2 weeks and counting....albacore on the fly in OR

yes, full TR will be written....let's pray for calm seas and a close current!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Hopefully the northerlies let off a bit for you.....the tuna water is 50-60+ miles out......a few days of south wind could change that really quickly though. Been a rough ocean this season.....I've only gotten across the bar one day so far......

What port are you going out of? Are you taking a charter? If so they will obviously know the deal.....

If not.....try to bring live bait, popcorn, or cat food for chum. It can be really tough to get close enough to make a good presentation without chumming to keep them up and within range. They can be really spooky from mid-aug on......but thats when they show on the surface. casting to jumpers is one of my favorite fishing experiences, tho.....

I've hooked 4 on my flyrod.....landed one. They strike really hard and can start running immediately.....a stripping basket is a good option to manage your line. I would recommend bringing conventional gear, too...just in case the limitations of fly gear keep you from the fish, its nice to be able to catch something to help recover the cost of fuel/ice/etc.

This is my 4th season fishing for them.....3rd with my own boat. Some days you can't do anything wrong, they practically swim into your fish box. Other days.....

Regardless, getting out to the blue water on an oily calm day is pretty amazing in itself......tons of life out there - whales, dolphins, sharks everywhere, diving birds.....going off.

I'm rallying to finish last years......just few jars left......so i'm ready for a few hundred pounds more

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    OMG LOL. I LOVE Ted. That is the post I wish I could have made.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

going with Nate Stansberry out of Eugene. this Saturday and Sunday. leaving out of Coos Bay. just 3 of us, smaller boat, could be tuff.

word is that they are ~25 miles out, but swells could be 5-6 ft + wind swell. Oil slick flat....'fraid not. I'm told that we're going to head out and get a read on it at the bar, if not, then back to chasing ling cod and such. At least we'll have 2 days at it.

would love to have a crack at anything...Nate's the man, he'll hook us up. I'd be willing to hop a ride with you sometime, CP, if it doesn't work out.
    You know what to do

Oooh sick! There was a charter trip I was hoping to go on here locally but the $$ situation didn't line up. Expecting a TR, including pics of your fully stocked fridge.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    You guys really should step it up a notch and head out of Willapa Harbor to test your nautical skills!

Pretty jealous! I used to run a 42 foot Delta, dragging around jigs for albacore out of SW Washington commercially after I'd get home from Bristol Bay. I only brought an 8 wt GLX with me once. After unhanging it from the rigging several times, I just plopped the fly off the stern. Boat was going 3 knots one way, tuna that hooked up went about 10 knots the other way before the rod blew apart. End of flyfishing albacore for me.

Have fun and be safe!
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

trip for this weekend postponed.

2 days ago the total swell (reg + wind) forecast was 4 feet. Doable.

Forecast this morning for the weekend went to 10 ft+ total. No go.

We're on weather standby but Nate is pulling to make it happen.

I'm going steelheading instead. Ruff bidness.
    You know what to do