Glad I am not a G Loomis fanboy

Their new catalog is out, they are doubling the price of the expeditor warranty service from $50 -$100 and their new rod costs $700 -$1160, and one person described it as "looking like a $10 spinning rod looked like 30 years ago at a sporting goods store"

...;-), yeah prices for the high mod graphite now approaching canoe prices of 80s(which were inflating then)...;-)

They are still cheaper than a Helios. But what is this "for casting SMALL dries and nymphs" shit? Who da fuck makes a rod that only casts light stuff. $700 for a rod that noodles pushing a #6 fly or a big nymph and shot? That's not progress and it won't find a place in western boats, thats for sure. We throw big stuff and wind is normal.

fuck, for that kind of money you can easily get a nicely built bamboo rod, and support a local craftsman while your at it...

Is the $100 expeditor just for their new rod? Their website still says $50. At $50, it's not a bad deal (I used it to upgrade my broken $200 Metolius to a $420 Eastfork and had a new rod in 2 days) but at $100 it's a rip.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Is the $100 expeditor just for their new rod? Their website still says $50. At $50, it's not a bad deal (I used it to upgrade my broken $200 Metolius to a $420 Eastfork and had a new rod in 2 days) but at $100 it's a rip.
    Yes, their website still says $50, the increase is for 2011. Out of curiousity I called and they said that the increase will probably take affect next month.

At $50 it is a great deal. Would be the best warranty in the business if it wasn't taking people 6 months to get their rods months back.

I love it when the big companies false inflate. It opens up the market for small new competition, look at the ski industry. When the $500 Rossi became the $875 rossi's and out of nowhere came the $425 bro model, the $550 4frnt's and the famed 333's.

Dibs on not fishing the 333 6wt.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperGaperWithaCherryOnTop View Post
    Yes, their website still says $50, the increase is for 2011. Out of curiousity I called and they said that the increase will probably take affect next month.

At $50 it is a great deal. Would be the best warranty in the business if it wasn't taking people 6 months to get their rods months back.
    Don't worry, they all plan on following suit.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Wait for a sale and go here-
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

Octoberfest is usually a really good sale.

Let's think about it this way.

Standard repair services from Sage went up from $30 to $50 from 2002 to 2010. Turnaround time for those in Northern California is two to three weeks. Standard repair services for most other brands is about the same. Loomis has had the same charge for the Expeditor service since it started the program. I am surprised that Loomis has not changed that fee over the years.

The Loomis Expeditor program was designed for convenience. Pay a slightly higher fee, and one will get a new rod in one business day. That person gets a rod quickly and does not have to wait a few weeks for a repair. A perk of the program is that the replacement rod can be sent to anywhere in the USA (at least for Loomis USA customers). So if the owner is on a trip, the rod can be shipped to a lodge.

One thing that people don't keep track of is shipping. To send a 4 pound package (rod and tube) overnight from Loomis' distribution center in Irvine, CA, to Boston, MA, costs $68.69 (UPS). It could be less with its commercial discount. Also Loomis has to pay anyone who has to handle the rod replacement (customer service reps, shipping and receiving). The costs add up. Loomis is not out to lose money.

As I mentioned earlier, the Expeditor program was designed for convenience. For that convenience, there always will be a higher fee. If a person who doesn't want to pay that fee, he can always have a standard service done and have a longer wait and miss out on some fishing.

Denny

Loomis is basically trying to squeeze as much money out of their fly fishing section as possible. They fired all their reps, axed expeditor in effect, and jacked up prices. Steve Rajeff was considering leaving and if he would have Loomis was going to axe the fly side all together. I'm guessing that when he does they will go strictly conventional.

To boot TFO picked up a lot of orders at Icast for their Gary Loomis designed conventional lines hurting Loomis even further.

Not surprising, just a sign of the times. We just got back from Icast, very eye opening. If you're not Basspro or Cabelas then times are tough. We are sending more and more big name shops to collections all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    We just got back from Icast, very eye opening. If you're not Basspro or Cabelas then times are tough. We are sending more and more big name shops to collections all the time.
    Not exactly true, plenty of shops here on the East Coast are doing fine.
    Mostly due to sector targeting but also being better than anyone else in the country.

The Rajeff comment isn't wholly true btw.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

The Rajeff comment isn't wholly true btw.
    Weird, since it came from the horses mouth.

Not exactly true, plenty of shops here on the East Coast are doing fine.
    Mostly due to sector targeting but also being better than anyone else in the country.
    Sadly there are maybe a dozen top tier shops left in the country. We are finally sending a shop that used to be in the top 2 or 3 10 years ago to collections. We've given them all the time in the world but they are behind 2 years in payments. Certain big distributors are getting to the same point. Interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny1969 View Post
    Let's think about it this way.

Standard repair services from Sage went up from $30 to $50 from 2002 to 2010. Turnaround time for those in Northern California is two to three weeks. Standard repair services for most other brands is about the same. Loomis has had the same charge for the Expeditor service since it started the program. I am surprised that Loomis has not changed that fee over the years.

The Loomis Expeditor program was designed for convenience. Pay a slightly higher fee, and one will get a new rod in one business day. That person gets a rod quickly and does not have to wait a few weeks for a repair. A perk of the program is that the replacement rod can be sent to anywhere in the USA (at least for Loomis USA customers). So if the owner is on a trip, the rod can be shipped to a lodge.

One thing that people don't keep track of is shipping. To send a 4 pound package (rod and tube) overnight from Loomis' distribution center in Irvine, CA, to Boston, MA, costs $68.69 (UPS). It could be less with its commercial discount. Also Loomis has to pay anyone who has to handle the rod replacement (customer service reps, shipping and receiving). The costs add up. Loomis is not out to lose money.

As I mentioned earlier, the Expeditor program was designed for convenience. For that convenience, there always will be a higher fee. If a person who doesn't want to pay that fee, he can always have a standard service done and have a longer wait and miss out on some fishing.

Denny
    While I agree with the essence of what you say, in general I disagree with you
    If a couple of years ago they increased it from $50 to $65, and this year increased it from 65 to say 75 or 80, I dont think there would be as much comment. Yes, I agree with you that it is about convenience, and if you do not like it you can just use there regular warranty.

But what you say about the current $50 fee is wrong. If you want 2 day service, it costs $65, and if you want overnight (in the US) it is not $50, but $90.

Next month 2 day will be $115, and overnight will be $140. Have you seen what a FUGLY rod the NRX is? And it is over $1100 for a spey rod!! Gloomis people are taking alot of kicks while they are down!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Weird, since it came from the horses mouth.

Sadly there are maybe a dozen top tier shops left in the country. We are finally sending a shop that used to be in the top 2 or 3 10 years ago to collections. We've given them all the time in the world but they are behind 2 years in payments. Certain big distributors are getting to the same point. Interesting times.

Who do you work for? Tiefast?

Nope. But they seem like good people.

Don't know GLoomis specifics...
    Last edited by steved; 07-23-2010 at 06:45 PM.