Page 159 of 224 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 5589
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Never too big. Especially at low tide. I've never seen New Brighton exceed 10' faces. And the tail end never more than 6'. And that is on a huuuudge NW swell. And that wave is the best thing this town has to offer if it ever gets bigger than head high. Roping 300 yards of barrel fest.

My biking is pretty fun as well, but I don't think I've been out for a ride in 6 years. Or since my son was born. Any free time has me in the water or working on the home. And occasionally I get a ski day.

Is your son here through summer or headed east? While we have better summer surf, warm water and New England is something worth visiting.
    Yeah, when it's been big he is down that way. Not sure if they've gone all the way, but the hook area anyway.

I think a lot has changed with the bike scene in 6 years. Many new trails just off campus. They're definitely made for the new bikes though! Super fun! Good cross training for the surf, no doubt. Get those lungs pumping!

Yeah, he'll be back east for summer. Working on logistics now...kind of a shitshow. They still haven't landed a place to live next year yet either. Pretty tough for 4 knuckleheads to have someone rent their place to them. I remember those days all too well.

Anyone else get some today...?

Do you mean the trails behind the upper campus and water tanks? Or other ones. There was never a lack of good riding. Just not my favorite thing. With less free time, I just prefer to take out the longboard if it is too small. At first it was just a flat tire, left un repaired. By the time I fixed it, the bike mojo was gone. I still might pick it up again. But there is plenty of surf.

If the Hook is head high, New Brighton will be just about a foot. It is another mile plus of point breaks tucked into the pit of the Bay. Past Capitola.

Several swells in the water today. The WNW picked up. S seemed smaller in the morning. And less consistent. Had a short window to surf and did not find the right spot. Both swells have picked up this afternoon and it is still glassy. Hope tomorrow morning fairs well with the wind (a south flow has picked up bumping up spots not protected by kelp). Swell should be pumping. By spring standards.

Just drove by the Lane and it looks Shoulder high plus there.

Got in a rare mid-day session today. Surfed the 32-36 area in Newport. Waist high, occasionally pushing chest high, but with a decent shoulder in some places. Only a few people out. I wore my long sleeve spring and was fine. I just got a 6'8" funboard for the small days and it was a blast. Even though I always surf beefy boards the extra-glide on this one was great, even the waist high ones were fun. I forgot how much fun a small day with decent shape and no one out can be when you are on a fat board.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post

Yeah, he'll be back east for summer. Working on logistics now...kind of a shitshow. They still haven't landed a place to live next year yet either. Pretty tough for 4 knuckleheads to have someone rent their place to them. I remember those days all too well.
    I went to UCSB. It is literally right on the ocean. Just bordering UCSB to the north is Isla Vista, or IV. IV is essentially all students, it feels like an extension of campus. Because IV is pretty much only students we never had that problem. The only thing was, landlords would only rent to you for the full 12 months, so you could not just rent for the school year. That was fine with me. I always stayed there for the summer. Go back to upstate New York or live in a community your own age of people with parties, hot girls and the beach walking distance. Not a tough choice. I usually took a summer school class and worked part-time. Summer was great, about 40% of the people so enough to have fun without being as crowded as the school year. Although SB has small summer surf, Sands beach, north of Isla Vista, 5 minute bike ride, would get waist high windswell pretty often. We would also head down to Ventura or northern Malibu from time to time. I am a lucky man, but sometimes I wish I could go back to those days for a couple of weeks. Summer in IV is truly heaven. I guess the surf could be more consistent, but it is still hard to argue with.

