Page 214 of 224 FirstFirst ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 5587
    Smaller today. Head high to a bit overhead. Fun being back out on the 6'0" again. Tho, today's wave and full tide, perhaps a fuller volume would have been nice. Still fun being out on it. Trying decide between the bike and the surf tomorrow. High morning tides during my window make me lean toward the bike. But damn surfing feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Wednesday sunset at Trestles was perfect as it gets. Plus warm water, and an orange marmalade sunset.

Today was similar, but a lot smaller. Empty though. And the sunset was more canary yellow.

It's been fun. Stoked for all the stoke going around!
    Nice!!!

Glad you got some of that. The cameras were nuts that day.

I should be able to get a window in tomorrow afternoon. I've been pretty swamped, and the tide has been so high that my usual windows have not bee working. Fingers crossed the wind stays good tomorrow afternoon.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

^^^^ high tide here as well. I have a window most days from 8:30-11. Not helpful when the tide is about 5' the entire time and the wind is effecting things up the coast. Dirt has been real nice tho. Surprisingly active weather for October. Hoping for one big storm and snowfall and then high pressure and offshores for November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^ high tide here as well. I have a window most days from 8:30-11. Not helpful when the tide is about 5' the entire time and the wind is effecting things up the coast. Dirt has been real nice tho. Surprisingly active weather for October. Hoping for one big storm and snowfall and then high pressure and offshores for November.
    That high tide was crushing me lately. I was pretty swamped anyway, but it was just wrong for me.

Saturday (yesterday) ended up being one of those days where you just get lucky. I waited until after the tide started to drop, I got in the water around 1245, and hoped the wind would hold off. It did. I surfed 32nd street in Newport. It was clean, shoulder-heard high, and really fun. And there were only 4-5 people at first and second base off the jetty. To get a Newport jetty that good in the middle of the day with that many people in the water on a Saturday, it just does not happen. The vibes were good in the water, which is usually NOT the case close to the jetty, and it was just a blast. I kept wondering if something was up, 32nd street is right there in the middle of one of the most intense surf zones anywhere, and here is was head high, clean and fun with only a few guys in the water. It was far from perfect, some of them were not really lining up, but when you are getting 80-100 yard head high lefts without a hassle you really can't complain.

The tide is just late enough tomorrow that I might be able to get in a dawn patrol session. I'm doing a bit of work right now to have that flexibility.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I got out and crushed the high tide today. Not an epic day by any means but head high and plus on the sets. Lots of different swells in the water but the 7@12 seemed to be making the biggest, and the ones that slipped through the outside into the inside were standing up nicely. Even a solid barrel today, but by then I was tired and grabbed it, uh, prone. Nice view from inside there. Glad I went out. From the cliff it looked less than stellar, but the good ones were quite nice and ripped well through the inside with a nice steep bowl for three or four cranks. Surfing is fun.

reef road

stuck in NJ. Reef Road looked great this am tho

Ldd, you out there? Looks sweet,paddling out shortly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5423.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	392103

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Ldd, you out there? Looks sweet,paddling out shortly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5423.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	392103
    Wow!!!

I wish. I got in a session in Newport this morning. I actually surfed 40th street, which is blackballed from May 1 to Nov 1. The tide was a bit high, but there were still some fun lefts off the jetty. It was just me and one bodyboarder, so it's always nice to get a jetty uncrowded.

Definitely not as good as that though, enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Trying decide between the bike and the surf tomorrow.
    That is the great thing about SC. Always options. I've never been there when there was not a wave. Maybe not epic, but lully waist/chest sets come thru. And the dirt is always there. I guess the only thing that can slow SC down is a rainstorm.

Yeah it rained Tuesday. Dirt is in good shape in most spots as of today. We do certainly have options and less than 4 hours away, pretty damn good skiing

Past two days were pretty fun in the water. Largish westerly mid period swell on Wednesday was pushing into the type II fun range at times, but otherwise was amazing oil glass in flat light with juts me, my buddy and maybe 4 or 6 others; hard to tell as we were never all together. Today was sunny and a bit smaller and tamer, but still over head on the sets and throwing on the ledge with more NW and a bit more period. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Shoulder to head high, clean, and fun this morning north of HB pier.

