Page 117 of 137 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3407
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Is is essential to be familiar with the source material or does the show stand on its own?
    Early reviews implied that knowing the source material would be beneficial, but I haven't found that my not having read any of it has made it difficult to keep up.

Oh, and unlike the casting of Christie, David Thewlis is fantastic (as ever).

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Gwendoline Christie was a complete casting failure. She was more wooden than her role in GOT. They should have gotten Tom Ellis, but I guess he would have overwhelmed the placid Tom Sturridge. Maybe a cardboard poster would have worked?
    The back half of the series is just a woke disaster, shoving THE MESSAGE firmly down the viewer's throat.
    Blacks, queers, and assorted weirdos, are good and innocent.
    White people are evil, abusive rednecks, racist criminals, or oblivious
    Yeah. That's where it's gotten kind of obnoxious to me. I liked the premise of the series, liked the old comics, and it's very well done in many ways. But sheesh! They make it out like the majority of people are black and/or LGBT. Like pretty disproportionately so at times. I get that studios are trying to compensate for underrepresentation in the past, but calm the hell down guys. Going WAY overboard in cases like this. I understand what they were going for in Ep 5 (it's a twist on a scene from the comics) but the show makes it out like EVERYONE is gay deep down and if we were somehow freed of everything holding us back from our deepest, darkest repressed thoughts, everybody would turn in to super depraved murderers. Ep 1 was cool but the odd, overboard push becomes more and pronounced as the show goes on. It's one thing for it to be natural in a show, like having characters who just happen to be XYZ, but it felt waaaay too forced in Sandman.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Day Shift
    I had moderately decent hopes for the new NF vampire joint Day Shift.
    But it’s a tepid, paint-by-numbers action buddy comedy that is neither exciting nor funny, plus lacks any chemistry between the two leads.
    I suffered through 45-minutes before cutting my losses.
    It brings nothing new to the vampire genre and continues to prove that NF needs to purge whoever in upper management keeps greenlighting such unimaginative dreck (they need to realize that they aren’t losing $$ due to shared accounts, but rather because they keep spending millions on generic crap like this).

Of course, YMMV…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I've vowed NEVER to watch anything on NF involving zombies. Zombies are their kryptonite ....... along with a lot of other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I've vowed NEVER to watch anything on NF involving zombies. Zombies are their kryptonite ....... along with a lot of other stuff
    The French Canadian film Ravenous is a really good zombie flick and an exception to your otherwise sound rule.

I would add vampires to the no-watch list as I have been skunked by every NF produced vampire film I have watched.

Netflix: instaView rec's

Dookey did you watch Carter yet.
    Totally bonkers South Korean action flick. Live action merged with crazy cgi. The camera work was like a spastic teenager playing a video game.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Dookey did you watch Carter yet.
    Totally bonkers South Korean action flick. Live action merged with crazy cgi. The camera work was like a spastic teenager playing a video game.

Not yet.
    I watched the trailer last week, but alas it didn’t do much in the way of enticing me to add it to the queue.

fwiw, you had me with “totally bonkers”, but lost me with “crazy cgi” and “spastic teenager playing a video game.”

BTW, based on your description, you may want to give Hardcore Henry a looksee…

I saw HH. This is even more over the top awesome.

THE NICE GUYS
    Screenwriter (and occasional director) Shane Black set the benchmark for buddy action films with Lethal Weapon and gloriously tweaked the formula with his stellar directing debut Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
    Here he pays homage to the gritty Hollywood neon noirs of the 1970s.
    The script is gonzo good, teeming with clever asides, sweet callbacks, and sly humor. And the duo of Crowe and Gosling is off-the-nuts good, bubbling with that rarest of commodities: chemistry.
    There are some equally cool supporting turns from Keith David, Matt Bomer, and Beau Knapp.

RIYL
    Lethal Weapon; Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Another super entertaining show that has goes beyond the realm of farfetchedness and has been around for a while is Locke & Key. Season 3 is turning out to be one to watch
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Not sure if RRR has been mentioned yet, but it was pretty fun. Check it out for an India nationalism twist on the underdog action hero genre. It's the kind of action movie that clearly prioritizes visually cool action over realistic action; there are some scenes that are tempting to laugh at for being preposterous, but hey, if you aren't suspending all disbelief while watching RRR, you're doing it wrong. Also, there's a pretty good dance-off scene.

