Page 126 of 136 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3396
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Gotta love the geniuses behind streaming licensing rights. Apparently Conan the Barbarian (the OG version with Arnie) FINALLY became available May 1st. Cool. Been meaning to revisit that one for ages but wasn't available to stream anywhere. Anyway, added it to my queue and right off the bat it gave me a warning saying it's already going away May 31st. So a 1 month run on Netflix? What the heck? Not cool. Anyway, being that it's NOT a family friendly film and it's also a movie my wife would likely hate, I had to squeeze it in late at night this week before it expires.

Point being? WATCH THIS CLASSIC BEFORE IT'S GONE! ...again. Really enjoyed the heck out of it, and it made me realize just how much I was missing by only having seen the TV edit when I was a kid. Over the top violence, T&A, a fantastic score, and Arnold in peak form, complete with Arnie's signature heavily Austrian accented AARRRHGGHs and AAGRHAHRRSs. Was hilarious. I vaguely remember the comics and that they were pretty badass, so might need to revisit those too someday.

Oh, and James Earl Jones in his wig as Thulsa Doom?! PERFECT casting. Haha. Now go watch it and you'll have good time. Just maybe not with the spousal unit and kids. Would love to hear what Dookey has to say about the production aspects of it: Directed by John Milius, co-written by Milius and Oliver Stone, produced by Dino De Laurentiis (or rather his daughter Rafaella I think). Has some strong old school Italian cinema vibes for sure.

My pops took me to see it in the theater when I was 15.
    I remember really digging it.

15 y/o me definitely had a crush on Sandahl Bergman, too!

It was my first—and pretty much only—foray into the whole swords & sorcery genre, at least in terms of seeing those films in the movie theater.
    I mean I eventually saw things like The Sword and the Sorcerer, Krull, Beastmaster, and a few others, but Conan is the granddaddy of that genre imho.

The production design was tight and Basil Poledouris’s score for both of the Arnie Conan films is amazing (I may actually dig his score for Conan the Destroyer more…).

For some reason I didn’t see the follow-up, Conan the Destroyer until a few years ago. While a bit more campy, it’s still great and worth watching.
    Heck, even Red Sonja, despite Brigitte Neilson’s debatable thespian skills, is worth a watch (both of these were directed by Richard Fleischer, so there is a consistency to them).

As for John Milius? Conan and Red Dawn were his two movies that left a lasting impact on me. Heck, I quoted Red Dawn the other day while skiing at Alpine Meadows. My buddy sitting next to me on the chairlift looked at me and asked “Dude, did you just quote Red Dawn?!?”
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Netflix: instaView rec's

It was epic. Along w Ator and Beastmaster. Gotta love swords and boobs in fur bikinis

I gotta ask what line from Red Dawn did you use

Since he was at Alpine I have a pretty good idea

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I gotta ask what line from Red Dawn did you use
    Sadly, the most obvious one (aka the battle cry of the insurgents); it’s low-hanging fruit given the name of one of the more prominent groomers at AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Since he was at Alpine I have a pretty good idea

NOT on NF

Just as Road Warrior spawned countless post-apocalyptic flicks, so, too did Conan open the floodgates for innumerable sword & sorcery efforts.

If you fools wanna watch a completely bonkers entry in the genre, check out CONQUEST.

Available free (albeit with ads) via Freevee on Amazon, also on Tubi and ShoutTV…

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    My pops took me to see it in the theater when I was 15.
    I remember really digging it.

15 y/o me definitely had a crush on Sandahl Bergman, too!

It was my first—and pretty much only—foray into the whole swords & sorcery genre, at least in terms of seeing those films in the movie theater.
    I mean I eventually saw things like The Sword and the Sorcerer, Krull, Beastmaster, and a few others, but Conan is the granddaddy of that genre imho.

The production design was tight and Basil Poledouris’s score for both of the Arnie Conan films is amazing (I may actually dig his score for Conan the Destroyer more…).