Luckily I was able to go a bit later, around 9 am. The early high tide is still pretty nuts, although at least the low is not 3 feet anymore.

I should be able to hit up the same window tomorrow.

Had a window this evening and got out on the incoming tide. Small swell combing pop nicely on the reef. A bit of WNW at 12s and a bit of SW at 15s made for some fast, punchy, down the line head high waves. Super fun. Will try again in the morning on a ruler out going tide. Doubt it will be the same, but thinking it might be fun.

Spent last week in OC and N San Diego with my ski surf partners. First time at Trestles and we scored 1-2’ OH. Paddled out at Cottons, main peak is too congested for this mountain kook. Picked off a left and right set wave that lived up to the expectations. Swell dropped a bit and we moved south.
    Down to Cardiff and Carlsbad for a few days of decent beach break that was fun and glassy. Reefs were working and busy. Probably my favorite zone in SoCal. Dropped into Bing and almost pulled the trigger on a new board (Cypress, anyone?)
    Headed to MX for the next 10 days to Punta Mita, ready for some warm water family surf. Fall surf trip is a little shorter this year but stoked for some water time before winter sets in
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	392936

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Trestles keeps delivering. This weekend was so fun. Light winds all day, combo swell staying lively, warm sunny days. It was good all....day....long......

Today had some coastal eddy marine layer and a bit less swell, but still delivered. I got thrown pretty good, it's been awhile since I kooked that hard. Good to get humbled, especially surfing around a crowd that is as skilled as the trestles lineup.

Jealous on the Trestles!! Stoked for you guys!!

I've been too busy lately to get down there. HB has been delivering, but I really love the Cottons zone.

Lee, that is a GREAT shot! You timed your trip well. It's like skiing, I'm at Mammoth about half the weekends, which I don't have to plan, but whenever I plan a trip to Utah or somewhere I always worry that a storm will hit Mammoth but miss where I'm going. You definitely hit California at a good time.

Punta Mita......I really love that area. When we were there the swell was pretty weak, although it was surfable. We got a few fun sessions in, but I would love to hit up that zone in solid swell. There is a right point near the St. Regis that would be absolutely nuts, but we only got it waist high. It was still fun on a big board.

There are some lefts about an hour or so north of Sayulita that I really want to hit up someday. One of the guys at WildMex told me that if I came back and there was swell we could do a day trip up there.

Have fun. I really need to go back to the zone with some swell.

“Shoulda been here yesterday”
    We had 3 days of fading swell at La Lancha. My bro had 6’ barrels at Stinkys just before we arrived.
    At least the waters warm and I’m not too worried about sharks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5462.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	393909
    I’m liking the Punta Mita zone, doing some hiking and swimming since the waves went away. Great family trip

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^Beautiful, if a touch smaller than desired

I went up to HB today, first time since I was a kid. I've never surfed the zone, and today definitely wasn't the day with minimal swell and plenty onshores.

Hanging out at Tower 20 at Bolsa Chica, things looked promising to the South, toward the pier. Is this where I'd want to be surfing, on a better day? The whole parking setup at Bolsa Chica was really chill. I imagine it's a mess closer to the pier?

Nice shot Lee!

I love that area, even on small swell. Most of the time we were there we were surfing waist-chest high La Lancha, which is still fun. I really want to hit that zone with some serious swell.

ate'em,

The zone down towards the pier is probably where you would want to be. I surfed there the last two days and had fun. I usually don't go right by the pier, it is too much of a zoo even if there shape is good there, I usually surf north side of the pier, parking around 9th street and getting in the water around tower 10. The last couple of days I have been getting in the water around tower 16 and parking on 17th street. There are lots of different zones. Between Bolsa Chica and the north side of the pier there is an area called Huntington Cliffs, or Dog Beach, which has some pay parking and can be pretty good. It starts around Tower 22.

