Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Hell on Wheels. It's an AMC series based on post civil war railroad construction. If you like N bombs and injun killin this is your show. Only half way through 1st season but good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hell on Wheels. It's an AMC series based on post civil war railroad construction. If you like N bombs and injun killin this is your show. Only half way through 1st season but good so far.
    I just finished season 3, really good shit. Somewhat historically accurate too. Oddly similar to red dead redemption.

Sugar Man - the documentary that isn't on Netflix but if it is searched a handful of times, it will show up.

It's about a Detroit musician whose music fired up the end of apartheid in South Africa after some American chick brought his album over and it was duplicated endlessly, making him a star there, while a music business failure here. Dude's music was the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Sugar Man - the documentary that isn't on Netflix but if it is searched a handful of times, it will show up.

It's about a Detroit musician whose music fired up the end of apartheid in South Africa after some American chick brought his album over and it was duplicated endlessly, making him a star there, while a music business failure here. Dude's music was the shit.
    Saw this in Seattle in April this spring, hands down one of the best documentaries I've seen in a while

So you are hoping if enough people search for it that it shows up or this is some Netflix secret menu thing where you search "Sugarman" 3 times and then you have access to it?

As for recs-
    "Long Way Round" is a pretty inspiring series about Ewan McGregor and a friend riding motorcycles around the world.

Netflix kinda works like the candyman to some degree, I've noticed.
    They pay attention to what is searched.

Fringe is awesome. I'm glad this came recommended. Basically a newer x files.

Ive had a hard time getting into hell on wheels. Its moves slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    So the Mrs. and I dorked out and started watching Tron: Uprising. Unexpectedly good for a kid's cartoon (think Avatar: the last airbender quality). Aeon Flux animation style + Tron story + Daft Punk inspired soundtrack = pretty awesome.

Yes, I'm a dork.
    I met a writer for this on a flight from Boston to LA this summer. Apparently, it didn't produce good enough ratings, so it was being cut. She was very cool and you're not the only dork... the three of us in the row, all still used flip phones.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

If thats the case, then I should personally be responsible when This Old House shows up. (Actually given the cost of the anthology I'd be surprised if it ever makes it to netflix, but I do think it would be the best addition ever.)

The Babymakers was a good comedy for the wife and I. Sometimes that is not so easy.

Interesting...

Speaking on how NF streaming works, lately I've been finding that their "Recommendations" at the end of whatever film you are watching have been WAY off.

For example, last night I watched this eccentric French film titled IP5: Island of the Pachyderms, which was about a graffiti artist and his car jacking side-kick who take a road trip in search of a lost love. At the end NF recommended Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and Legend of the Fist, three martial arts movies that have little in common with the film I just watched. Go figure.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    If thats the case, then I should personally be responsible when This Old House shows up. (Actually given the cost of the anthology I'd be surprised if it ever makes it to netflix, but I do think it would be the best addition ever.)
    That would be awesome, but they are very protective, not allowing youtube vids, etc.

Someday they will cave...

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Interesting...

Speaking on how NF streaming works, lately I've been finding that their "Recommendations" at the end of whatever film you are watching have been WAY off.

For example, last night I watched this eccentric French film titled IP5: Island of the Pachyderms, which was about a graffiti artist and his car jacking side-kick who take a road trip in search of a lost love. At the end NF recommended Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and Legend of the Fist, three martial arts movies that have little in common with the film I just watched. Go figure.
    Sounds like it just gave you your top ten suggestions without regard to he movie you watched. Given your propensity for violent cult films, I'm sure they weren't that far off...

What are some good Kung fu flicks on Netflix? I'm old school and think wire flying sucks. Ip man and the sequel were right up my alley.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    What are some good Kung fu flicks on Netflix? I'm old school and think wire flying sucks. Ip man and the sequel were right up my alley.
    Most of the martial arts flix I've found streaming are New School (late '80s, '90s and present day), which are pretty much all flying wire.

That said, there are some great ones of that ilk available, imho.

1. Wing Chun - starring Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh with fight choreography from Yuen Woo Ping

2. Wu Dang - a nice modern wuxia (Splat and a few others here dug it, too)

3. Tai Chi Zero & Tai Chi Hero - these are two of my favorite newer (as in 2012/2013) martial arts films. Very comic booky, but incredibly well acted and well directed, plus they feature a ton of Old School actors/kung fu legends in bit parts.

4. King of Beggars - a Stephen Chow comedy where he does sleeping kung fu. Hella goofy, but entertaining

Most of the other Asian Action fare on NF is relegated to triad/cop thrillers, supernatural thrillers, etc.

I do believe Ong Bak is streaming, but not sure which ones (really, only the first Ong Bak is worth watching in terms of the story/plot, the second and third do have some solid fight sequences, though). There are a few other Thai films on there, but I haven't seen many of them, plus their production values vary greatly, mostly leaning towards really poor acting/directing, but with amazing fight sequences.

They have a bunch of Jackie Chan's late '80s flicks on there, but I believe most of them are dubbed in English (I prefer to watch my kung fu films in Chinese with subtitles, but that's just me).
    Last edited by dookey67; 09-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Been really enjoying Orange Is the New Black. Anyone else?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Yep. Would have been better without the main character (author) though.

Most of the other characters were superb/ly written/acted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Just finished it... there's a thread on it somewhere here. Great stuff, and I think you guys who don't like Chapman, are ghey.

Seriously, I don't get the dissing as I think she does a great job. Semi understated, but it works for me. Just an amazing cast all around... emmy on the way.

Derek has been pretty good so far.

^^ I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes to be honest...
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Season 5 of Fringe up now - rockin fukkin scifi at it's best.
    Really enjoying this one. Mindless before-bed X-files paranormal fbi drama set in Boston with a hot lead.

Not mentioned yet ...

House of Cards

Try the Brit version to see how crazy the US version is going to get. 3 series for Brits, 1 so far for US.

RAGING PHOENIX...(available until 10/14)

Drunken Muy Thai (Meyraiyuth*) with a breakdancing slant (while the hip-hop angle might turn some off, keep in mind that original NYC b-boys based their dance moves on martial arts, so this is merely paying tribute to that legacy).

The final fight sequence is worth the watch alone.

*according to Wikipedia, Meyraiyuth is a fictional martial art: "Meyraiyuth — also known as "drunken Muay Thai," it is featured in the 2009 Thai film Raging Phoenix. It is primarily a combination of Muay Thai and breakdancing, but also features athletic skills from other disciplines, such as Parkour and gymnastics, along with cooperative techniques that often resemble figure skating or swing dancing. This style derives much of its effectiveness from the unpredictability of the fighters, who often rely on punctuated movements, as well as exotic postures and unintuitive maneuvers. While Meyraiyuth may superficially resemble Capoeira, it is distinguishable by its lack of the Ginga "stance," and by its intentionally confusing movements, which may be punctuated and irrythmic." - taken from this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_martial_arts
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-02-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Just started watching this series called "Breaking Bad." About a high school chemistry teacher who starts cooking meth to pay for his cancer treatments. Half way into first season; pretty good so far.