Page 9 of 224 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    View from my house after a nice surf yesterday. This swell snuck under the radar; not in the forecasts, didn't show up in the swell models, no other surfers out (this is in our fair capital city), but if you'd bothered to check the charts 3 days ago....

Wow. Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    land of the long white cloud
    Strange.... I don't see any sheep. Or ex-pat wall-streeters.

More walled up today, not much leftovers to cross things up like it was yesterday. Of course I have more time to surf on the day it's walled

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    Strange.... I don't see any sheep. Or ex-pat wall-streeters.
    The sheep are on them thar hills in the background - and just about everywhere else you look. The Wall St ex-pats are probably hiding out in warmer parts of our wee South Sea nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Welcome to my world. The world of red bull.
    SUPU- You getting excited or pissed about the Search circus coming to town?

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    Nice SheRa, I'll try to order up some waves to coincide with your trip to SD. If ya don't mind, can u order some snow in CO around the New Year? I'll be visiting the inlaws and hopefully poaching some snow around that time
    Shoot me a message if you're in the Summit/Eagle area and need a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Glad you had an awesome time! Let me know if you'll be in the area again and you're free to use my quiver of boards. I also am on La Playa on the northern end
    Thanks, I will.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Semi OT: Im flying out to San Fran for the weekend and will probably be making the trip down to Santa Cruz Saturday or Sunday. I was wondering if my 3/2 will be enough for the current water/air temps? Looks like air will be around 70 and water in the mid 50's so I think I should be OK? I have some booties and gloves I could bring as well if necessary. Also, any suggestions on a shop with a good selection of rental boards?

Thanks!

3/2 should work in town. Maybe even up north. It has been warm.

Don't know about rentals, but Rip Curl on Mission has a big Rentals sign out front.

^^I have been waiting for my winter suits to arrive, but it was in the 80's today. I took my 3/2 Matuse out today at OB, and I was fine for four hours. Very few places around here/SC will be colder as far as water goes. Good call getting out of the city. The Nike women's marathon is this weekend, so OB will be a zoo.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Today was fucking rad. I thought I was surfing a Balinese beachbreak for a second. Barrels and peaks all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    SUPU- You getting excited or pissed about the Search circus coming to town?
    Fuckin psyched. Not everyday the WCT holds a contest across from the Poon Palace.

Thanks SheRa, I'll be in the winter park area so probably hit a few laps on berthoud while we're there. Appreciate the offer though!

Aaaaah it sucks to be older and not in tip top shape. Took the wife to a seminar at La Jolla High, drove down to Wind and Sea and it was going OFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!
    Over head sets, guys getting a little covered up, seriously what I would pay big money to fly to to surf with no one else out.
    Bad news for me, was there were 20+ guys out there on short boards that would have ate my lunch if I had paddled out on my 8'6". Had to be satisfied with a few chest high ones at Delmar. FML.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Surf the past few days has been fun. The Lane has been pretty good since the NW arrived on Wednesday. Thursday afternoon looked real fun and real crowded. Lots of collisions. Too many. Too many douchebag moves going on. The end result is that plenty of waves went wasted because people can't seem to communicate. Still plenty of good surfing and a few good waves ridden. Got a few good pics. Teaser.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall Lane_20111013_101.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	101501  

damn i miss summer already. summer always seems so much more consistent with more favorable winds.

went out today in typical fall/winter gale force winds and typical crowds due to locals coming out of the woodwork from avoiding summer fun. man do they miss out. nows the time of year for long stretches of flatness with a bit of greatness thrown in here and there.

thank god for skiing.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    nows the time of year for long stretches of flatness with a bit of greatness thrown in here and there.
    I kind of remember that. Two week intervals between swells. Well overhead and lined up for a day. Chest high the next morning due to off shores hammering the swell. Maybe knee high the next. Then a two week wait for the next swell.

On the other coast, this is the prime season, with the north waking up, and the south trying to send out one last swell. Still, it looks like we have a small week ahead. Time to work on processing pics and getting them posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I kind of remember that. Two week intervals between swells. Well overhead and lined up for a day. Chest high the next morning due to off shores hammering the swell. Maybe knee high the next. Then a two week wait for the next swell.

