TR - The Sierra are full of awesome.

Ok so its only sort of skiing related.

I'm spending a few weeks here so this should be updated when I have the interwebs.

I haven't been climbing as much as I would have liked so far this summer, but after spending a week in Reno for Rope Access training (with Dave Nettle and Greg Mayer if any of you sierra mags know them, awesome dudes) it's time to get out.

First up is the North Arete of Bear Creek Spire. It goes at 5.8 and summits at 13,734 ft. It's aesthetic from the approach to the descent. Absolutely some of the best terrain I've ever been in.

Little Lakes Valley

Nate and the route covered with a bit of light

Last thing I saw before I went to bed.

The valley at 5am

Low angle chimney right after the crux of 5.8 offwidth.

The entire valley

Cool flowers at ~13,500

Nice Diving Board

Sweet lines still in if you're willing to hike a long way.

Summit Block - an airy move to perch yourself on that.

Rapping through the steep section

Taking the easy way down!

Face Shot!

The colors are so amazing here.

More to come...
    Last edited by brice618; 07-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Looks awesome!

firstly, for powdork, sierra is both singular and plural...

second, did you come into the patagonia shop and ask where the skala training center was?

If so, you probably asked me...

Haha yes I did! Maggots are everywhere.

Edit: whoops on the Sierra mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post

Face Shot!
    how many gnar points is that?! way to get some face shots in july man....
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

The cool flowers are polemonium aka sky pilot--or maybe you know that. My favorite because a) they're beautiful and b) only found very high

nagging school marm here - was going to mention the "Sierras" thing - people need to stop it right now

Nettle is a good guy and and incredible climber - and skier. He's been knocking off some of the best routes in the Sierra for years. One of the strongest people I've ever met. Few can keep his pace for long, and he's known for epic marathon sessions. Lucky to learn from someone like that.

have fun, be safe
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

nice outing. beautiful area!

Sweet lines still in if you're willing to hike a long way.
    feather peak is the mid-ground ridgeline peak with the prominent and beautiful couloir.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    firstly, for powdork, sierra is both singular and plural...
    he said more to come, so i was going under the assumption the next installment would be from the Sierra Blanca, Sierra de Guadarrama, Sierra Madre, or the like. If it was 2 or more ranges named Sierra, that would be the correct time to use Sierras, would it not?

The colors are so amazing here.

More to come...
    That's usually the first, easy to get to, lake to freeze every fall.

Welcome to the Range of Light.

Haha yes I did! Maggots are everywhere.

Edit: whoops on the Sierra mistake.
    heh. glad you found it. sticks out because Nettle came in not long after with his skala shirt on so I asked him...

jesus that sombitch has some big forearms...

I can't wait for more sierra summer stoke

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The cool flowers are polemonium aka sky pilot--or maybe you know that. My favorite because a) they're beautiful and b) only found very high
    I was going to post the same thing. It is my favorite alpine flower as well. It is really cool to be in the middle of a technical route and come across sky pilot in full bloom.

Welcome to the Sierra, some of the greatest climbing a skiing in the world. I hope you get down to the Minarets and Palisades.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Awesome - looking forward to additional updates.

And Powdork - that drives me nuts as well. (Sierra v. Sierras).

Nice pics!

I should be at fault as well on the 'Sierras' or 'The Sierra Nevadas'...

quick wikipedia search and found this ----

The height of the range and the steepness of the Sierra Escarpment, particularly at the southern end of the range produces a wind phenomenon known as the "Sierra Rotor". This is a horizontal rotation of the atmosphere just east of the crest of the Sierras, set in motion as an effect of strong westerly winds.

nothing wron with sierras as a shorthand for sierra mountains, not to mention north, central and south sierras

I'm jealous of you Californians, and I'm having one hell of an introduction. It's incredible!

Yeah, Nettle is a beast, his last words to us as we left were "climb fast and take risks!". Greg gave us a 100ft rope to do the West Ridge of Conness. Pretty awesome.

We hiked our way into Clyde Minaret and stayed one night at Minaret Lake got up this morning a bit late, and got beat up to the climb by another party. Given that it seems to have a reputation for being a loose route, we decided to not try and climb under them. Our fault, lesson learned. We got in another sick glacier decent on our rain gear. That area is even more beautiful than mosquito flats. Other than the million mosquitoes that has to be the best backcountry camping I've ever had. I'll have some pictures of it up tomorrow, taking a rest day, we're pretty worn out. Hopefully getting permits for Cathedral, Mathes Crest, and Mt. Conness next.

And thanks for the flower info. I'm definitely loving it's beautiful resiliency.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Nice pics!

I should be at fault as well on the 'Sierras' or 'The Sierra Nevadas'...

quick wikipedia search and found this ----
    you fixed the page, right?

and from a hike up mount dana
    I'm guessing these are some kind of penstemon, but I'm definitely not sure. Now we are sure, thanks to some help from a viewer
    (Thanks Ron). It is the 'sky pilot', or Polemonium Eximium. We only found these between 12 grand and the
    summit of just over 13.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecandy View Post
    nothing wron with sierras as a shorthand for sierra mountains, not to mention north, central and south sierras
    you shut yer dirty whore mouth...

I'm jealous of you Californians, and I'm having one hell of an introduction. It's incredible!
    Welcome to California, now leave!

It is a pretty incredible state, which is why there are 30 million people here

I have been all over this state in my 52 years, and still find hidden gems everywhere. Enjoy your visit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^Cranky ;)

I was gonna complain, and I guess I am complaining...

Sierra is both singular and plural like a few other words we commonly use, and is an error usually made by visitors or dipshits on the weather channel...it is like hearing someone say "there are a lot of deers or mooses in mall parking lot" or "I just had my way with three unsuspecting sheeps"...

We do have TMC syndrome here in CA (Too Many People)...but as a Native, I would never live anyplace else...love it here inspite of all the kooks who have populated us from somewhere back east...

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

I'm way worse than east coast. Texas!

Admittedly it's kind of fun dicking around with the "native" snobs. That's universal though, I run into them everywhere, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, almost any western state really. California is definitely one of the better states I've been to though. Lots of friendlies around.

Awesome TR...personally planning on heading up there next week.

California is definitely one of the better states I've been to though. Lots of friendlies around.
    Haven't been on the roads much, have you?

Some amazing shots btw. I have to kick myself for living here for almost my entire life and not venturing out in the Sierra/Sierras/Sierrai/Sierron more.

I've taken to calling it Sierrastan. I'm thinking of starting a polygamist commune somewhere. Fundamentalist Saints of Sierrastan.