Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3396
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yes!

I am Uhtred son of Uhtred.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Great show.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Another good flick that I just saw from the same era, that also managed to fly beneath the cultural radar, is Buffalo Soldiers (it's on Hoopla, not Netflix). It's kind of along the lines of Catch-22, only darker. Joaquin Phoenix plays an army guy, stationed in Germany, who cooks drugs and runs various other scams.
    I remember watching that when it came out. Good movie.

Saw "Shackleton's Captain" tonight. Warning: if you watch, you will need to come to terms with the fact that you will never be as badass as Shackelton and Frank Worsley made him look like a bitch. Or at least that's what I got out of it... (ETA that might have been on amazon)

Also the Mark Twain award to Dave Chappelle is good to watch.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 05-09-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Netflix: instaView rec's

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Saw "Shackleton's Captain" tonight. Warning: if you watch, you will need to come to terms with the fact that you will never be as badass as Shackelton and Frank Worsley made him look like a bitch. Or at least that's what I got out of it... (ETA that might have been on amazon)

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=311324
    focus.

Monday, a new season of Bordertown becomes avail. If you have not seen this CSI-type show from Finland, I can recommend it.
    Generally, I really like Scandinavian TV. (Occupied, Ragnarok)

Season three was very good, and the last two episodes were superb
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 05-20-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I been watching " The Spy " with Sacha Baron Cohen as an Israeli spy , AKA Borat but in a serious roll
    I just watched the trailer for this and it looks good. Before watching the trailer I thought I'd have trouble seeing Sacha in a serious role, but I wasn't getting the goofy connection.

Just finished season 5 of Schitt's Creek and loved it, so many funny characters. We started watching Waco last night and that looks good.

Seen the big Lebowski last night on netflix
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just finished season 2 of Dead To Me; damn Applegate is awesome.

Just finished Outerbanks. It was good.
    Onto the next season of Bordertown
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

We are going through John B withdrawal here. OB season 2 time yet?

Trying to finish The Staircase. Sooooo slow

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just finished Season 2 of Knightfall. It was superb
    gonna give it a try this weekend, thanks

ETA:

This show is crack. It's not good exactly, but I can't stop watching. Kind of how I picture GOT (which I never watched) with less magic. Even though everyt 15 seconds there's a plot twist or betrayal that barely makes sense a lot of the show is completely predictable but still somehow fun waiting for mark hamill to show up.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

On Hulu, not Netflix (couldn't find a Hulu thread, sorry), but last night I watched "Neat: The Story of Bourbon." Well worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing. Wife and I both enjoyed it!

“White Lines” season one is now available. A murder mystery (of sorts) set in Ibiza; lots of sex, tons of drugs, great wry humor. Worth a view.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    “White Lines” season one is now available. A murder mystery (of sorts) set in Ibiza; lots of sex, tons of drugs, great wry humor. Worth a view.
    Thanks - caught my eye yesterday. Seemed worthwhile. Why are my palms sweating?

Zoe (Laura Haddock) is beautiful. I just wish that she had some boobies.
    One of my favorite line of the series: "I love fucking your tight pussy." ....and then her look is pure gold.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 05-20-2020 at 09:34 AM.

I dunno what it is about the French, but they make some kickass animated films.
    I dug into this gem last night.
    A thoroughly wild mash-up of steam punk, alternate history, and sci-fi with a grungy, Victorian-era industrial flair added for good measure..

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

John Henry anyone?
    Thought it was ok. Terry Crews making up for being the neighborhood bully in Friday?

Pasting NYT recommended flicks to prevent movie burnout. Located in various channel lineups...

BEYOND THE ALGORITHM

9 Movies to Stream When You’ve Watched Everything Else
    Running low on options? Take a chance on offbeat selections.

By Jason Bailey
    May 20, 2020

As summer approaches after a quarantined spring, it seems as if the impossible is happening: you’re running out of things to watch. You’ve checked off all the essentials on our lists of the best movies on the various streaming services; you’ve caught up on all the buzzworthy shows; you’ve even watched (gulp) “Tiger King.” (Again.)

So it’s time to get a little looser with your viewing choices. The great thing about the streaming services is the sheer volume of available movies; that’s also their biggest problem, since their terrible algorithms and useless interfaces so rarely help you find the hidden gems, obscure documentaries and cuckoo genre pictures hidden there. And that’s where we come in. Here are nine options to get you started.

‘Sweetheart’
    Stream it on Netflix.

It plays, at first, like a gender-swapped millennial “Cast Away,” as a young woman (Kiersey Clemons), the sole survivor of a boating accident, washes up on a desert island and does her best to stay alive all alone. And then … she discovers she’s not alone after all. It’s a simple premise, elegantly executed (it clocks in at a tight 82 minutes, not one of them wasted). And the director, J.D. Dillard, balances genuine scares with subtle social commentary.

‘Blame’
    Stream it on Hulu.

Quinn Shephard was all of 20 years old when she wrote, directed, edited, produced and starred in this sharply intelligent and uncommonly complex coming-of-age drama. She plays Abigail, a young actress whose Method approach to her role in a high school production of “The Crucible” causes no shortage of offstage drama. Shephard displays abundant talent as an actor and director, but the picture’s real value is in its verisimilitude; her proximity to this world makes for a teen movie of abundant authenticity.

