Page 94 of 137 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 3407
    Man, NF just keeps tossing mad $$$ at A-listers to star in over-the-top, tentpole-styled action films...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Yabut ..... every once in a while, they hit.

Admittedly, the budget that I found for Project Power was listed at 70M, which is considered relatively cheap by today's "blockbuster" action film standards.
    That said, NF is reportedly dumping 200M into a new Ryan Gosling/Chris Evans vehicle(!)

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix...ng-1202987267/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post

good stuff
    Based in an eponymous series of books

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales

Update: I’m now in the middle of season 3 in Person of Interest (which means that I might not finish the series in the next 4 weeks, after which the show leaves Netflix). I realize that I’m several years late to the game on this one, but anyway, thumbs up. It’s gotten to be pretty great, a fine mix of politically relevant spy thrills and general tech nerdery, plus regular doses of cheesy action and a certain amount of self-aware humor about the cheesy action. My main complaint with PoI is that the series is rather padded with sometimes retreaded procedural drama; this series (or the first half of the series that I’ve watched so far anyway) would have been much better at about half as many episodes.

I’m not sure if Documentary Now! (currently on Netflix) has been mentioned yet. It’s kind of a mixed bag, but at its best, brilliant. Fred Armisen and Bill Hader parody classic documentaries, in 20-minute episodes. It’s not aggressively spoofy, like Walk Hard (also currently on Netflix) or something, but more of a project of mimicking the style of each documentary (and with lots of humor).

Some highlights for me:
    - Sandy Passage: A dead-on riff on Grey Gardens; heightens the bizarreness of the original.
    - The Eye Doesn’t Lie: Rips off The Thin Blue Line, matching the style of the film while trashing the bumpkin justice that the original film exposed.
    - Dronez: I didn’t see the original docu, whatever it was, but this is fun, and it’s good to see Breaking Bad’s Gomez playing a Mexican Cartel kingpin.
    - The Bunker: I never saw The War Room that this is based on, but the depiction of James Carville is dead on, and the Carville-like character’s final message a perfect summation of what’s wrong with people like him being considered political gurus.
    - Parker Gail: Loved this; it takes everything I’ve ever found obnoxious about Spalding Gray and cranks it way, way up.
    - And I still have the Stop Making Sense parody to look forward to.

If you enjoyed Medeci, then the Borgias is almost a seamless segue, historically speaking. I'm halfway into season 1. Generally historically accurate, with the same reliance on soap opera family and romantic relationships to make it more palatable to the masses. Jeremy Irons pulls it off pretty well as the Borgia pope. The actors aren't all as beautiful as the Medici cast, which gave you the impression that everyone in fifteenth century Florence in the upper classes were rock star models. Biggest contrast is Savanarola, who was a big letdown in Medeci, where he looked and sounded like a new age therapist who seduced wives, but this actor is more of the Savanarola I've read about and is seen in paintings. A crazed religious fanatic who wanted power and prophesied. Even has a wart in the middle of his forehead. I'm hoping for a cool scene near the end when they hang and burn him in a square in Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    If you enjoyed Medeci, then the Borgias is almost a seamless segue, historically speaking. I'm halfway into season 1. Generally historically accurate, with the same reliance on soap opera family and romantic relationships to make it more palatable to the masses. Jeremy Irons pulls it off pretty well as the Borgia pope. The actors aren't all as beautiful as the Medici cast, which gave you the impression that everyone in fifteenth century Florence in the upper classes were rock star models. Biggest contrast is Savanarola, who was a big letdown in Medeci, where he looked and sounded like a new age therapist who seduced wives, but this actor is more of the Savanarola I've read about and is seen in paintings. A crazed religious fanatic who wanted power and prophesied. Even has a wart in the middle of his forehead. I'm hoping for a cool scene near the end when they hang and burn him in a square in Florence.
    If you like Medeci and Borgias, then have you also seen the Tudors? I really enjoyed that series. I think it's on Netflix these days. Was wild to see the transition from a young, suave Henry VIII to the fat, sick and gross version we all know about. Excellent casting.

Two episodes into Cobra Kai which just showed up on Netflix. Pretty good so far

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    If you like Medeci and Borgias, then have you also seen the Tudors? I really enjoyed that series. I think it's on Netflix these days. Was wild to see the transition from a young, suave Henry VIII to the fat, sick and gross version we all know about. Excellent casting.
    Next.

I just finished a great book about the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316545562..._pFWsFb00WEE4C

Henry really had it with the Italians, but, then again, most everyone else did, too.

I'd like to see a series all about Magellan and his voyage. That would be cool. An amazing event in human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, that was a real letdown. They got a ton wrong about Savanarola's execution. It did not happen in Rome, it happened in Florence. The Pope and cardinals were not present. He was hung along with two other monks before he was burned. The people broke into San Marco and dragged him to his death. Eh, hollywood, whatcha gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Two episodes into Cobra Kai which just showed up on Netflix. Pretty good so far
    And it gets better.
    It's like the perfect blend of cheesy 80s, good writing, mediocre fighting and cringe worthy moments.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Seems like the "good" writing was completely run over by all the other crap. I fought through 2 episodes and quit. Not understanding the rave reviews.

'Course, I didn't like the movie, either.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    And it gets better.
    It's like the perfect blend of cheesy 80s, good writing, mediocre fighting and cringe worthy moments.
    Cheesy is right. Certainly not high art but entertaining. I think I’m just the right age to appreciate it because I really enjoyed it. The last episode of season two is out of control.

The Social Dilemma.

Should be required watching for everyone even if you don’t use social media.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/...lowski/245027/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ratched. I like it, even if it is a bit bizarre. It's based upon the Nurse Ratched character in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 09-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^ Just saw that was released. Sarah Paulson as Nurse Ratched looks like a good match from the preview.

Watched "Time Trap" last weekend. Definitely a sort of B movie with strong Disney Channel-esque "made for TV" low budget vibes complete with bad acting and strong cheese factor. THAT ALL SAID, I found the premise highly enjoyable and hold onto your hats for the third Act. In fact, a few scenes I want to go back and revisit that make you go "woah." Takes the whole time dilation idea and kicks it up a massive notch. Worth a watch if you can look past the negatives. Special effects weren't half bad considering the production, though!

If you want to see a campy lawyers and satan flick that's actually pretty good too, you have a few more days to watch Devil's Advocate before Netflix pulls it.

Releasing the last season of Schitt's Creek ahead of schedule for much needed comic relief may be the nicest Canadian move since Gordon Sinclair.

Just finished watching Trial of The Chicago Seven
    A good reminder that even though our government is fucked up now, it was way more fucked up in the late 60s.

I watch HBO and BBC more, but from the Netflix series I watched The Witcher yesterday. Everyone looked a year ago, but I just got ready.

My wife turned me on to a pretty good show that's available on Netflix called "The Repair Shop." It's a British show where people bring in old and damaged items with sentimental value and the Repair Shop experts fix them up as close to "like new" as they can. There's a pretty wide range of things that come in and it's interesting to see the restoration process. Definitely a feel-good kind of show. I think anyone who is interested in any kind of 'making' will find it interesting.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6685272/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1