Page 6 of 136 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    Thanks for the rec... watched it and LOVED it. I've been a Bill Hicks fan for a long time - but this was VERY eye opening. That stuff about them sharing a vision while tripping on boomers was wild.

Nice - that sounds right up my alley. Will check it out tonight.
    All I can say is that this episode made me angry for some reason. I'm fairly familiar with all of the concepts that were discussed - but I felt like they explained them pretty terribly. I guess that's the risk you take when they try to dumb science down enough for the layman.

But in any event - those hypothetical possibilities are fun to think about.

The Extra Man - really a little quirky and simplistic and compelling. Kevin Kline is AWESOME but somehow Katie "Raisinhead" Holmes gets top billing. I have ZERO idea how I never heard of this movie, it's like a prequel to Bored to Death. Also, they shot in Neue Gallery and that's rad.

P.S. the original Taking of Pelham 123 is an awesome time capsule of the early 70s, Walter Mathau is a genius.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    P.S. the original Taking of Pelham 123 is an awesome time capsule of the early 70s, Walter Mathau is a genius.
    Way better than the remake but the book's better than either.

netflix 'instaview'....never tried it.

So how long does an "instant download" of a two-hour movie take if you DON'T have 4G??
    I figure a two-hour movie is what? Maybe 2.5 gigabytes or more??

Or is it streaming? "instaview" sounds like streaming....but if it's streaming, then that's just like TV and I hate TV. "InstaView" weirdly brings back memories of Pontiac VistaCruisers and those cheap plastic 'ViewMaster' things with the circular slides. I loved those times.

4G seems it would be killer...you can d/l a two-hour movie in maybe 30 seconds (that can't be right!!)...too bad it's almost nowhere, yet.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Patrice O'Neal - Elephant In The Room

Holy shit did I laugh my ass off. Titty Meat.

Rover, it's streaming. Takes a few seconds for my PS3 to buffer up and then I watch it like a DVD via my cable modem.

Air guitar nation. F'n awesome. Funniest documentary this week.
    Hobo with a shotgun. F'n violent and skippable for sure. Not recommended.
    The producers. Original version. F'n fantastic.
    Blade runner. Duh.
    Ip man and ip man 2. Great kung Fu.
    Sideshow: alive on the inside. Great documentary on people in the sideshows. Really worth a watch. Not what I had expected at all.
    Iron monkey. Kungfu retranslated and rescored by Tarantino.
    The cabinet of dr. Caligari. Remake of 1921? Silent film. Great story and set.
    Kungfu dunk. Very entertaining. Likes of shaolin soccer.
    Haunted honeymoon. Great. Gene wilder starred and directed. Gilda Radner starred.

...and more that I can't remember or sucked. I have watched a lot of movies the past week laid up recovering from surgery. Rather be riding my bike.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Mad Men (Season 1-4)
    Monsters - Very good low budget sci-fi
    Sherlock: Series 1: The Great Game (3 episodes) - Thought this would suck, it did not.
    Patton - rewatched after seeing it about 20 years ago.
    The Kennedy's - interesting watch as a history buff. Jack was a man-whore.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Restrepo. Damn.
    Thanks for that.

Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Hooooleeeee hillbillies batman, with Hank III.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyman View Post
    Just watched 180 Degrees South and it is real magic.
    Just watched it this morning. Amazing flick.

So, anyhew, I noticed "Downfall"--the source of the famous raging-Hitler internet meme--was available and gave it a watch last night. Great performances, accurate, and really makes you feel like you are witnessing history... All in all a very good flick. About 2.5 hours long, so have some time to kill.

Edit to add: you might want to brush up on some of the bigwigs within the Nazi/Wermacht hierarchy before watching. The film assumes a familiarity with the key players--e.g. Goebles, Speer, Goering--and doesn't really explain in any detail who they are. Probably still very enjoyable going in blind, but really geared toward people who know their history.

Probably already been mentioned in here, but:

Hot Dog is available for streaming.

The Killing. - Kubrick's noir. It's good.

"Bill cunningham new york" was pretty interesting. He is a true NYC original. I have no interest in fashion but this movie kept me.

Party Down.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I just watched the documentary about Dr. Bronner the soap man.

It was pretty cool. The man definitely kept it really real. Seems like he kind of lived the crazy rant on his labels.

God Grew Tired of Us - Great doc on the lost boys of sudan

Pulling John - Doc on the longest undefeated record in professional sports... and its arm wrestling.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Surviving the Cut

Holy shit balls... if you ever think you're tough, this is a quick cure.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    "Hobo with a Shotgun". F'n violent.
    Highly recommended for the reason stated above. One of the best homages to grind house cinema of late and highly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Highly recommended for the reason stated above. One of the best homages to grind house cinema of late and highly entertaining.
    I literally felt bad after watching this. Fuct.

I'm sure its been mentioned, but I'm lazy today: "Louie" by Louie CK
    Great show. I think being a father helps the funny factor, but great all around.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by blowupthemoon View Post
    http://www.instantwatcher.com

Great site worth checking out that allows you browse streaming titles more efficiently. You can also play or queue these titles directly from this website.
    Worth bumping the link. Thanks for that.

We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen: http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?m...&trkid=4468940

H.R. Pufnstuf: The Complete Series: http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/H.R....eries/60033732

Found a cool series if you like delta blues. Real video of bad ass dudes singing and pickin the blues.

Mance Lipscomb and Lightning Hopkins

John Lee Hooker and Furry Lewis

Really cool. There's a few more too with Bukka White and Son House, Gary Davis and Son House, and Lightning Hopkins and Rooesevelt Sykes...

Almost posted in the Padded Room...glad I searched and saved myself a JONGing.

Here are some recs focusing on the low-budget, foreign, and otherwise easy to miss stuff that doesn't always get recommended by Netflix (wish they had a way to share recs with your friends...how come they have no social features on the stie?)

-Red Cliff - Epic historical war drama directed by John Woo, heavy on the martial arts.

-A World Without Thieves (crap, no longer available for streaming). Chinese kung-fu artists/con men try to work a grift on a moving train.

-The Next Three Days - Thriller about a man trying to break his wife out of jail.

-New York, I love You - indy film - a collection of shorts set in NYC

-Bodyguards and Assassins - the Qing Dynasty's imperial kung-fu guard tries to assassinate Sun Yat-sen.

Sukiyaki Western Django - a very odd Western movie by Japanese shock director Takashi Miike.

Raging Phoenix - Thai movie about a group of martial artists who try to break up a slave trafficking ring while fighting Drunken Master style.

Ip Man - Chinese martial artist stands up to the Japanese during their occupation of China.

Micmacs - this is a great movie, but doesn't lend itself to a capsule review. Maybe "man enlists circus freak friends to bust corrupt arms dealers"

Planet B-Boy - breakdancing documentary.

Mongol - The fictionalized early life of Genghis Khan, awesome.

Recently watched recs:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Werner Herzog's latest, first film crew ever granted access to France's ancient Chauvet cave.

Pearl Jam Twenty - Sick bio of the band directed by Cameron Crowe.

Page One: Inside the New York Times - Well regarded sundance doc about how the NYT and its reporters are responding to the world no longer giving a fuck about newsprint.

Quote Originally Posted by blowupthemoon View Post
    Pearl Jam Twenty - Sick bio of the band directed by Cameron Crowe.
    Watching now, good stuff.