‘Duck Butter’
    Stream it on Netflix.

The “Arrested Development” alum Alia Shawkat co-wrote this (with the director Miguel Arteta) and stars as a young woman put off by the formalities of love and sex. She proposes a bold experiment to a potential new love (Laia Costa): They’ll spend their first 24 hours solely in each other’s company, having sex and hanging out, to fast-forward through months of ritualized dating. The quarantine-reminiscent results are somewhat uneven, for the participants and the audience. But the film’s honesty and intimacy, and the considerable chemistry of its leads, go a long way.

‘No Man’s Land’
    Stream it on Amazon Prime Video.

This 2017 documentary captures the 41-day standoff at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon, where Ammon Bundy and a bunch of frighteningly well-armed “patriots” took over federal buildings with a plan of, in their words, “freedom and stuff.” David Garrett Byars, the director and cinematographer, doesn’t soft-soap the dangerous rhetoric and paranoid sloganeering. But nobody gets a free pass here, and the footage of the shootout that brought the whole ugly affair to a close is terrifying no matter where you land on the conflict.

‘Tickled’
    Stream it on Hulu.

The New Zealand television presenter David Farrier fronts and co-directs (with Dylan Reeve) this stranger-than-fiction documentary, detailing his investigation of “competitive endurance tickling.” Farrier initially conceived it as a giggly story about a strange online phenomenon, but found himself immersed in a bizarre web of online harassment, sexual blackmail and worse. The twisty narrative is endlessly fascinating, and Farrier is an engaging onscreen presence, striking just the right balance between bemusement and horror.

Actor Martinez’

This mash-up of documentary and improvised drama (and who knows how much is which) is a bit of a bait-and-switch. What initially plays as a meanspirited portrait of a blowhard would-be actor eventually turns its sights on its own directors, whose motives seem murky at best and exploitative at worst, veering into uncomfortable yet telling territory about documentary ethics and sexual politics in filmmaking. Of course, the entire setup could be a fake, and the fact that it’s even a question is, in itself, endlessly compelling. Certainly not for all tastes, but those who can tune into it will find this one prickly, confounding and thought-provoking.

‘Cam’
    Stream it on Netflix.

An online sex worker tries to wrestle back her stolen identity, and faces uncomfortable questions from her family about her work in this chiller from the director Daniel Goldhaber and the writer Isa Mazzei (who based the script on her own experiences as a “camgirl”). What could have been an earnest moral drama or mindless exploitation movie is instead a disturbing, David Lynch-esque psychological thriller, as our heroine’s attempt to take down (and eventually outdo) her doppelgänger threatens to scramble her own sanity. Madeline Brewer is stunningly effective in the lead role, while Goldhaber masterfully manifests the character’s creeping madness.

‘We Are What We Are’

Every small town has one, the family that keeps to itself and doesn’t cause any trouble, but everyone knows there’s something … off about it. Jim Mickle’s moody 2013 adaptation of the 2011 Mexican horror film eventually reveals all the gory (and I do mean gory) details of their secret, but that’s not what lingers afterward; it’s the director’s remarkable ability to build tension brick by brick, and the performers’ cleareyed approach to such sensationalistic material. Every actor shines, but the standouts are Julia Garner (“Ozark,” “The Assistant”) as the comparatively levelheaded daughter, and Michael Parks, in a performance of stunning melancholy and restraint, as the increasingly suspicious town sheriff.

‘Mom and Dad’
    Stream it on Hulu.

The opening credits of Brian Taylor’s pitch-black 2018 horror-comedy invoke the visual language of ’70s exploitation pictures, and the film that follows calls on the same anything-goes spirit. The legitimately shocking premise — an inexplicable outbreak of mass filicide — plays out in all its grisly, gory glory, but Taylor’s smart screenplay roots the conflict in the real frustrations and difficulties of familial relations, while Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair’s performances as the suburban-dwelling, minivan-driving title characters are both gleefully nutso and slyly genuine. By the midpoint, it becomes less a doomsday narrative than a series of dares from the audience to the filmmakers: “Oh no, they wouldn’t,” you might think, and it turns out that yes, they definitely would.

Quote Originally Posted by RaySH09 View Post
    Outlander series are well worth your time
    Wife wanted to watch that one so I was like "Ok. Let's check it out." We ended up blasting through all 3 seasons available on Netflix right now. Gotta love it when a show based on romance novels manages to sneak in tons of T&A + violence. Not gonna spoil it but end of Season 1 was brutal. Had a tough time making it through that one. Yeeeesh.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I watched the first 2 episodes and the T&A kept my interest and my wife and I thought we wouldn't continue in the middle of episode 2, but then the ending looked good. Starting watching episode 3 and it started to get good, but then got an important call and stopped, but will continue tonight.

Finished it last night; definitely stick it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

That Chapelle watch was really great. Really enjoyed it.
    Just watched I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore. Quirky and dark, so good for both the wife and I.

Has anyone watched Marcella? I just started it, and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Has anyone watched Marcella? I just started it, and so far so good.
    Definitely enjoyed it. Anna Friel is badass psychotic. Second season fades a bit.

Just started Avatar: The Last Airbender with the kiddo, seems pretty cool for a kid's show.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy