sort of expertise. Regardless, talk to him about it if he shaped the board. Things to look for in a home shape or board made by a new shaper: Look at the foil. Not the shape, but the foil. Do the base and deck curve regularly and smoothly? Do the rails transition easily? Look for any unintended abrupt changes to the foil. Basically, check the workmanship. Any smooth foil will do some type of surfing/planing. No guarantee it will plane well, but it will ride. Check the glass job. Fiberglass cloth will overlap at the rails. The less you can tell this is the case, the better. Look for air bubbles along the lap and in the glass in general.

On any used board, look for dings and weak spots. If there is a ding repair that you can not tell exists, it generally means it was done correctly. (**When buying long boards, look for a cloth wrap in the middle of the board. Sometimes when the snap cleanly in half, you can put them back together, and wrap (often Hawaiian) print cloth around the board at the break point under the glass, to cover up the repair and you can hardly tell it was ever broken.) Look for obvious dings, as well a soft or delaminating glass in foot and hand contact areas. Check the fin boxes for cracks. Etc.

Seems different enough from your other board to be worth a try and fun to ride. Shorter/Wide than I want to go. I've been loving my new 6', but it bogs a bit in the small/weak stuff. I think of dropping two inches, but adding volume. I could be convinced otherwise, but I really don't see why I need to lose much length. I rather retain some so I don't need such a fat board. But then again, I like to ride rail to rail, which seems to happen faster on narrower boards.

ott, seems like you're generally surfing above shoulder high waves, mostly at a reef or point, while down here a lot of the time I'm surfing waist high beachbreak or a pretty mushy reef that gets rippable on bigger swells but is generally more San Onofre-esque day to day and Trestles-esque on a bigger swell.

I don't know that the CL board is the answer for me, but it's a good price and looks to be in good condition based on the photos. The length thing basically seems to be a function of the thickness and width of the models I was looking at. Certainly not opposed to buying something 6' and up, but just don't want to overlap my quiver.

I guess I should say too that my surfing is at a point where I'm having a lot of fun doing long, swoopy turns and pretty kooky cutbacks..none of my maneuvers are sharp/quick cuts. I do want to buy something that will be fun now but will also help me keep progressing.

I'm surfing some beach break as well. And plenty of sub shoulder high. Unfortunately.

Not harshing on ya. Just trying to help. Not saying you need a 6' plus board. And I hear you on the over lap thing.

Personally, when the waves are sub waist high and weak, I tend to get on my long board or egg. When I get enough money together, I'm gonna try to get myself a groveler. Kind of like I posted.

I hear you on the swooping turns thing, and that is why I kind of suggest more length. Here is my short take on length. The longer the edge, the wider the turn. So dropping in length generally allows for a tighter turn AND getting that board in tight spots without digging a rail or burying a nose.

That said, I have found that a lot of the short/wide boards are better at swooping turns and cutbacks. In fact, a traditional fish (those super wide, short, w. deeeeep swallow tail big ass twin fins) are great at what you describe.

Now I have in no way stay up on all the different board models that are part of the scene these days. From talking with BS720 and Piggity, they know way more than me.

I will be looking for a hybrid more inclined toward sharp/quick performance, because that is how I like to surf. But I guess I don't worry about going too short because when the waves get really small, I just enjoy taking out my Rick.

As for Tresles-esque, I really enjoyed my 6' there on a shoulder high day. I could see a slightly smaller board for smaller days, but not much.

BTW, I guess I like feeling like I have enough of a rail to drive hard off of. I have ridden very few boards that are sub 6' that do that for me. It is only partially a length thing. Shape and fins have a huge effect for sure.

If I were you, and the board was is my price range, I'd for sure go look at. For $280, the board should be in very good condition. Water tight, with no visible concerns.

BTW, if I had money to spend, I am sure I would have several boards in the sub 6' range, just because it is so much fun to ride many different boards. Right now I am pretty much on one board in the rog school of really getting to know a board. I'm selling all my old gear to try and get another board, but I think I will get a step up board first.

