Page 213 of 224 FirstFirst ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 5587
    And i was hoping for this forecast....but the surf is more 4-6foot indo than Europe. Long period....
    And I'm not 100%yet. I was out of breath at solid headhigh a few days ago. I have no Business being out there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211008-102048_Firefox.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	388229
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Uh. The clean ups at the reef were big enough. I'd have died in mundaka I mean I duckdived all of them but was totally out of breath after 3 to 4 waves.

4 weeks of coughing do not resemble exercise and my lungs feel like 80%

I got fucking worked today. Out of my league. And I have cramp in my calves. How do you get calf cramp from surfing??

Edit. Gower (Wales) Friday, Woolacombe (N. Devon) yesterday. Friday was brutal & endless paddlefest, just a battle I'm not good enough for. Woolacombe had some bombs but they all closed out. The headhigh stuff had shape but to catch them in you had to be further inside. That meant the bomb sets took me out every 20 mins or so.

Edit2. It was special so MSW wrote about it.... https://magicseaweed.com/news/galler...-the-uk/12565/
    Last edited by Hayduke; 10-10-2021 at 10:03 AM.

I get the calf cramp surfing too. I think it’s how I hold my feet/toes while paddling around. In my case at least it’s definitely not from the actual standing/surfing part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get calf cramps. Usually in more solid surf when my entire body is working and I've been out for a while and it is cold 55F water. Not aways, but not terribly uncommon.

Heading down to SD this Sunday for a week with boards in tow. How's the long term swell looking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surfline Forecast Oct 18 2021.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	389065

Good enough Jtran Water has cooled down quite a bit this past week into the low 60's. Also, if you can swing it, would be much better to head down on Saturday. You'll thank me once you get South of Vegas. Doing that drive on Sunday is the absolute worst day of the week to do it because of all the SoCal'ers heading home from the weekend in Vegas. I've seen it backed up all the way from Primm to South Vegas
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post

Name:	Surfline Forecast Oct 18 2021.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	389065

Good enough Jtran Water has cooled down quite a bit this past week into the low 60's. Also, if you can swing it, would be much better to head down on Saturday. You'll thank me once you get South of Vegas. Doing that drive on Sunday is the absolute worst day of the week to do it because of all the SoCal'ers heading home from the weekend in Vegas. I've seen it backed up all the way from Primm to South Vegas
    We ended up booking flights so are flying Sunday through 10/25. Staying at GF's mom's house in escondido. Good call on that drive on Sundays though.

Unfortunately that means no boards in the car. If anyone has a board near the beach they wouldn't mind kicking me for an evening or two, and/or wants to get out for a session...

"... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 2.52.33 PM.png
Views: 521
Size:  65.4 KB

Still a ways out but seeing forecasts like this reminds me that fall is here and the fun has started! Almost 20ft at 20s could create the scariest haunted houses I've ever seen for halloween.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Great session today. Headed out solo and went to my usual spot. No one out, and it is a place that can feel lonely. On the walk to the cliff, the light ESE became a moderate SSE breeze and started to rib up the face. Otherwise it look killer. Bailed, as that wind is not so good for it. Drove 10 minutes up the coast to a left that is kind of tucked behind a corner and I figured at least the wind is blowing down the wave and not up it. It ws sheet glass when I arrived. Suited up and the breeze slowly began to rise and develop and ever so slight bump. The lineup cleared out in the first twenty minutes. And I ended up getting 10 plus waves in just over an hour. Fun drops, head high walls, fast and fairly long. Not epic by any means, juts consistent. I barely waited for a wave and got out because I was tired from basically just paddling and surfing for an hour. Bonus is I was on my shortboard. 3rd day on it since getting back out. I had been riding higher volume boards in general. At one point I thought I might never get back on this thing and I today I made it work in softer more moderate waves and that is super fun. It is soooooo much looser and snappier than my high volume boards. And it locks in. Stoked.
    Last edited by Ottime; 10-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    .... I figured at least the wind is blowing down the wave and not up it.....
    Ottime, what do you mean by this? Sounds like onshore vs offshore but I don't think you mean that?
    Also, what part of the US are you in? I always enjoy scoping coastlines with google maps.

No sea for me for over a week. Howling onshores & generally crap conditions make the drive not worth it. I've had a couple of sessions at my local break here www.thewave.com but it gets expensive and leaky wetsuit is really beginning to fuck me off. Time to shell out for some fancy #40 Yammamoto I reckon. (Any recommendations appreciated).

Near Santa Cruz, CA. I generally surf outside of the bay north and west of town. The coastline there mainly runs North to South and faces West, but there are slight differences from spot to spot, whether a cove, exposed reef, protected point, curved beach break etc.

The wind was southerly, and the first wave is a right-hander. It prefers no wind at all, but an east wind with a touch of south (100^) is straight offshore. It can handle a south east wind which if offshore, but up the wave, meaning in the opposite direction the surfer will travel. This can be great for holding up the tube. As that wind becomes more southerly, it is side shore, running up the wave. As this wind gets just a touch of west in it, it has a wide open fetch and can create small wind chops. These wind chops are ribs that travel up the wave, in the direction of the wind, and create resistance for a surfer, or little jumps depending how you look at things.

The other wave is a left, and on a submerged point, so the wind is bending the other way. Here a SE wind (135^) is directly offshore. As the wave turns more southwesterly, it is cross shore, but down the wave with the wind blowing in the same direction of the surfer. Think if biking or skiing downwind, The wind helps propel you down the wave, and those wind chops act like little ramps to move you down the wave.

Cross shore winds can be tough, but there are a lot of spots that are good in cross shores if you can find the right nook and cranny. Much of the surf in Hawaii gets cross shore wind. But the spots still work.

Don't know how bad your wetsuit is, but I just aqua sealed a bunch of pulled seams in mine and feeling much warmer. Wet and stormy here for the next week. Might find a window with little wind, but it looks bleak. And too wet to ride. Guess it is project time.

Today was off the charts fun north of the HB pier.

Head high, maybe a foot overhead on the sets. The tide was coming up, which I thought would swamp things, but that was not the case. I was actually going right mostly, but the lefts were fun too. A couple of big cleanup sets came through, I got punished a bit. It was super clean, which was nice. The water appears clean after the oil spill.

Name:	processed-94d5598c-d970-420c-8a04-1386227281af_n12iinl1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	317.8 KB 
ID:	389814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	processed-76928308-172b-4c89-876f-a005355b51b7_jblUZjLy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	389815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	processed-89f8f84d-26aa-4f9e-9ced-5f68a3d8a755_XBIyqSQr.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	389816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	processed-0a64586b-253a-47c9-8e87-5c06368cb98a_ZaQ8p3Yi.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	389817
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Woah it's Solid overhead pushing double in the sets. Im not sure whether I belong there today...

Edit: ok the normal sets Look Managable...Attachment 388228

Edit2: no I'll go to the reef. Double oh cleanups and me being half healthy and easily being out of breath don't go well together...
    That looks amazing, like a freight train.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    That looks amazing, like a freight train.
    It looks ridiculous!
    More like indo than europe.
    so sick

Cleaned up decently today. Shocking. Real swell forecast for Monday. 15@17 forecast. Mavs swell, except for the local conditions won't be ideal.

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	390455
    Been down in Oaxaca for the past few weeks. Too good for photos.

I heart points.

Especially clean warm sand bottom points.

Ocean looked wonky again today. MTB trails were prime. Maybe I'll get in the ocean tomorrow.

The fall here has been way windier then typical. Still waiting for our good weather. We had maybe three days of chill winds and warm days.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	390455
    Been down in Oaxaca for the past few weeks. Too good for photos.
    Wow!!!!!

The last few days have been insane in Orange County. About as good as it can possibly get. Unfortunately I have been insanely busy. Yesterday crushed me, it was 4-7 and orange on Surfline in both HB and Trestles and Newport was going nuts. I was just too swamped and simply couldn't spare the time.

I got in a window this morning in HB. I surfed south of the pier and it was still lots of fun head high and peaky, clean with good shape. It was a nice consolation prize after missing out on the last couple of days.

I have the rest of you guys in California have gotten something out of this. I worked until close to midnight last night so that I could get a window today and regain some of my sanity.

It's probably best not to look at the cameras when you know you just can't get out, but I just can't help it. I used to look at them in my office even when I knew I couldn't possibly get a session in for several days. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist.

I check the cam frequently in SC because my kids are out there. So today Surfline has opted to give me the cam for free!? Something must be broken because it's just staying on. I don't have a pay account.

Looks like a contest going on at steamers. Guys a rippin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I get calf cramps. Usually in more solid surf when my entire body is working and I've been out for a while and it is cold 55F water. Not aways, but not terribly uncommon.
    Was gonna ask if anyone has ways to avoid the calf cramps? Best I've found is hydration and stretch well before. But I'm in a 6/5/4 suit with 40F water.
    When you pop up and immediately fall over because both calves cramped it is time to go in (and try to get out of you suit in single digit temps)

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Wow!!!!!

The last few days have been insane in Orange County. About as good as it can possibly get. Unfortunately I have been insanely busy. Yesterday crushed me, it was 4-7 and orange on Surfline in both HB and Trestles and Newport was going nuts. I was just too swamped and simply couldn't spare the time.

I got in a window this morning in HB. I surfed south of the pier and it was still lots of fun head high and peaky, clean with good shape. It was a nice consolation prize after missing out on the last couple of days.

I have the rest of you guys in California have gotten something out of this. I worked until close to midnight last night so that I could get a window today and regain some of my sanity.

It's probably best not to look at the cameras when you know you just can't get out, but I just can't help it. I used to look at them in my office even when I knew I couldn't possibly get a session in for several days. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist.
    Wednesday sunset at Trestles was perfect as it gets. Plus warm water, and an orange marmalade sunset.

Today was similar, but a lot smaller. Empty though. And the sunset was more canary yellow.

It's been fun. Stoked for all the stoke going around!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I check the cam frequently in SC because my kids are out there. So today Surfline has opted to give me the cam for free!? Something must be broken because it's just staying on. I don't have a pay account.

Looks like a contest going on at steamers. Guys a rippin' it.
    There was a contest in fact. I was up the coast a bit on the 29th, and a buddy paddled out saying he had thought the ocean would be too messy up north and stopped at the Lane and said, "a million guys out and six paddling for every wave". The contest was the 30th/31st and I guess it started busy on the 28th.

Had to get work done today. Missed some solid overhead surf, but it was a bit wonky and the shoulder does not love wonky. Tomorrow should drop to about head high plus. And clean up. No wind out thee right now.

Been a ton of surf and good amount of weather this fall.

As for calf cramps, lots of water and keeping the session within reason. The cold is work. 40F is nippy.