Page 37 of 137 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    got sucked into the British soap opera Being Human. I dunno what it is, but the Brits really know how to do soap operas (and dramas) with a twist (as do the New Zealanders: see The Almighty Johnsons).

A large part of it for me is the language, particularly the slang and pop culture references.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I dig Agents of Shield, really good fluff.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Byzantium is popping up on August 27th...

it's a moody and beautifully shot vampire yarn directed by Neil Jordan (The Company of Wolves; Mona Lisa; The Crying Game; Interview with the Vam,pire). It's a bit in the vein of Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I watched a documentary the other day about winemaking that was excellent. A year in Burgandy. Nice, in depth look at the wine growing and making industry in probably the most famous region in the world, following the cycle of all four seasons.
    try bottle shock

I'd you are in need of some good ole fashioned comedic laughs..
    Step 1: watch the original wet hot American summer
    Step2: watch the recently released prequel to wet hot American summer

Fucking hilarious

I was surprised that Hurt Locker sucked ass. I've seen well done camera-shake to heighten the tension, but this was different, I couldn't get past the first half hour due to the over-the-top camera work. Netflix needs a 'stabilize footage' button for movie likes this and for Michael Bay movies.

I am a broken record...mind of a chef season three is fanfucking tastic. Thought provoking and philosophical tact this go around. It will also make you hungee.

I stumbled upon The Good Guys, a buddy cop actioncom starring Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks.
    Whitford, who is perhaps best known for playing slimey weasels and complete douchebags in a fair amount of the stuff he acts in (Eric Gordon in Billy Madison, amongst other characters over the years) as well as playing cocksure suits (The West Wing, amongst others), owns this series, playing an over-the-top, stuck in the '70s/'80s cop; his schtick--thick mustache, gum-chewing, out-dated sexist comments, dimwitted bravado--for some reason has me in stiches each episode.
    The show, as a whole, is pretty cliche, but Whitford is so mezmerizing it keeps me watching; he's part Smokey and the Bandit-era Burt Reynolds and part Sledge Hammer/Frank Drebin.
    Sadly, it was cancelled after just one season, but if nothing else it showcased Whitford's deft comedic timing and brazen satiric side.
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-09-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    I am a broken record...mind of a chef season three is fanfucking tastic. Thought provoking and philosophical tact this go around. It will also make you hungee.
    who is the chef in season 3? I am in the middle of season 2, but don't like April Bloomfield as much as I liked Sean Brock and didn't like Brock as much as I liked David Chang.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Netflix: instaView rec's

Magnus Nilsson and Ed Lee.
    David Chang shoes are big to fill.

David Chang shoes are big to fill.
    Yeah, I really dig him, think he'd be fun to just get drunk with (and eat, of course). he just seems like a dude I could know who also happens to be brilliant with food. My wife, however, finds him very boring.

The House I Live In.
    An amazingly powerful documentary on the war on drugs. Must watch.

I am recommending The Taking of Tiger Mountain not because it's an awesome movie, but because it has some really funky and hella cool (as in visually striking) skiing segments in it. The segments are like a cross between The Spy Who Loved Me opening sequence and the schuss scenes in The Grand Budapest Hotel. Also, the skis they are using (at least when the skiers are standing around prepping to ski) look fat and are rockered, which causes me to wonder how historically accurate they are (the film is based on a 1957 novel, which was subsequently turned into a popular Peking Opera, but also some points of the book and film are based on actual events, from what I can gather via the Webz).

The film, for those concerned with such things, is directed by Tsui Hark, who is like the Hong Kong equivalent of Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese (he is responsible for such seminal HK films as Peking Opera Blues; Once Upon A Time In China; plus he produced John Woo's early classics The Killer and A Better Tomorrow, amongst many others). As for the plot and whatnot, it's kind of like a Chinese version of The Guns of Navarone and/or Force 10 From Navarone.

Wyrmwood. Low budget zombie flick. Pretty good, not great but not horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wyrmwood. Low budget zombie flick. Pretty good, not great but not horrible.
    Totally concur.

Wyrmwood ain't half-bad; i'd give it a strong 3*'s.
    Owes a debt to the likes of Night of the Comet, Undead, Dead Alive, and Road Warrior (the latter for costume/production design). Pretty solid modern day Ozploitation zombie flick with a coupla nice twisted twists/ideas, just enough to keep it fresh and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarGnarGnar View Post
    I doubt is on Netflix but just watched "Into the Mind"today for the first time. What a great story line around harmony from the mountain tops.
    In case this hasn't been mentioned yet, it's streaming now.

Narcos has started off pretty solid so far. I'd recommend.

The other day I was listening to DJ Z-Trip and DJ P's Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 mix CD and track 4 was a mash of the music from The Warriors, which recently popped up on my Netflix queue as a recommendation.
    I've seen the flick a few times, but hearing the soundtrack snippets prompted me to re-watch it the other night.
    While a bit hokey by today's standards, it still holds up in quite a few spots.
    The score is classic, aggressive electronic '80s, which has been making a comeback in films like Drive.
    The opening sequence is pretty solid as it jump cuts from The Warriors discussing whether or not to go to The Bronx and shots of all the other gangs heading to the conclave.
    The great chase between the Furies and The Warriors through the park is especially intense, culminating with a massive baseball bat melee.
    And the radio station voiceover narration is still seminal, thanks to the smoky voice of Lynne "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Thigpen (I mean this part of the film is so seminal/cool, it was jacked by Spike Lee in Do The Right Thing).
    If you haven't seen it, it's worth the watch.

I learned that it was actually based on a novel by Sol Yurick.

I have also heard rumor that they are remaking it, but basing it in Los Angeles (a travesty, if you ask me...Hollywood needs to leave the bonafide cult classics alone).

The remastered Lawrence of Arabia
    just premiered. Stunning film, perhaps the best ever made. If some of you groms haven't seen it, make some popcorn and settle in for 3:42.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Going Clear. Nice look into Scientology.

Holy Fuckballs.

Travolta and Cruise are top shelf lunatics.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I stumbled upon The Good Guys, a buddy cop actioncom starring Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks.
    Whitford, who is perhaps best known for playing slimey weasels and complete douchebags in a fair amount of the stuff he acts in (Eric Gordon in Billy Madison, amongst other characters over the years) as well as playing cocksure suits (The West Wing, amongst others), owns this series, playing an over-the-top, stuck in the '70s/'80s cop; his schtick--thick mustache, gum-chewing, out-dated sexist comments, dimwitted bravado--for some reason has me in stiches each episode.
    The show, as a whole, is pretty cliche, but Whitford is so mezmerizing it keeps me watching; he's part Smokey and the Bandit-era Burt Reynolds and part Sledge Hammer/Frank Drebin.
    Sadly, it was cancelled after just one season, but if nothing else it showcased Whitford's deft comedic timing and brazen satiric side.
    I caught this a few years back when I was laid up healing from ankle surgery and completely agree with this review. I thought the tropiness of it was pretty fitting even.

Going Clear. Nice look into Scientology.

Holy Fuckballs.

Travolta and Cruise are top shelf lunatics.
    Netflix? Couldn't find it.

That is an hbo doc
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    That is an hbo doc
    Yep.
    My bad

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, I really dig him, think he'd be fun to just get drunk with (and eat, of course). he just seems like a dude I could know who also happens to be brilliant with food. My wife, however, finds him very boring.
    Agree.

I found Ed Lee to be boring this season. But Magnus is the man!