For some reason I didn’t see the follow-up, Conan the Destroyer until a few years ago. While a bit more campy, it’s still great and worth watching.
    Heck, even Red Sonja, despite Brigitte Neilson’s debatable thespian skills, is worth a watch (both of these were directed by Richard Fleischer, so there is a consistency to them).

As for John Milius? Conan and Red Dawn were his two movies that left a lasting impact on me. Heck, I quoted Red Dawn the other day while skiing at Alpine Meadows. My buddy sitting next to me on the chairlift looked at me and asked “Dude, did you just quote Red Dawn?!?”
    Appreciate the write-up. I KNEW you'd know what's up.

You should re-watch it while it's on Netflix! And yeah, Sandahl Bergman was indeed a babe. Probably the only one who could half-way act too, aside from James Earl Jones of course. Haha. Thanks for the reminders of the other S&S movies! Been meaning to revisit Beastmaster. Loved that one as a kid. Of course I was also into Heavy Metal and Frank Frazetta comics. Of course the animated classic, Fire and Ice was rad too:

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    It was epic. Along w Ator and Beastmaster. Gotta love swords and boobs in fur bikinis
    Indeed!

NOT on NF

Just as Road Warrior spawned countless post-apocalyptic flicks, so, too did Conan open the floodgates for innumerable sword & sorcery efforts.

If you fools wanna watch a completely bonkers entry in the genre, check out CONQUEST.

Available free (albeit with ads) via Freevee on Amazon, also on Tubi and ShoutTV…

Ok. I'm sold. That trailer makes it look like it's right up my alley. Funny how film trends go. Like all the sci-fi stuff that came out in the late 70s trying to cash in on the success of Star Wars. Then came Conan and all of a sudden we had a TON of fantasy stuff in the early 80s. Good times.

Funny how film trends go.
    In regards to Star Wars rip-offs, I am a fan of
    SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE

And in terms of Road Warrior influenced schlock, I highly recommend THE NEW BARBARIANS (aka WARRIORS OF THE WASTELAND)

FWIW, I am leaving out more obvious recommendations such as HELL COMES TO FROG TOWN, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, STEEL DAWN, and TURBO KID

But if you hain’t seen any of those, then add ‘em to the list!!!

But to get back on a NF specific track, I started watching the Korean series BLACK KNIGHT last night.
    It’s a hodgepodge of familiar genres and tropes.
    2 episodes in and I am not sure if so will continue due to the familiar themes. It also rushes some necessary exposition, which kind of bugs me.
    I mostly started watching it late last night because I didn’t have the attention needed to invest in a movie.

Speaking of Conan the Barbarian, what about Excalibur? Released one year prior to Conan. Not Netflix, but I remember it as a great fantasy movie.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Speaking of Conan the Barbarian, what about Excalibur? Released one year prior to Conan. Not Netflix, but I remember it as a great fantasy movie.

A John Boorman classic!

Check out his earlier film, ZARDOZ, which is a mash-up of the swords & sorcery genre…

Sheet, we might have to start a separate Sword & Sorcery thread…

A John Boorman classic!

Check out his earlier film, ZARDOZ, which is a mash-up of the swords & sorcery genre…
    Zardoz! Oh boy! I think I've seen it, but can't really remember it.

Sean Connery... ooh la la or wth? I mean, that' is some outfit there 007.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Excalibur had a sex scene in it that was shocking to me at my age.

Ice Pirates was another one in the genre which was kind of a Road Warrior x Star Wars mash up. Saw it in the local theatre with my brother on a Saturday afternoon. Same theatre I watched Flash Gordon and Dreamscape in (among others)

Dark Crystal as well. A lot of cool but weird movies at that time.

Excalibur had a sex scene in it that was shocking to me at my age.

Ice Pirates was another one in the genre which was kind of a Road Warrior x Star Wars mash up. Saw it in the local theatre with my brother on a Saturday afternoon. Same theatre I watched Flash Gordon and Dreamscape in (among others)

Dark Crystal as well. A lot of cool but weird movies at that time.
    I loved the garish pop aesthetic of FLASH GORDON (and still do).