On the other coast, this is the prime season, with the north waking up, and the south trying to send out one last swell. Still, it looks like we have a small week ahead. Time to work on processing pics and getting them posted.
    envious of you fer sure. nice pics coming through from your coast! i hadn't surfed in a couple weeks after surfing multiple days a week from late april-early october. felt like i hadn't paddled in months. with the temps and wind i was chilled to the bone in my 4/3 and boots. getting soft i guess

still some fun ones at the rocks fer sure. the wind was REALLY holding em up. looks like we may have some fun coming late in the week, but probably windy as shit too. ah well. take what we get and like it!

keep that west coast stoke coming!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    getting soft i guess

rog
    i think u are...my kid still in his 3/2 no boots.

[IMG]
    2011-10-07 12-1.12.49 by pedpro, on Flickr[/IMG]

2011-10-16 15.38.02 by pedpro, on Flickr
    url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/68752541@N05/6254170495/][/url]
    2011-10-16 15.31.32 by pedpro, on Flickr

excuse the shitty pics from my 1st gen droid, these are from the last two weekends of sw swell and sheet glass conditions north of the gate. 2nd two pics are from a reef a buddy and I had to ourselves from 11-3 yesterday. 'twas a chest to head buffet of occasionally bowling rights. amazing what a little hike does to thin out the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    i think u are...my kid still in his 3/2 no boots.
    still green sleeves?

shit, now my elbow hurts.

rog

yup green. sawyers last sat. funky w/ side wind. i'm sure the switch is coming soon to a 4/3...which he does not own...$$$...just bought him new boards, now he needs boots too. $$$$ the best is that he'll grow out of all this stuff too!

yup green. sawyers last sat. funky w/ side wind. i'm sure the switch is coming soon to a 4/3...which he does not own...$$$...just bought him new boards, now he needs boots too. $$$$ the best is that he'll grow out of all this stuff too!
    sat, meaning 2 days ago? ya that friggin wind. i was playing domestique in a 106 mile bike event out of peterborough in THAT wind. yesterday at the rocks was like surfing on a hydrofoil. every left on the new rocket had me hovering with what seemed like just my fins in contact with the wave face. thank goodness that take off is so damn perfect. some waves i swore were gonna break a bit inn front of me were too damn scared of the wind to do so. made for some fun rides!

after 120+ sessions in my 4/3 since last fall, it's getting kinda leaky. time to go back to ripcurl for that 3 year warranty re-seaming

oh ya, he's worth EVERY penny.

rog

Boots will stretch over time, so buy ones just a touch big, and they will last the two years boots do any way.

Buy him a 2/1 shorty that he will fit into next summer. Wear it over the 3/2 and presto, you have a 5/3/2. Add a neoprene hooded vest that he can use for years, and it gets right toasty. It worked well enough for a nyc winter when I was 18. Actually, I had an old 4mil with the neoprene rot in the crotch and pits. Wore the shorty under it. Worked for a few winters until I could afford a real suit.

My favorite surf outfit would be the board shorts+booties+neoprene hooded vest. So easy to paddle in, yet surprisingly warm.

It is rare to get those off shore winds here like I recall from Maine. Kind of miss them.
    Last edited by Ottime; 10-18-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1017am.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	101575

I keep checking in on this thread. Guess that'll stop when I get to skiing next week in Colorado. I just got a new pair of Lhasa Pows!!! 186 gonna make this girl go very fast. Thinking Marker Barons if I can find a rep before they run out.
    Thank you splat, you da mang!

So all you Cali peeps, I will come to the Mammoth Mini next spring - I'm quite determined.
    Would like to meet you surfers and see if you really ski too.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    So all you Cali peeps, I will come to the Mammoth Mini next spring - I'm quite determined.
    Would like to meet you surfers and see if you really ski too.
    These days I would be reluctant to say I do either well, I need some consecutive days in the water and on the mountain. Summer fuckin kills me. Hope to see you at next years mini and have a great winter SheRa. Once the surf is rockin in San Diego, I will post up some pics for you to day dream over. It really is tough to beat winter days surfing in SD especially when comboed with a long weekend at Mammoth.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.