I also surf south of the pier. I tend to like the north side a bit better, and it is easier to find parking you don't have to pay for, but south of the pier can be really fun.

I almost never surf Bolsa Chica because it is a state parking lot and I don't have a pass, so parking there is expensive. Bolsa can be fun though. The whole HB zone, from Bolsa all the way down to Newport, is consistent and can be very good at times. It is definitely more on the consistent side than the epic side, but I really love having it close. You really can surf just about every day in HB if you want to badly enough. I live in Newport, but I surf HB much more often than Newport. Newport can be fun, but the sand bars are usually not quite as good unless you are right at one of the jetties, and those jetty peaks get crowded.

Yesterday was fun. Clean and waist high, with the occasional chest high peak. I took out a 7'6" fun shape and was glad I did, it was fun on a bigger board, but there was limited push.

Today was supposed to be better, but it didn't turn out that way. It was about a foot bigger, but pretty walled. It was also very crowded, and I had a hard time finding a non-walled peak. I got a couple of fun ones, but yesterday was definitely better.

Cranking up here again. I was in the mountains over the holiday biking and "ski" touring, and miss the bulk of the first swell. Came home Saturday and worked all Sunday morning. Hit the ledge in the afternoon and it was OH glass. More swell arrives tomorrow with great light offshore wind conditions. I'd post up pics, but I can no longer sign into the phone ap and getting pics onto my laptop is a bit more work than this guy can muster.

I surfed the St Regis on a SUP for one wave at mid shin height. Took one wave and rolled about 150 yards. My wife was pissed I ditched her way out in the bay by herself while we were on a date. The two dudes who were surfing the pint said I paddle in from the bay and grabbed the wave of the day and paddled away. Hehe.

I got a waist high day at the point at the St. Regis, which was fun on a big board. It absolutely killed me, because the night we arrived it was about head high, just a beautiful lined up right point. The sun was going down and it never got that good again.

I would love to surf that point at head high. Lots of rocks though.

Some real nice A-frames in Oregon today. But fuck the ski hill need to open to thin out the crowds. Most people I've ever seen in December.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OB (San Fran) was a lot of fun today (most crowded I have seen it as well) but plenty of room to spread out.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Took off mid morning on Wednesday and surfed South Garbage at Sunset Cliffs . Sets were close to double overhead but not consistent
    Lots of water moving by but only the big ones wanted to break . Caught 7 waves , all well overhead .
    Got slow so I moved over to Garbage . Much better . Even the smaller ones were fun on the inside

It's the CA mid winter high pressure and some swell showed up (along with a tsunami) so we ditched the corn skiing for some beach time. Air temp in the upper 50's and water in lower 50's, no wind about as nice as it gets in January. As others mentioned elsewhere, as busy as I've seen it in winter.

Was pretty big and messy until Sunday afternoon when the massive tide dropped and things were lining up at the beach. Caught a few rides with the whole family out and enjoyed a great sunset, appreciating how beautiful far Nor Cal is.

Gonna go catch sunrise, swell dropped off and another big tide incoming, we'll see...

I have only had a few sessions since late November due to being busy, skiing and lack of swell.

It has picked back up of late.

I got in a really nice late morning session at 32nd street. I really love the lower jetties during the winter. When HB and River Jetties are too big/walled the lower jetties can be shoulder high with great shape and some push. That size is actually one of my favorite for Newport. There was a group at the jetty, but there were fun peaks between the two jetties that weren't too crowded. It was the first really fun session I have had in a while. I really wish the upper Newport streets still got this good on the peaks not right at the jetty. It seems now that for the upper streets if you are not right at a jetty it is just a wall. The non-jetty sand bars for the lower streets are still fun.

The water is cold, even for winter, probably 57. I imagine the dawn patrol session this morning was not easy. I was cold even with the sun.