Last summer my wife and I spent a weekend in Santa Barbara. On Saturday we drove up to IV so I could walk around and check it out. As we walked along Del Playa (the street by the ocean) I saw a kid in the clothes he was wearing the night before arrive home from his hookup. His buddies high-fived him and asked for details. Another guy walked outside with a longboard, said Sands was rideable. Hook-up kid said to paddle out that he would meet him. There was a keg on the lawn with the tap still attached. Plastic cups strewn everywhere. Sublime (April 29th 1992) was playing on the stereo. If not for the girl 50 feet ahead of us texting it easily could have been 20 years ago. Come to think of it, you guys are parents. I'm probably not advertising UCSB as a great place to spend your money on education. It is a good school, and I did get a good education, but you do have to learn to balance things. It does have a high flunk-out rate. Then again, if there are not distractions which can limit study time how much fun can a place be?
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Ott, yeah up by the water tanks and drop down toward hwy9 and I think it's becoming an issue because they are being built illegally. But they sure are fun!

LDD, I know exactly where you're talking about because we spent a couple days in SB and toured UCSB. That campus is insane with the amount of bikes! I was scared driving around that place, but what an epic spot. Waffles...that was my other take away.

We also toured Cal Poly and then UCSC. He threw an app into SD, but really never had an interest in socal.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post

LDD, I know exactly where you're talking about because we spent a couple days in SB and toured UCSB. That campus is insane with the amount of bikes! I was scared driving around that place, but what an epic spot. Waffles...that was my other take away.
    The biking in IV is crazy. Back when I was there it could be tough to drive. Many bikes don't stop at stop signs, it just wasn't done, so you have to wait for a stop for a while in a car sometimes. It just was not convention to stop on a bike, not saying it's right, it just wasn't done. I'm glad I remembered that last time I was there. Close to the hour, when classes let out, the part of IV with the restaurants and shops becomes crazy as students bike from campus to get a bite to eat. Definitely nuts. You get used to it. The number of bikes on the bike paths around campus is crazy. Most students live either on campus, usually just freshman year, or in IV. It is all biking distance, and campus parking is pricey, so most people bike to class. Those bike paths are a zoo.

Funny you mention bikes and IV. I was there once, maybe close to 20 years ago, and that is what I remembered most: bikes. Had a fun three days down there surfing Deveroiux and getting one decent day at Rincon. The UCSB group I crashed with definitely partied harder than I did. I was a few years out of college, but holy shit, that was way heavier partying than I ever experienced at NYU. We had NYC, which was its own party scene and gateway to anything you might have wanted, but the college scene was nothing like what I saw at SB.

jackstraw, some variation of those trails has been there for years. Z Trail had a huge terrain park on it even a decade ago. I aways felt like those trails were in the semi-illegal realm. Got a sense they were illegal because they were on UC land and the regents did not want to be libel for when people got hurt (and they do), but I've never ever seen them patrolled, man made features seem to stay around for years, and they are used a shit ton. Actually, on of my favorite rides is out the door, hit the bike path to Wilder, climb up through Lost Cabin and Eucalyptus to Empire Grade, cross into campus and take the first left which follows the general direction of the road. At that point is is a slow climb, almost like cross country. I've never been more than about 4 miles up that trail, but when you turn around, it is a flow trail back to campus. Only wish there were some sort of map of the area so I could make a loop. Once back on campus, I cross back over Empire Grade and hit Mailboxes (also semi illegal) and back into Wilder. I've always through all the talk I hear about how awesome Wilder is is really talk about all the fantastic illegal trails just outside the park boundary. Trails in the park are okay, but nothing to travel for. They are kind of nice being 1.2 miles from my garage door. Even though I have not had a serious ride since my son was born 6 years ago. Had to trim back on play time significantly, so typically only surf and ski these days.

Bike bug hit me hard in SLC. Had a couple fun days on the bike in SD while I waited for the surf to come around. And when it sorta did (always hung around wait high or less, but had my LB) I had such a blast. Completely bit by the surf bug again. Gotta get back to SD for work more often

Really want to do a combo bike/surf long weekend in SC soon. Flights are consistently cheap from SLC to San Jose, cheap bike rentals at SC bikes..only issue is probably would need a rental car that could carry bikes and boards around. Unless the SC bike factory has trails rideable from the front door?

ott - are SC summer surf/conditions pretty consistent up through the fall, or is there a month that's better for wind and waves than others in the next 4ish?

