Page 82 of 137 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 3407
    Anyone watched The Family? My friend told me it's almost unbelievable. And true.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Also if you're into the horror genre, skip In The Tall Grass. Really, if you're into any genre, skip it. It's bad.
    Ah, man. I was hoping it would be good since it's directed by Vincenzo Natali, the guy responsible for Cube, Splice, and a few other really entertaining low-budget genre films.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Sound & Fury is worth a watch or three with headphones

El Camino.

So, I'm down in the Bay Area and the new Eddie Murphy Dolemite biopic is playing at a few select theaters. The ads in the papers say that it's coming to NF on 10/25...

Trying to decide whether or not to see it on the Big Screen or wait and also if I should watch an actual Dolemite film prior or wait until after seeing Eddie's joint...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Just finished the dark crystal series. Fuck yea!
    Indeed!!! Just finished it myself. I saw the original as a small child at the theater and have loved it ever since. When I heard the announcement about the new one, I was skeptical at best. Was expecting some lame typical cgi cash grab. NOPE! They used honest to goodness (and superb) puppetry. It drew me in like nothing has in a long time. Jim Henson would be proud of what was done with his baby. I loved it. HIGHLY recommended. Time to re-visit the original for the umpteenth time now that I have more insight as the the background. Slow clap for this one.

Nightmare fuel throughout tho but I enjoyed every second of it. They took the concepts from the film and cranked it up to 11. "Esseeeeeeeeence!!!" Heads up: Whereas both my kids (2 and 3 at the time) watched the original with me, this one I have NOT let them watch with me. Waaaaaaaay scarier for the wee ones. Damn good tho. 10/10.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

guess I'm not doing anything productive today..
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Oct. 4. Peaky Blinders season 5

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Indeed!!! Just finished it myself. I saw the original as a small child at the theater and have loved it ever since. When I heard the announcement about the new one, I was skeptical at best. Was expecting some lame typical cgi cash grab. NOPE! They used honest to goodness (and superb) puppetry. It drew me in like nothing has in a long time. Jim Henson would be proud of what was done with his baby. I loved it. HIGHLY recommended. Time to re-visit the original for the umpteenth time now that I have more insight as the the background. Slow clap for this one.

Nightmare fuel throughout tho but I enjoyed every second of it. They took the concepts from the film and cranked it up to 11. "Esseeeeeeeeence!!!" Heads up: Whereas both my kids (2 and 3 at the time) watched the original with me, this one I have NOT let them watch with me. Waaaaaaaay scarier for the wee ones. Damn good tho. 10/10.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, it’s really good. Watched it twice with the wife. And watched the original movie again, too. It was available for free on Netflix, and at least one of the other streaming services we use.

“The Family Man”. It’s an Indian series about an intelligence field agent who tries to hide that fact from his wife and family - kind of like Mr and Mrs Smith. Anyway, if you are willing to overlook some glaring plot holes, it is fun to watch. Lots of gratuitous violence, and some great background scenes. I give it 8/10.

One of my 9year olds is pretty sensitive to suspense in movies. he couldn’t make it through the first episode of the dark crystal. It’s so timeless, though, that I’m sure he’ll enjoy it in a year or so.

Sound & Fury is worth a watch or three with headphones
    One of the songs from the film
    https://youtu.be/SpSMoBp8awM

For the first time, Netflix released some data on what their most watched titles are. Nothing too surprising, but still interesting.

Netflix’s Top 10 Original Movies and TV Shows, According to Netflix https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/b...-tv-shows.html

One of my 9year olds is pretty sensitive to suspense in movies. he couldn’t make it through the first episode of the dark crystal. It’s so timeless, though, that I’m sure he’ll enjoy it in a year or so.
    While I know my generation endured FAR more nightmare fuel in movies than children of today (as a generalization), I can't blame your kid on this one. They went pretty far with the Dark Crystal series. I'm not complaining as I totally loved it, but some scenes I was like "Damn! They actually went there?!" Like I said, my little ones have seen the original film but I haven't subjected them to the series yet. Probably not for at least a few more years. Some of that stuff even lingered in MY head for a while and I've seen some pretty gnarly content over the years.

Definitely put DOLEMITE IS MY NAME in your queue (coming to NF on 10/25).

Saw it tonight on the BIG screen and it's the best damn thing Eddie Murphy has done in ages.
    The supporting cast is absolutely brilliant.
    Craig Robinson is one of my new favorite actors (I didn't know dude could sing and play piano).
    Wesley Snipes is off-the-nuts.
    Great docudramedy send-up of the Blaxploitation era.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundromat_(film)

The Laundromat

We need a lot more movies like this and The Big Short.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I will watch this, notwithstanding the mixed reviews. The Panama Papers (which is what this movie is really about) is pretty interesting stuff
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yes. Not as well executed at The Big Short, but the importance of the message is there.

All the sheep voting for more tax cuts for the rich should watch this movie.

I got too angry just listening to Gary and Antonio be superficial, arrogant asses ..... as in poor acting.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I got too angry just listening to Gary and Antonio be superficial, arrogant asses ..... as in poor acting.
    I took the whole movie as a group of caricatures based on real people.

It was a dark comedy based on real events docudrama.

A Darkreadocudrama.

loving the new season of 'big mouth'
    I ski the east.

not NFLX but on HULU - been LMAO at "What we do in the shadows" about vampire roommates. if you love silly humor

the guys from Flight of the Conchords did a film about this a few yrs ago but this series is better

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/wha...in-the-shadows
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Saw it tonight on the BIG screen and it's the best damn thing Eddie Murphy has done in ages.
    Craig Robinson is one of my new favorite actors (I didn't know dude could sing and play piano).
    Absolutely this. Totally fun movie and for sure the best thing Eddie Murphy has done since at least Coming To America.

I think the original is currently on Prime if you want to compare

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

I've been a Dolemite and Rudy Ray Moore fan from way back and I thought "Dolemite Is My Name" was pretty well done. My only minor gripe is it was difficult to ever see Eddie Murphy AS Rudy Ray rather than Eddie playing Rudy Ray, but I don't think it mattered much in the overall scheme of things.

My wife had never seen the original "Dolemite" movie, so we also watched that last night. It holds up.

I, sadly, have to admit that I still have not watched the original Dolemite movie upon which the EM flick is based. While I have known about it since the late '80s, somehow it slipped through the cracks back when I was writing about hip-hop culture (I have seen The Mack, Superfly, read Iceberg Slim novels, and many others films/books that had an impact on rap lyrics and the surrounding culture, though, but still "slept" on Dolemite).

FWIW, I think it might have been the Beastie Boys and then Robin Harris in House Party who first hipped me to Dolemite...but still I slept!

Also, for film nerds, Dolemite Is My Name was directed by the dude who did Hustle & Flow...

And for the hardcore rap nerds:

\

PS
    As mcski mentioned, the original Dolemite film is currently streaming on NF's competition (Amazon Prime).