Page 107 of 137 FirstFirst ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3407
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    The Harder They Fall
    This kinetic revisionist Western borrows/pays homage to Spaghetti Westerns and Clint Eastwood's 1970s Hollywood Westerns, tossing in a lot of stylistic tour de force vusual elements to boot.
    The cast is phenomenal and the dialogue is whip snap sharp.
    My only complaint was the heavy use of slick R&B and reggae mixed in with a somewhat generic (and equally slick) score; often times the garish soundtrack detracts from the gritty action. And while there is some off-kilter imagery, the film, at least storywise, is ultimately akin to the more traditional and classic 1950s Hollywood westerns than anything else.
    Yet if you dig Westerns and lottsa acrobatic gunplay peppered with wry and sly dialogue, then this is a hoot.

RIYL
    High Plains Drifter; The Quick and the Dead; Silverado; Posse
    Lotsa fun but holy joe it needed 20 minutes removed to be anywhere near the pace appropriate for the material.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Lotsa fun but holy joe it needed 20 minutes removed to be anywhere near the pace appropriate for the material.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I kept thinking ..... " I hope this is as good as Django Unchained", but nope.

Netflix: instaView rec's

I thought it was fine, as wastes of time go, but it might as well have been a space opera for all it had to do with the genre or the time period. Might have been a better setting for that story, actually…..
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    It’s amazing. I miss it.
    Checked this out over the weekend, absolutely hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Checked this out over the weekend, absolutely hilarious.
    I didn't realize it was cancelled, the wife and I were hoping it was just a COVID hiatus. It's so good!
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Trying to get through the first season of American Horror Story. Difficult slog. IMO very well acted but JFC it's just scary as shit and a total downer.
    "Can't you see..."

Halfway through the third season of Narcos: Mexico. Bummer it has to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I thought it was fine, as wastes of time go, but it might as well have been a space opera for all it had to do with the genre or the time period. Might have been a better setting for that story, actually…..
    Considering it’s based on real people from the 19th century, it would be sort of hard to set them in space.

Nocturnal Animals
    This 2016 effort, the second feature film written and directed by designer Tom Ford, is an interesting genre clash fueled by a tight cast. Part neon noir, part vengeful love story, part avant art-house wtfuggery, it is never not engaging.
    Side note: watching Armie Hammer in the role of a adulterying sleazeball given his rummored sexual proclivities is kind of a trip.

This looks intriguing:

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I'm sold on this:

I humbly advise giving a hard pass to the new, live action version of Cowboy Bebop.
    I turned the first episode off after 7-minutes.
    I found it clunky and devoid of any of the panache and cinematic nuance found in the original anime.

Speaking of which, I feel one would be much better served watching the original 26 episode anime series, which is also currently streaming on NF, even if you don't necessarily dig anime, methinks you will enjoy it from both the sci-fi angle and its cinematic flair.

But, yeah, I highly advise skipping the live action effort.

Of course, YMMV...

Earthquake Bird
    So, I have been participating in "Noirvember", a loosely organized cinematic "event/challenge" where one attempts to watch a noir film every day for the month of November.
    I have been mixing it up by watching classic 1940s/50s noir and neo-noir films alternately.
    This little effort falls into the latter category, though it also reeks of psychological thriller.
    Without giving too much away, it's about a Swedish expat living in Japan who becomes entangled in a quietly menacing love triangle.
    Writer/director Wash Westmoreland does a solid job of keeping the tension and mystery tightly woven, making his characters disarming, and keeping us, the audience, just enough in the dark to question the reality of the situation.
    This is a nice, quiet thriller that moves along at just the right pace, slowly winding up for the jarring climax.
    Overall, this film is quite reminiscent of the thrillers of Claude Chabrol.

Finally watched all of The Other One. JHC.

"I've lived an...UNusual life"

Talk about getting in on the ground floor. I mean, ground zero to the 60s...and everything after..."see, i was walkin this direction, and I hear banjo music comin from over there. So I knocked on the door. see if those guys wanted to hang. and they did"
    "Can't you see..."

I hated Squid Game, it’s fucking stupid. I am however liking the new Korean show Hellbound, it gets seriously dark in the second episode.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Watched the first episode of Arcane.
    Wow, well done.
    Pleasing animation style; almost looks like it's been painted.
    Rich, multi-layered, highly textured world.
    Believable characters with good voice over work.
    Pretty sure the lead cop is the actress that played Christian Avasurala on the Expanse.

Anyway, worth a watch.

You are correct, Sir!
    Shohreh Aghdashloo.

Earthquake Bird
    So, I have been participating in "Noirvember", a loosely organized cinematic "event/challenge" where one attempts to watch a noir film every day for the month of November.
    I have been mixing it up by watching classic 1940s/50s noir and neo-noir films alternately.
    This little effort falls into the latter category, though it also reeks of psychological thriller.
    Without giving too much away, it's about a Swedish expat living in Japan who becomes entangled in a quietly menacing love triangle.
    Writer/director Wash Westmoreland does a solid job of keeping the tension and mystery tightly woven, making his characters disarming, and keeping us, the audience, just enough in the dark to question the reality of the situation.
    This is a nice, quiet thriller that moves along at just the right pace, slowly winding up for the jarring climax.
    Overall, this film is quite reminiscent of the thrillers of Claude Chabrol.

That trailer certainly looks interesting. Going to give it a watch.

Arcane is for real.
    Stunningly good.

Through episode five.

If this is even 1/2 As good as Trollhunter, Thale, or Rare Exports, then I am in!

Netflix: instaView rec's

Yep I’m all in on that, love the stuff coming out of Scandinavia these days.
    Last edited by buttahflake; 11-29-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

These Elves Need To Be Shelved
    Sadly, Elves is Super Meh and not worth the time.
    It succumbs to tired tropes and annoying archetypes.
    On top of that, the core protagonist is an insufferablly self-centered and cloyingly precocious pre-teen; the rest of her family is equally as bad, from the milquetoast dad to the overbearing mom.
    Sure, the lush Danish local and nifty creature effects are cool, but not enough to eclipse the heavy handed themes about clueless tourists disrespecting and destroying nature (I deal with this on a daily basis where I live, so it's the last thing I want to be hit over the head with in my cinematic escapism).
    Watch the trailer 60 times if you want to use your 2 hours to better effect (the show is 6 roughly 20-minute episodes).
    2/5

Thanks, I was just about to start watching it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Thanks, I was just about to start watching it.
    YMMV
    After all, I enjoyed Squid Game and turned off Hellbound after 7-minutes...

This looks intriguing:

It's live.