Ott, pretty much spot on, imo. Wilder has a couple fun ones like the Cabin and Zane. I don't really know much else. The other side is where it's at. I could tell some were very old, and some were newer. So many trails it was hard to figure out which way to go. The Pogonip up over by Golf Club rd is a perfect up for such a steep slope.

I really want to hit demonstration once it opens back up.

Jtran, you can ride right from SC front door to Wilder or take the Sewer line straight up into campus quicker. Another Bike Shop is right up the street and they demo bikes as well. I do longer term rentals from them. And ya, the car rental for the bike and board is critical.

Next four months are a wash. If you can book a week in advance, wait for a string of solid south swells headed this way along with either a big high pressure set up over the state (light offshores when Santa Ana's set in down south) or a period of Southerly flow.

Or just wait out spring. We are in a typical spring patterns and unless you like to be attached to a kite, you are limited to what surf is in town. Which is fine if you like surfing close to others. Being from SoCal you might not mind it.

We don't tend to have NW ground swell until September. Some time October. Although we will occasionally get them in summer. We can get decent wind swell esp of the Mendocino gradient is tight and we have a slight eddy (ssw) flow. A lot of it is luck. SOutherlies are most common mid late summer just like SCal. We prefer a wide angle and anything too steep really limits where it will work.

But, if you get here during off shore, slack or light south flow a lot of places north and west of town light up. You could
    Be surfing a high quality wave by yourself (and a few whites).

You still In SoCal? Moderate south hitting us here.

Edit: bikes. Great idea to rent from ABS and ride right to the trails. I prefer the climb through Wilder vs Campus. Cabin is my favorite trail there for sure. Short tho. As far as car rental, but a soft rack, rent at airport, carry board, rent bike - even for multi day, they will allow you to store at shop (just need to get it there while open). New Fairfield Inn is in the prefect spot for a bike vacation. Ride right out the door. Good central spot for surf excursions, and really good beer a block away. It is basically in a parking lot/ industrial space at the edge of town, so not picturesque, but I imagine some rooms have ocean and farm views.

Great advice, thanks ott and jack. good to know about bike riding and storage. surfboard with a soft rack def. a great idea.

ott - moved to SLC last August, but work is still in SD so I get down every once in a while. Was down for an entire week 2 weeks ago which gave me enough time to get a few sessions in for the first time since moving.

Yeah, knew you were in SLC, just was not sure how long you were in SD. Thought it might be a several week gig for some reason.

I'll actually be down in SD in a few weeks. Don't think I'll have a board with me. My wife has a conference and I'll be with my son all day. I could fit in an evening session. Is there a place to rent boards, especially in the evening? Wondering if I should pack my 2mil with me.

Yeah, knew you were in SLC, just was not sure how long you were in SD. Thought it might be a several week gig for some reason.

I'll actually be down in SD in a few weeks. Don't think I'll have a board with me. My wife has a conference and I'll be with my son all day. I could fit in an evening session. Is there a place to rent boards, especially in the evening? Wondering if I should pack my 2mil with me.
    Beyond the foam board rentals that are near the beaches I've never really seen actual board rentals, honestly. I'd imagine Bird's Surf Shop rents, or some place like Hanson's in Encinitas (if you're in north county). If you're in/near PB or Oceanside I've got a longboard and a fish that are with friends in those spots respectively that you could pick up. PM me if you want.

Amazing morning. Kingdouches favorite size of knee to waist perfect rolling playful 200 yard plus long board rides. Cowells is going off with the south swells right now. I think he bar is even better than last year. Made the right call having and hour to surf. Took the shortboard out to the slot yesterday, and while I got a few, so much hassling and too many for too few and too short to make it feel like exercise.

Today was different. It takes a while to paddle 200 yards and it was consistent enough and with plenty of missed insiders it would often be three waves before I got all the way back outside again.

It's been small but fun here in Newport recently. Mostly waist high, occasional chest high, but good shape. I got a lunch hour session yesterday between 48 and 52 and it was fun. Peaky, with good shoulders, both lefts and rights, and not many people out. I wish I could surf midday mid-week more often. The water is warm enough that I was fine in a long sleeved spring. I'm savoring being able to park by the beach, with summer coming leaving at 11 am for a Saturday session won't work anymore, at least not without searching for parking for a half-hour.

Amazing morning. Kingdouches favorite size of knee to waist perfect rolling playful 200 yard plus long board rides. Cowells is going off with the south swells right now..
    A couple yrs ago was when I saw Cowells going off for the first time. Meaning just perfect super long longboard rides. It was like you'd see in a magazine. Unreal...especially for a kook like me.

Now my kid sent me a pic of Nat riding Cowells when it was really going off! Couldn't believe is was the same wave! ...barreled with the wharf in the background.

I keep getting emails about houses for sale in SC. Today was this gem of 480sqft with no foundation for only 740k
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...gge9&3col=true

Yeah, housing has gone off the hook again. We bought in early 2012, and out home value has increased nearly 60%. Insane. We got real lucky with timing. No way we could afford what we have even 8 months after we bought.

Not that it is cheap, but if you are willing to be 15-30 minutes up the mountain side, you get a lot more for your money. And I know a few people up there who built their own trails to connect with the semi legal so they bike right from their garage onto trails.

Sure, they have to drive for surf (or anything except meth) but I typically drive to the surf as well. Much prefer the surf and crowds up north and west.

Another very fun day out there. Not a crisp, a bit higher tide, mixed with NW mid period swell and more like chest high on the sets. Super fun. Lots of party waves.

Re: pics of Nat. If you are looking into the tube and the wharf is in the background that is a different wave. If it is a right, that is Casinos, just east of the wharf. Not sure what the left is called, but We refer to it as Cowells Beach. Those both can get super fun, if finicky, in the winter. If he is in the tube down the line, with the wharf in the background that is what I'm surfing or Cowells Point.

Want to get my kid out there this coming week with afternoon low tide. Nice gentle surf on the inside. It is all gentle, but like super gentle.

Yeah, I have no clue!

Where is this one?

Anyone else get some today...?

That's the beach break. And that is a big day for that spot. Bet Middle Peak was 20' that day. With enough energy in the water, it will start wedging and refracting off the wharf pillions. Sand bottom has to be set up right, but in a good season there is a reliable wedge, barrel, air ramp that sets up there. What is kind of cool about that spot (and a few others) is that it is so well tucked away that it is often clean and lined up when much of town is victory at sea and unrideable.

Another day at the point. Smaller. Plenty of waves with ankle high take offs that build to knee high 200 yard long curls. A few bigger waves today, but those small ones were killer. You'd catch them thinking "no way this even breaks", trim in, sit low and wait. If you lined it up right it would just suddenly stand up and zip.

Although my favorite wave was a stomach high ride from the outside all the way in with no one else on the wave. So much room to play.

A continued run of good surf in OC. Nothing spectacular, but shoulder high with good shape in Newport. I will never complain about that.

I went up the coast today and it was not good shape but a hair over head, and for the most part not as much fun as longboarding perfect peelers the last four days. Would go back to that tomorrow but tide is high in the morning during my window. If the winds back off a touch more I might find some fun waves. Otherwise it looks like I'm due for a trip to the hardware store to get shit to finish some projects.

Pavones going off the last few days

Went in early yesterday so that I could get a mid-day session. It was a blast. Surfed 36th, shoulder high lefts working off the jetty with left peaks swinging wide. There were two guys at the jetty, so I got the peaks that were swinging wide, which were just as good, and had them to myself. My best session in a while. There are some good sandbars in Newport right now. I guess I better enjoy mid-day sessions on the lower jetties while I can, blackball is coming.

Nice little run in New England this week. Hope for another day or two of this swell. Anyone else getting out?