Basically, there's one Indian guy, sort of looks like John Belushi, who wants to avenge and rescue his sister who's been kidnapped (to be a kind of pet) by the Brit colonialists, and another Indian guy (I don't know, how about George Clooney) who's working for The Man and trying to find the guy who wants revenge for the kidnapping.

So .... it's a comedy with good fight shit?

I should just sit down and watch this, but I'm hesitating for fear of Modi popping up in full swoll Stallone mode. Now, if you could convince me it's actually meta satire and ridiculing uber-nationalism .......

Not that the brits weren't royal cunts.
    Last edited by PB; 08-21-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Personally, I find the 182-minute running time daunting.
    But then looking at other Indian epic action films, that appears to be short…

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So .... it's a comedy with good fight shit?
    Let's just say that I showed my teen kid a few scenes, and he was howling with laughter. But no, not a comedy; totally completely earnest.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Let's just say that I showed my teen kid a few scenes, and he was howling with laughter. But no, not a comedy; totally completely earnest.
    thought so; although the seriousness is in itself humorous.

On a different note: just finished Kleo - mixed reviews, and it takes some patience, but I enjoyed it's silliness during a very unserious period. Kind of an early Tarantino with a surprisingly entertaining German subtlety.

Has there been talk in here about Alone? Wife and I have been hooked on it the last week or so. Really interesting for reality show and set in BC so beautiful location.

One part though has a guy tracking a grizzly and then bear spraying it when he finds it. Prick. Hope he starves.

The “grizzlies are hunting us” drama seems a little overblown when basically every bear runs away when they see/smell/hear the humans. But otherwise a fun show

Wife is hooked on Virgin River. FML! Great setting but way too soapy and boring. Stay away from that shit.

stay outta my line

Thumbs up I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Pretty sure this has not been mentioned. Searched thread by title, cast, director. Kind of surprising for a 2017 release, and it's been on NF before, but it's a sleeper. Now it's back:

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Not sure if RRR has been mentioned yet, but it was pretty fun. Check it out for an India nationalism twist on the underdog action hero genre. It's the kind of action movie that clearly prioritizes visually cool action over realistic action; there are some scenes that are tempting to laugh at for being preposterous, but hey, if you aren't suspending all disbelief while watching RRR, you're doing it wrong. Also, there's a pretty good dance-off scene.

Basically, there's one Indian guy, sort of looks like John Belushi, who wants to avenge and rescue his sister who's been kidnapped (to be a kind of pet) by the Brit colonialists, and another Indian guy (I don't know, how about George Clooney) who's working for The Man and trying to find the guy who wants revenge for the kidnapping.
    Everyone should watch RRR. One of the best action/comedy movies I've seen. Reminded me of Kung Fu Hustle, but better.

"The Man" (Ruju) should be an action star in the US. Haven't ever seen a ripped guy with that much machismo, emotion, and ability to dance his fucking shoes off.

Go in knowing there will be artistic/creative fight scenes and a couple music videos (that work) in the mix and just enjoy. Well worth the 3+ hour run time.

Just start RRR last night! Bout 1/2 hour in. What a ride so far!

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Everyone should watch RRR. One of the best action/comedy movies I've seen. Reminded me of Kung Fu Hustle, but better.

"The Man" (Ruju) should be an action star in the US. Haven't ever seen a ripped guy with that much machismo, emotion, and ability to dance his fucking shoes off.

Go in knowing there will be artistic/creative fight scenes and a couple music videos (that work) in the mix and just enjoy. Well worth the 3+ hour run time.
    Yeah! Definitely a bit of a Kung Fu Hustle vibe to it. It's wild.

TODD BARRY: SPICY HONEY
    About once a year I go on a comedy/stand-up jag.
    I’m usually prone to action/horror/arthouse fare, so I tend to forget that I enjoy laughing, too. But I’m also pretty particular about my humor.
    I watched a couple Pete Davidson gigs. Meh.
    Then I stumbled upon this. I remembered that on one of my other comedy fixes I had seen Barry’s Crowd Work Tour Special and dug his snarky deadpan riffing (I subsequently went and saw him at a mega tiny venue when he swung through Reno a few years ago).
    I like this dude’s dry wit; he’s like a less abstract Steven Wright or a slightly meaner David Sedaris.

Couldn’t find a Youtube trailer, but there’s a coupla short clips on the Netflix page:
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80214478

Tod Barry's delivery and tonal manipulation is spot on. Alway am surprised at finally connecting the face to the voice though.