School me on Accords

More specifically the 94-97 generation. I've been looking for a replacement for my old Saab, and the Accord wagon has caught my eye. It seems to be pretty economical, I can haul a shit load of stuff in it, and I can get it in a manual tranny (a must).

Do any of you have experience with these cars?
    Trouble areas that I should look out for?

Thanks.

I had a 95 manual coupe. Crazy reliable, only required regular upkeep (brakes, tires, cv joints, etc). It isn't an exciting car but it's also one with no headaches.

Super easy to steal, both mine and my dad's 96 were eventually stolen. Mine was stolen midday from a parking lot at work, cop filling out the report said you might as well paint a bulls-eye on it. Slimjim or broken window and big flat head screwdriver and you're gone.

Popular cars and hard to find good ones with low miles anymore. If a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. Lots of totaled rebuilds and sketchy titles out there. Stay away from anything even remotely modded.

Have a friend who drives like she hates cars, could not kill hers. It was bit later model, 2001 I think, auto.

Accords are great cars. I sold a 96 with 320K miles on it and it was still running great.

Just put gas in it and drive. They used to have a commercial where they welded an Accord's hood shut and said you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance for 10 years. Most likely bullshit but not far from the truth.

The main thing to remember is to get the timing belt changed when it calls for it. Snap a timing belt and your wallet is in for a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Summit View Post
    Accords are great cars. I sold a 96 with 320K miles on it and it was still running great.

Just put gas in it and drive. They used to have a commercial where they welded an Accord's hood shut and said you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance for 10 years. Most likely bullshit but not far from the truth.

The main thing to remember is to get the timing belt changed when it calls for it. Snap a timing belt and your wallet is in for a world of hurt.
    Can you comment on manual vs. auto tranny aspect? Are auto trannys in Accords a known weak spot?

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Can you comment on manual vs. auto tranny aspect? Are auto trannys in Accords a known weak spot?
    Sorry I forgot about that...

I did replace my tranny at 250k. It was an automatic. But I feel good about getting that many miles out of it. I drove that car like I stole it, including a three year stint as a pizza guy in college (which is when I killed the tranny). I always wished it was a manual but the auto wasn't awful.

Edit to add: Mine was the V6

Just picked up an manual accord wagon a few months ago. Since I've had it only a few months, can't really comment on it too much, but it seems solid. Lots of room for gear, cheap, great for road trips...

Was never a fan of the 90's accords. The new ones however are some of the best bang for the buck as far as sedans go IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Auto transmissions are a weakness in _any_ car, regardless of brand.

The OP said "old Saab." Not sure how old, but ANY Honduh is going to be cosmically more reliable than, oh, ANY Saab.

I like Saabs, at least the "real" 900s. 92ish and earlier. Goofy engine-on-top-of-transmission Saabs. They're rad, but utter piles of crap.

ADMIT IT. They SUCK.

(anticipating some saab-addict taking issue...)

Later Saabs just suck. That's all.

Mid 90s Accordions are, well, Hondas - boring, utilitarian devices intended to move people around (yes, yes, NSX, Type R, CRX Si, blah blah blah - hondas are BORING - but they're reliable....).

I hate auto trans cars with a passion. That said, people (like above poster) get 200k+ out of Honda trannies pretty regularly. Shrug. ok.

I guess my point is simple - if you LIKED your Saab, you'll likely be bored with a Honda. You won't need a bus pass or bike, and you'll miss the excitement of "will it start" every time you need to go somewhere.

Saabs blow.

Iain (but damn, real 900s and 99s are freaking rad when they're running/the transmission is not making all kinds of weird noises/they're not randomly doing weird stuff....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Iain (but damn, real 900s and 99s are freaking rad when they're running/the transmission is not making all kinds of weird noises/they're not randomly doing weird stuff....)
    Yes they are. The problem is finding a vehicle that has good storage capacity, is economical, comes in a stick shift, and is fucking reliable. It appears the my options that fulfill these needs are an Accord wagon, or a Subaru Impreza hatchback or legacy wagon with the 2.2.

It is good to hear that people are getting 200K+ out of some auto trannys.

The problem is finding a vehicle that has good storage capacity, is economical, comes in a stick shift, and is fucking reliable.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1852247814.html

Find similar in your local craigslist.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I've been thinking about 740s mostly because of how Jumperbones and the like have raved about them.

How are they to work on?

I've been thinking about 740s mostly because of how Jumperbones and the like have raved about them.

How are they to work on?
    Don't know, 240s had a fair amount of room to get around. One thing though, if you're going to drive in the snow though, you really need to toss some weight in the back. 2 bags of cement worked for me. Then just dont drive like a moron.

Just did the brakes on a 97 accord ex. Def a bitch of a job. Took much less time on my camaro z28 and my brothers grand am? The girl I was doing it for paid a shop $400 to do the rear. I told her not to let them get ahold of her for the front and I'd do them for free. Took the wheels off and understand why it was such a bitch. She said it runs like a beast though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1852247814.html

Find similar in your local craigslist.
    x2 for the volvos. The Honda was more "zippy" for sure. But the volvo 240 wagon I had was the best car I have ever owned. I got that car to almost 500k before I sold it, and it was still running very strong. It was actually really good in the snow with a little weight and snow tires. A 4sp manual made it ok to drive.

I would take a 240 over a 740 but only because the 240 is easier to work on.

Those cars run forever. But they are maintenance heavy. You will always be tinkering under the hood. But rarely are you performing big repairs. So if you are good with tools and can do maintenance, its a great car and will outlast even a Honda.