DREAMSCAPE is an unheralded classic; a prime example of a low-budget film with a great story, great cast, and cool practical effects.

Swerving back to actual NF fare, I tried to get into their DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE reboot, but couldn’t get past the first episode…

A lot of cool but weird movies at that time.
    There REALLY were! Was a glorious time when studios would constantly take serious risks on wild ass ideas. Perhaps it was all the blow the Hollywood execs were plowing through in the 80s, but they sure gave us a lot of fun stuff.

Swerving back to actual NF fare, I tried to get into their DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE reboot, but couldn’t get past the first episode…
    Might I suggest giving it another try? I'm a HUGE fan of the original, and so I watched that one for the umpteenth time before starting Age of Resistance, which is a prequel btw. I also had a bit of a tough time getting into it, but stuck with it and got seriously hooked. It was marvelously done and is a fine tribute to Jim Henson and his vision. Lisa Henson was one of the producers and made darn sure it lived up to its namesake. If you watch the making of the series, it's impressive. I can't think of another modern show that had THAT level of practical production go into it.

Seriously. It's amazing. Give 'er another go. Really adds a lot of depth to the 1982 film. Damn... 1982. Mind blowing.

There REALLY were! Was a glorious time when studios would constantly take serious risks on wild ass ideas. Perhaps it was all the blow the Hollywood execs were plowing through in the 80s, but they sure gave us a lot of fun stuff.

But to get back on a NF specific track, I started watching the Korean series BLACK KNIGHT last night.
    It’s a hodgepodge of familiar genres and tropes.
    2 episodes in and I am not sure if so will continue due to the familiar themes. It also rushes some necessary exposition, which kind of bugs me.
    I mostly started watching it late last night because I didn’t have the attention needed to invest in a movie.
    Binged this weekend. Thought it was entertaining enough. Mad Max meets Hunger Games meets Squid Games meets Rocky meets Wolverine (w/o the claws) meets mile thick plot armor.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got around to Conan the Destroyer last weekend. A "BIT" more campy might quite the understatement. Haha. They cranked the cheese factor to 11 on this one.

Don't get me wrong. I knew this full well going into it, which definitely helped me have a good a time with it. Well, that and the assistance of a few adult beverages. There was a distinct lack of bewbage as opposed to the first film, and the violence was toned down for sure. I got a crack out of seeing Wilt Chamberlain in his bad wig towering over everybody as Bombaata. The climactic fight with Dagoth, the "dreaming god" was worth the price of admission alone. I also loved the fight between Conan and that wizard, Toth-Amon. Was almost like something out of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers or an old Japanese monster flick with the monster swinging him around by his ankles. Classic. Some technical aspects to that scene that ARE quite impressive though.

See:

Anyway, you all know this already, but Conan the Barbarian is more serious and in most aspects a better movie. Conan the Destroyer is more PG and more silly for sure, but still a good enough time. Adjust your expectations accordingly going into either.

HAHAHAHAHA! I bet that's EXACTLY what it was like! And Gremlins 2 was a masterpiece thanks to this guy.

New season of I Think You Should Leave.

This guy is just ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/CORDRUhPexo

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    The Diplomat is A+. Keri Russell is back.
    Just finished

Loved it

Started out unsure of itself - satire, comedy, rom-com, political drama - with shades of The Thick of It, Veep, and Designated Survivor then transitioned to a taut political thriller with excellent writing and dialogue

Rory Kinnear's performance as Prime Minister Nicol Trowbridge should be award worthy

He seamlessly and expertly combined all the worst traits of Blair, Cameron, Johnson & Hancock to craft an entirely believable British politician / PM

Keri Russell commands the screen

Can't wait for Season 2

Tour de France:Unchained just came out today!
    crab in my shoe mouth

The Mick is a new favorite. Hilarious.