Page 185 of 224 FirstFirst ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 5587
    If you can afford it the best surf school in CA are ucsd and pepperdine

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    If you say so. I would rather have Abs just a short walk away from the dorm at PLNC then a truck down and up the hill for Scripps/Blacks and driving to Malibu from Pepperdine, really?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Blacks is all time when going off... who cares about the walk.... the drive to the beach from pepperdine... omg the horror.

San Diego received it's first legit NW swell of the winter today. Head high and pluses on the sets. Kind of spooky surfing in the fog at the start of the morning. Glad the sun finally came out.

Name:  delmar 10-27-18.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  181.7 KB
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Looks like more NW arriving tomorrow for us. I think this one is Steele and might not et down to you.

Damn souths keep pumping. Chose to chase the 2.3@17 SW instead of the 4.2@11 NW today. Found plenty of barrels and fast steep sections. Really enjoying the Slab as a quad in that type of wave. Gets in early, and up to speed quickly. Just want to chop about 8” off the nose and make that thing short.

Still looking for crisp juice. Town had some crispness, as did the points west. North had sickness on it again.

Fucking been waves head high or more for a weeks now. Autumn rules.

Waves were cranking this morning at my home break. Buoy was 10 ft 14 seconds. Paddled out and the outside sets were double overhead plus. Caught a few good ones before a closeout caught all of us inside. One board snapped and one leash snapped after we all took the wave on the head. I duck dived under it and miraculously came through and could feel it pulling me back in. Should have epic surf for the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    That's the most kook statement ever. Really, Blacks and Malibu? Two of the most crowded and overrated spots on all of California?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Lots of great surf up n down pch and sd...

Question for all you surfers living with too many boards in small spaces: I'm living in an apartment above a garage. Plenty of room for me. For the past four months, I've been keeping my boards in the garage, but now the homeowners will be putting their cars in the garage for the winter, dramatically cutting down my space for four boards under 6'6 and a 9'6 board. Any suggestions to make a compact rack or hanging system that minimizes holes in the wall? I can put boards in my apartment, but that's up and down stairs, which ensures some dings. Thanks. Thoughts?

Me, I would bring them in the house if the garage is out. Would the landlord be opposed to you putting a rack up on the garage wall to access the boards? I made mine from two pieces of 2X4 and wooden dowel stock. Cut two pieces of 2X4 to the length needed. Drill holes for .50" dowel stock into the narrow edge side of the 2X4 which you rest the boards on after wrapping with pipe insulation. Mount 2X4's into wall studs with two screws. Easy to patch the holes once you move.

I have a horizontal rack basically just like described above. I’ve also built vertical ones basically the same way. With a vertical, you want some sort of soft foam for the rails to sit in. Vertical could work if you hung the long boards from the ceiling. If it is open rafter, all you need are eye hooks and a bungee cord. I hang my longboard under my deck that way.

Is keeping boards outside safe where you are? Like, do you live off the road and don’t see visitors? You can attach a horizontal rack to the outside of the structure. Or build a frame for it, and cover with a tarp. Just want to keep the sun off the boards and ideally off the tarp.

Outside is an option, but it gets so damn cold here. I think I'll be installing a vertical rack in the apt, after a little shifting of furniture. boards and skis will welcome visitors nicely i suppose.

Very fun mid-day session at 28th street today. I had a window and thought the tide would be too high, but it was head high and clean, lined up 100 yard lefts off the jetty. There were only two other guys at the jetty. An awesome sleeper session. When you get a Newport jetty head high with almost no one out that is a rare treat.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Question for all you surfers living with too many boards in small spaces: I'm living in an apartment above a garage. Plenty of room for me. For the past four months, I've been keeping my boards in the garage, but now the homeowners will be putting their cars in the garage for the winter, dramatically cutting down my space for four boards under 6'6 and a 9'6 board. Any suggestions to make a compact rack or hanging system that minimizes holes in the wall? I can put boards in my apartment, but that's up and down stairs, which ensures some dings. Thanks. Thoughts?
    I bought some racks off eBay. Think they were wakeboard. Not cheap. Classy metal brackets with padded arms. Keeps the boards horizontal at an angle, each rack holds four. The one in the living room has three big guns and a shortboard, so they are pretty strong. Make sure you mount into studs, obviously.

Anyone else get some today...?