I think I said with your last board purchase - if you think you can sell it after a month or two of use for $50 less than what you paid for it, it is worth going ahead and giving it a try. Worse case scenario, you rent a board for $25/month and realize it is not what you want. Or you end up liking it, and you are stoked.

He says near perfect condition in the write up. Look closely at that photo, does it look like the right fin box was replaced? I'd say yes. The fin box is different (The 4 others have dotted lines around the edges) and the glass looks darker around the edges. If that's true, combine that with it being a Rusty knockoff (unless it's a reputable shaper doing it on the side), I'd say he's way over priced.

Apparently it's shaped by Ken Kelly from San Clemente and glassed at Moonlight Glassing. Couldn't find any info on the shaper online.

Moonlight glassing is legit. Shaper might be too but not sure, lot of guys are ghost shapers under the main shaper.

If you don't go with that, just checked that Disco, it's a 5'10" x 19.25 x 2.4. It needs a little love. I could let it go for a case of beer. Let me know, thinking about hitting harbor right now

piggity, would def take you up on that, regardless of what I do on other boards.

Was going to head south of the pier after work, but I bet the harbor would be nice. Buoys seem up from yesterday, 3@8 272, 2@14 197

heading that way now, I'll throw the board in the truck. I'll send you my number. I hear traffic is heavy, I'll check in here once i get up that way

Just surfed fun clean sets under a full moon at the wall NH. Fuck that's awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Just surfed fun clean sets under a full moon at the wall NH. Fuck that's awesome!

Nice! Get sum!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

jtran, how much you weigh? then we can talk volume. I ride this: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...em-mini-driver

from thigh+ to as big as it gets round here. perfect all rounder. run it quad to head high. thruster beyond that. i'm 6' 165-170lbs depending on my beer intake. I ride the 5'10 27.8 liters.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

you surfin in the am?

rog

Uppers this morning was pretty bunk, had a few that lined up nicely though. Had a lot more fun at Calafia? this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    jtran, how much you weigh? then we can talk volume. I ride this: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...em-mini-driver

from thigh+ to as big as it gets round here. perfect all rounder. run it quad to head high. thruster beyond that. i'm 6' 165-170lbs depending on my beer intake. I ride the 5'10 27.8 liters.

rog
    I'm 5'8 150-155

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    I'm 5'8 150-155
    surf experience? fitness level?

rog

fun morning. small, but perfect form and clean. surfed south of the restaurant on the incoming from 730-9. knee/thigh with occ waist high sets. there was a group of 6 guys out which was surprising as I am usually the lone soldier at that spot. nice guys. must all work together cuz after 20 minutes they all left at once. ahhhhhh! perfect.

super fun lefts/rights on the longboard. the inside sections were super fast and steep for the size. zippy. a hair over 2' @ 13 seconds and holding steady. the next coupla days look about the same. perfect weather too.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    surf experience? fitness level?

rog
    I was going to ask about volume an how it relates to other factors.

Also, quality and power of wave I imagine is a big factor. Also board template and rocker.

I figure I will figure the volume of my board and want a little bit more for a groveler. But I hope to just work with a shaper. A good one is an expert I. All this.

I have not looked at the pic again. But I agree with Pigs. If the fin box has been replaced, what other damage has there been. Look for delam repairs. Delams almost always return and ruin a board if untended. And add lots of weight if fixed. A short board can only handle so much weight.

I don't mind a home shaper. As long a the foil is good. Basic board shaping is not as hard as they want you to think. I was making boards out of the garage when I was 16. Glass jobs were not prime and neither was the shape. But they rode fine. My first mini gun was a 6' 8.5" rounded bumped pin. The thing killed it in triple overhead Wells Jetty and Point Judith. Did fine enough at Green Point and Ruggles on a 12' (face) It wa stolen from beaneath the Rockaway Boardwalk one winter day by what I assume was a raging crack addict. Not sure how much rock he got for my green marine tiny glassed garage board. Hope it made him happy.

Anyway, jtran, I used to over think my boards and be very focused on every design detail. Now not so much. I was just makin a comment about the need for short news. Kind of reminds me of the perceived need for fatness a length in skis. It is not seas needed.

Okay. My son needs me. Nice wind swell hitting right now.