In Cabo this coming Sunday through Thursday for a quick Baja vacation. Forecast looking decent. Then Costa Rica at the end of November / early December. Pumped to get in the ocean again.

Yaaaa pavones

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    In Cabo this coming Sunday through Thursday for a quick Baja vacation. Forecast looking decent. Then Costa Rica at the end of November / early December. Pumped to get in the ocean again.
    Dude, get yourself to the east cape, forecast looks epic this week, scoring!!

We landed in Costa Rica Saturday night, just had an awesome session at Guiones this morning. Beach break lining up with some super fun long rides. Now if we can just figure out a way to move here...I'll be here until December, where you headed to Sluff?

There's a huge house made into a small hotel next to our surf house that's for sale for only 200k in pavones.... best break in cr. Anyways sad day to see the Malibu coast all burned.... Leo is gone.

Today was good. Season opener for sure. Solid glass. Tomorrow has promise.

What a great two days of surfing. So much fun to get back out in the juice for the first time since breaking my ankle last September. Solid over head, clean and slabs right on the reef. Ride the step up and was not disappointed with having either a 6.6 or the pin tail. That thing handles the speed and steep drops so well.

Funny thing is the locals got chased out of the water by visitors. I surfed a session in the morning and afternoon both days. In the first three sessions I probably surfed with 20 different people and knew 17 of them. One was a friend of a friend and two others paddled our realizing they were in way over their heads and left quickly. It is that sort of spot. We don’t get a lot of visitors.

Until Friday afternoon. The nearby, more well known, reefs were packed and we began to get over flow. Holy shit are people fucking impatient. I joined John in the water at 3. Ian paddled our at 3:10. Then, a 3:30 a truck load of 3 showed up, then 2 more and then two more paddled in from the north. Suddenly it was the most crowded I’ve seen in the past two days, with a bunch of dudes not knowing we’re to sit, or how to sit, or how to wait or not paddle when someone deeper is going. Quickly turned into a shit show, so when I caught a nice bomb that wrapped across the whole reef, I decided to head in and be early picking up my son. I actually had to slalom around 3-4 folks on my drop and through the Irish part of a 3’ OH barreling peak. Just felt dangerous out there and I don’t want another injury.

I get to the top of the cliff and my friend Tina is getting her ear talked off by girlfriends #1 and #2 about how their men are just starting to get good at surfing. I though about saving her, but instead grabbed my shit and got out of there. Changed at the car. A few minutes later comes John, who also skipped out on Tina (and that is his girlfriend). Then came Tina and then Ian.

Those looks are lucky Mike was not out. He is kind of a dick and for sure would have taken violence to their vehicles.

Never seen a vibe move from chill and get bombs to fucked so quickly in my life.

Oh well. More swell Sunday and Monday. Now I’m on childcare until then anyway.

First big winter swell in NE last friday. Had the day off from school and got beat up surfing in Rye. A few mega large cleanup sets came through, pushing everyone to the rocks. Lots of carnage. Maybe spooked myself...looking forward to the next storm.

Always nice having the day off during a good swell.

Wife got home early from Houston and I got back out last night. Swell is way down, but still head high to a touch overhead. Such a fun size. Ride the 35L FireWire and it worked quite well. I’m learning how to use all that volume in juicy surf where it is not needed. Thinking I might keep it.

Odd board for me. Lots of volume and a 6.4. Still it has worked as a quad in fast hollow surf as well as slower, mushier chest high plus surf. And it worked as a thruster in head high juice. Seems pretty versatile. Took a while to get used to all that volume and wider tail.

Based on that I took a chance and ordered a Evolved. Hard to beat $300 for a semi custom shape. Will report here on first impressions and ride after it comes in.

Jajajaaaaa^^^^^^

Was in East cape last week. Caught a slight south swell. Kiting and surfing with Jerry Lopez was a treat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kite.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	602.3 KB 
ID:	256186

Got some today! We’re in Costa Rica for a few weeks, been coming down for several years. We love Playa Guiones, it’s not a critical wave but it can be super fun beach break. Dropped the grom of at day camp (she surfs, rides horses, looks at birds, etc) while the wife and I get to go shred. Just lapped it up for 2 hours. Wifey had her best session ever, going down the line, finally turning off the lip while I snagged set wave after set wave. Fun size, shoulder to head high, zero stress. Both of us stoked out of our minds. Now sipping a local IPA while the sun goes down. FKNA!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums